Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Great cashflow, but low score on the prop goldmine score card

PBosse

Registered
I`m new to this and would love some advice.

I`m looking at a 12-plex in a not-so-great part of Kingston, that shows great numbers. I wouldn`t expect much appreciation, and there isn`t much of an exit strategy. Vacancy rates are very low, but I`m told this property is a little more hands on than what I could get in other parts of town - hence the low price. I`m based out of Ottawa, so I`d have to rely on a property management company, at least for the week to week stuff.

Here are the approximate figures:

12-plex: 650,000
Income: 98,000
Mgmt: 6,000
Tax: 20,641
Ins: 1,583
Utilities: 9,575
Maint: 5,000 (my own estimate)

A few notes:
- All tenants pay their own hydro (except one who is moving out soon)
- While Kingston isn`t one of the top cities, it does fit my Belize as that`s where we want to live eventually.
- I have some experience with tenants, but not with multi-families.

Any thoughts? Don`t hold back.
Cheers
Pierre

housingrental

Registered
I`m not familiar with this property but I`d bet that maintenance expense ends up closer to $12,000 than $5,000
You might need to pay for that for a management intensive building - when including rental fees 6% might not do it
There will be extra costs for cleaning common area`s, snow, grass, salt, capital improvements, damage to building, evictions / non payment of rent / ltb, lots of fun to be had with hands on buildings...

Make sure you have 100% confidence in the management company your choosing before purchasing... there are many that won`t take on places like this and few that will do a great job for cheap...

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Good thoughts by Adam on things to consider.

I`ll take a different direction. You should have an idea if this property meets your system. You seem to be aware of the pro`s (cashflow) and cons (lots of work, low appreciation). For me I can`t have my investments consuming lots of my time, but maybe thats ok with you for the cashflow. If you have plans to eventually do this full time, perphaps this works.

I would recommend you consider what it is you want to get out of real estate investing - i.e what life you want to live - and see if this fits. You also do need an exit stratgey, as this will help you (i.e. hold for 5 years, pay down 50k in mortgage, assume 2% apprecaiton, sell for 700k, etc).

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (PBosse @ Aug 17 2010, 08:32 PM)

Any thoughts? Don't hold back.

Talk to AT LEAST 3 property managers in Kingston about this area. Did you walk it in daylight and at night ? What is this neighborhood like ? You can improve the asset all you want .. but if the area is crappy then you will have headaches and rent collection issues until you sell (ask me how I know that)

Don't confuse pro-forma rent with net rent collected .. a difference of up to 30% !!

PM is 10-15% on such a small asset .. so much higher unless you live in a unit yourself and do it yourself !

R&M is likely higher depending on state of repairs.

50/door can be had in MANY locations in ON .. NO RUSH HERE on that price !!

I assume you're coming to the Aug.28/29 course in Edmonton .. a MUST for you !!

Related reads:

Items to consider when buying an apartment building: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/Real_Estate_Discussion/62-14548-Buy_vs_Build.html

Multi-Family Primer in May 2009 Issue of Canadian RE Magazine:

http://myreinspace.com/rein_members_only1/Members-Only_Discussion/81-10996-Multi-Family_Primer_-_May_2009_Issue.html

PBosse

Registered
Adam, Dave, Thomas,
Thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I`ve been reading your posts and your opinion means a lot. We`ve decide to pass for for a few different reasons. First, when using the figures you suggested, we got a little less excited. Secondly, we realized we were being a bit emotional, breaking one of the cardinal rules. Finally, we can`t make it to the Multi-family bootcamp and agree that it`s something we should do first. We`re just joining REIN now, so we`ll spend a bit more time on our education, apply a bit of patience, then jump in.
Thanks again,
Pierre

Berubeland

Registered
I can tell you that you can get good tenants but as Dave said you`ll need a pm that`s on board. It often takes one year or more to stabilize a distressed building. It also costs a fair bit. In a bad area you`ll want the best value place around so you can snag the best tenants.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (PBosse @ Aug 17 2010, 10:32 PM) I`m new to this and would love some advice.

I`m looking at a 12-plex in a not-so-great part of Kingston, that shows great numbers. I wouldn`t expect much appreciation, and there isn`t much of an exit strategy. Vacancy rates are very low, but I`m told this property is a little more hands on than what I could get in other parts of town - hence the low price. I`m based out of Ottawa, so I`d have to rely on a property management company, at least for the week to week stuff.

Here are the approximate figures:

12-plex: 650,000
Income: 98,000
Mgmt: 6,000
Tax: 20,641
Ins: 1,583
Utilities: 9,575
Maint: 5,000 (my own estimate)

A few notes:
- All tenants pay their own hydro (except one who is moving out soon)
- While Kingston isn`t one of the top cities, it does fit my Belize as that`s where we want to live eventually.
- I have some experience with tenants, but not with multi-families.

Any thoughts? Don`t hold back.
Cheers
Pierre

This sounds like an apartment I looked at a few years ago; 352 Conacher Drive, Kingston.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
A rule of thumb is that expenses are going to run about 30 - 35% of the income. For a building that is getting up there in age, or in a questionable area, they will probably be in the 40% range. Not being familiar with Ontario`s rental controls could mean that expenses are outpacing income, and the expense ratio may be even higher than that.

Be cautious and very conservative in your analysis.

NorthernAlex

Registered
Don`t forget expenses for Snow Removal!

Is there parking included? This can cost big $$$$, too!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Aug 22 2010, 10:19 AM) A rule of thumb is that expenses are going to run about 30 - 35% of the income. For a building that is getting up there in age, or in a questionable area, they will probably be in the 40% range. ..
only on well maintained, well located assets with seniors that don`t move.

A normal turnover per year is 30% .. so a new paint and carpet job every 3 years .. plus a month or so of vacancy even in a tight market due to turnover ... that adds up !!

FAR higher on newly acquired, usually uglier buildings with deferred maintenance and vacancy/collection issues !!

Also higher in high tax jurisdictions like SK or MB !!

or earthquake zones like Abbotsford due to higher insurance premiums !

Also higher in buildings with below market rents as expenses tend to be fixed .. thus % of rent is then higher !!

Top Bottom