Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GST on prebuilds

navaz

Registered
Hello EveryoneHere is an e-mail I got from Laura Holland -a real estate lawyer in Coquitlam BC -worth reading

Happy New Year everyone!

[/size]

I hope everyone had a great holiday! (I certainly did).

Here is my latest concern for clients which I want to share with you.

NOT ALL PURCHASERS WILL QUALIFY FOR A GST REBATE FOR RENTAL PROPERTIES

I have run across this issue for a few clients, who were caught off-guard, so I thought I’d pass it along. This is my old law school way of writing notes, so I hope it is clear!

FACTS:
A client enters a contract for a presale condo. The purchase price on the contract with the developer is $349,000 plus GST. By the time the property is ready, the fair market value is $452,000. The client pays the full GST on $349,000 at the time of Completion to the developer. The client rents the property for one year, and applies for the GST New Housing Rental Rebate.

ISSUE: Will the client qualify for the 36% Rebate on GST paid at the time of Completion?

SHORT ANSWER: NO.

REASON: The GST Rebate entitlement is based on the Fair Market Value of the property at the time of Completion.
In this case, because the Fair Market Value is over $450,000, no rebate is allowed.

Assuming all other criteria are met, a 36% Rebate for GST paid at completion is allowed for properties valued under $350,000
at the time of Completion.

A partial rebate is allowed for properties between $350,000 and $450,000 at the time of Completion. No Rebate is allowed for properties valued at more than $450,000 at the time of Completion.

With clients purchasing pre-sales with the hope that the value will increase before Completion, this may be an issue that they had not anticipated.

I called Revenue Canada about this issue, and was directed to the Rental Rebate Form (a current copy of which is attached). If you look at Section E Part I, lines D and E, you will see that you must report both the purchase price paid, and the fair market value of the property. This is specifically so that the GST folks can identify properties that have gone up in value, and may not qualify for all or part of the rebate.

-fonto:Arial-->
I asked how a client would know the fair market value at the time of completion, and was told that Revenue Canada expects the clients to make their best efforts to get an estimate of this figure. They said it was not necessary to order an appraisal, but that they should “maybe ask their realtor!” Good luck everyone!

If you have any questions about this or other legal matters, I am always happy to take your call.

Sincerely,

HOLLAND LAW GROUP

L. Holland

Laura Holland

Solicitor

#207 - 3975 North Road-->

Burnaby, BC V3J 1S2

P 604 421 6111

F 604 421 6119

ToddStokowski

Registered
Good information to pass along Navaz.

Even though the GST has been around for 17 years now, it is overlooked so often in business and real property transactions. GST on real property (real estate) transactions is very complex, much more so than Income Tax.

I think it is essential to run every large transaction past your accountant to see if there are any GST or Income Tax traps or tips that he/she can help you with.

Todd Stokowski, CA

BobHudson

Registered
We have been successful on both of our GST new home rebates even though we took title in the name of my wife`s company whereas our lease to own tenants moved in when the house was built.

In one case we were also able to apply for a percentage adjustment as the house was taken under contract prior to GST being reduced by one percentage point. This, too, was successful.

On advice of our lawyer, we did have to prepare an affidavit stating the house was purchased for the purposes of renting to a tenant. This was to counter the argument that my wife`s company took title with intention of her moving in but then we changed our mind and rented the place out.

Cargren

REIN Member
Hello Navaz,
A partner and I are purchasing a new townhome for in Cloverdale area for a rent to own scenario (2 year term). Purchase price is around $330000 plus GST.

Are we eligible for the GST REBATE FOR RENTAL PROPERTIES
?

Not that it`s of any relevance in this case, but we do have a GST # for business purposes.

Rob

navaz

Registered
Possibly -sounds cheeky, but there are issues and the answer is not clear cut -New issues are always coming up and a black and white answer is not easy

Some of the issues facing you are (remember to answer it from your point and CRA`s point and the two are not the same)

[list type=decimal][*]Are you a flipper?[*]Are you GST registeredDo you charge GST upon saleDo you qualify for a home/renters rebate based on fair market value at the time of purchase/sale?[/list type=decimal]And some more-talk to your accountant based on your circumstances and he will probably have to refer to notes/tax act and hence will take extra time to get a proper answer -not an everyday situation

Top Bottom