Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Good price per condo in Calgary beltine?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (schoobie @ Oct 7 2010, 08:38 PM) .. I am not to sure how much to counter offer, or if I should at all?

How does the property look like ? Nice ?

How many vacancies ?

How about the area around it ? nice ?

How is the parking lot ? How about the state of common property elements: hallway carpets, boiler, roof, windows, lights, doors, mailboxes ? nice / upgraded ?

How healthy is the reserve fund ?

130 for a 1BR below ground is NOT a great deal .. you can buy those ALL DAY LONG in Edmonton or area for 85 to 100 with similar rents !!

TAKE YOUR TIME ! DO MORE HOMEWORK !!

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (schoobie @ Oct 7 2010, 09:38 PM) My mortgage broker quoted me 35 years and payments of $340 or $380 monthly depending on the final purchase price ($120k to $150k), plus condo fees of $250, property taxes of $80, maintenance of $50, vacancy $90, all-in will put the cost between $810 and $850, rents there are going for $850-$950. Resulting in a potential positive cashflow from $0 to $140.

What are the details on your mortgage? A 120,000 purchase with with 20% down amortized at 35 years requires an interest rate of ~2.45% for payments to be only $341, which suggest to me that you intend to get a variable rate mortgage. You mentioned your intended holding period is forever. Do you expect interest rates to remain at there current levels for the duration of that holding period? I would consider running the numbers with a more conservative interest rate, to ensure that even if rates rise you`ll still be ok.
Regards

Michael

schoobie

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:10 AM) Do you expect interest rates to remain at there current levels for the duration of that holding period? I would consider running the numbers with a more conservative interest rate, to ensure that even if rates rise you`ll still be ok.

Good thinking, thanks!

schoobie

Registered
My answers in blue.

QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Oct 7 2010, 10:14 PM) How does the property look like ? Nice ? Yes, but not like built in 2010, it is a 1960 renovated building, so it shows really well for its age.
How many vacancies ? Unknown, to me it looks almost fully occupied by looking at the balconies and poeple names at the main front door.
How about the area around it ? nice ? No, just average.
How is the parking lot ? How about the state of common property elements: hallway carpets, boiler, roof, windows, lights, doors, mailboxes ? nice / upgraded ? All nice and upgraded from what I remember, I am going again later today for a second visual inspection.
How healthy is the reserve fund ? Still need tocheck condo docs as part of the condition to purchase
130 for a 1BR below ground is NOT a great deal .. you can buy those ALL DAY LONG in Edmonton or area for 85 to 100 with similar rents !! This is my 3rd rental property, and I want to have them close to where I live (Calgary) that way I can manage them myself.
TAKE YOUR TIME ! DO MORE HOMEWORK !!
You are right, I still need to dig a little bit more.

Thanks for all the pointers!

Top Bottom