Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Halifax anyone

adamturner

Registered
Just curious if anyone out there has done any looking into the market in Halifax NS. I just visited there with my wife and are looking to do some investing there.

Any info on this province would be of great assistance.

I am really excited about my new membership with REIN, and looking forward to chatting with all of you out there.

Cheers.

Adam

rymac

REIN Member
Hey Adam,

I`ve lived in halifax from 03-07 and I have strongly considered investing there. Some background for you the city is strongly associated with government spending, big business is the military, the universities and health care. Large private players are the halifax port, irving shipyards and financial services for the large banks. Compared to the rest of the maritimes halifax has grown faster in terms of jobs and population.

The south end of the penninsula is an intensively competitive rental market. But thankfully still close to zero vacancy for clean, updated rental units. The city has more selection for multi-family property.

Good city, but i choose to invest in AB as I live and work out here now.

KenBoutilier

Registered
Hi Adam,

I own a property management company based in Halifax.
I would be happy to help you out. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Regards,
Ken

adamturner

Registered
QUOTE (ken @ Nov 23 2008, 02:44 PM) Hi Adam,

I own a property management company based in Halifax.
I would be happy to help you out. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Regards,
Ken

Hi there Ken. Thanks for the fast reply. The first thing I will be doing is trying to establish a group of people for my future investments in the HRM area. I have been doing some research on some brokers in the area and real estate agents that have been involved directly with multifamily units.

Do you have any experiences with people in these fields you could share with me?

Cheers
Adam

KenBoutilier

Registered
Hi Adam,

I do have several local contacts with real estate agents.
If you would like to email me directly more info as to
number of units etc. I can help.

Thanks,
Ken

adamturner

Registered
QUOTE (ken @ Nov 24 2008, 02:20 PM) Hi Adam,

I do have several local contacts with real estate agents.
If you would like to email me directly more info as to
number of units etc. I can help.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi there Ken. Just wondering if you could recommend a reputable broker in the HRM area. I tried to send an email directly but the Mac computer I am on has some issues with this site.

Cheers
Adam

adamturner

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Nov 22 2008, 03:42 PM) Adam, I am a native Bluenoser, currently living in Vancouver. Let me know if I can be of any help.

[email protected]

Hi there Dan. Do you know of any reputable brokers in the HRM area that deal with multi family units.

Cheers
Adam.

houseguest

Registered
Hello Adam,
We live in Halifax and have a few rentals here as well. My email address is [email protected] if you would like me to send you the name of our mortgage broker. We have tried a few and are really happy with this particular one.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Hi Adam;

I have not had any contact with ICI brokers in Hfx for about 8 years, when I moved to Vancouver. However, Mike or Verna (I think is her name) Turner @ Turner Drake & Assoc. and Bill Greenwood @ Greenwood Lane would be two places to start.

The big names in ICI real estate... Royal LePage, Avison Young, Colliers, etc now have branches in Hfx. Tim Margolian would be another contact, but I forget which one of these he is representing.

John Renouf @ General Realty Group is another I can think of. I can`t recall any names in the residential offices who work multi-family on a regular basis. I am sure there are a few.

You can use my name with all of these guys. With the possible exception of John, you would probably not be working with the names I have given you, but someone in their office.

richardkp

REIN Member
Hi Adam and all the others who have replied,
I am living in Fall River, 20 kms outside of downtown Halifax and am looking to add to my single triplex that I currently own in Halifax. I have an excellent realtor who I will pass details on if you want to PM me.
One thing I am struggling with is trying to find properties that are single family that we can rent out at a positive cash flow!
Triplexs and multi units (some of them) do produce positive cash flow but come at a hefty price tag as well!
I have done a fair bit of goldmine work on Halifax and will be happy to share to those who are interested. Financial Services are the big growth employers currently and the Dartmouth Crossing shopping complex is nearing completion with hotels, cinema, big retail chains and a smaller shopping area that you can walk from shop to shop.

I have to say that the prospects for Halifax, whilst not setting the world on fire, are a steady growth even in the recessionary times we have now. There are deals out there but for me personally, I am looking at the joint venture side now, as with a couple of other deals nearing completion, I have used all the funds available.

You can email me with any specifics at [email protected]

regards
Rich

ctang

Registered
Hi all,

I`m thinking about becoming a REIN member. However, how much benefit will I get out of this as I`m living just outside (30 min) of Halifax since most events/seminars and members are West of Toronto?
I am excited about investing in Real Estate as I feel will allow me to achieve financial freedom in years to come so right now i`m just educating myself through books and talking to other RE investors (not sure how successful they are). What i`m really looking for is the support from other Halifax RE investors but also any opportunities to learn about RE investing in the Halifax area.

Love to hear from anyone,

Chung

srichardhfx

Registered
Hi Chung,

I'm in Halifax. Like you, I'm just getting started and found all Don R. Campbell's books to be extremely useful. I wish there were events in Atlantic Canada but maybe that's going to happen when we have a critical mass of REIN members here.

All the best to you in achieving your financial dreams.

Stephan

Top Bottom