Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Good real estate litigation lawyer outside GTA?

donksky

Registered
How much is a lawsuit going to cost upfront? Or is there a complaint board I can go thru first to avoid time & expense - against inspector, vendor, my realtor or vendor`s realtor? Having bad water leakage from roof damage in the same spots that looked funny when I bought the duplex in aug. 08-tiles broken up in kitchen, loose tiles in basement, window crack - and my experienced investor friend said the inspector & vendor must have know these risks --vendor didn`t disclose this on the Q&A disclosure questionnaire & heard that even my buyer`s realtor or vendor`s realtor would be at fault as they sat down with vendor when he was filling out this form. Vendor`s a young divorced guy - should I pursue? who should I sue & how - is it worth it? can you recommend a good lawyer just outside GTa - maybe towards the north as the rental is 4 hours north of GTA? I don`t want an expensive Toronto lawyer.

Kimberly

Registered
Donna:
What about getting a quote from a few contractors/roofers so you`ll know exactly what the problem is, then depending what you found out, approach the seller first. The Q & A disclosure you speak of is probably what they call the SPIS form that sellers fill out. If so, I`ve read in OREA newspapers (Ontario Real Estate Agency and governing body for Ontario real estate agents) , reviews of court cases where buyers challenge the information either in the SPIS, or left out of it, and judges in turn can rule on a remedy.

If you get no where with the vendor, consider approaching the vendor`s realtor, pointing out the costs of the repair; that it was missing on the SPIS, and it is also their due dilgence to ensure it was on the SPIS -lean hard on that fact - and tell him what you want to remedy the situation. Maybe all your costs, a shared portion... whatever you feel is fair. Then if no remedy... step it up to the agent`s broker on record (owner of brokerage). So far would be putting out no $$(except for your time at this point). The next step could be a letter to OREA board for them to determine an outcome... ensure you let the agent know you are prepared to take this step as well. When the agent`s integrity is possibly put into question with both his broker and OREA, he may put pressure on the client to get them to remedy the situation.

Worth a chance.... you may also want to just contact all those mentioned above at the same time, to shorten you timeline on seeing who is prepared to do what.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom