Having Tenants Pay For Hydro in Ontario

WSJ

REIN Member
Hello Everyone,

We are from Alberta. One of the buildings we have in Ontario has separate meters. Right now we pay for the hydro. But we want to have the tenants pay for their own hydro, can we start doing it one by one at turn over, or we have to covert all units at the same time? Do we need approval from some office?

Thanks a lot,

Wen Jiang

nicholsons

REIN Member
QUOTE (WSJ @ Apr 7 2008, 12:47 AM) Hello Everyone,

We are from Alberta. One of the buildings we have in Ontario has separate meters. Right now we pay for the hydro. But we want to have the tenants pay for their own hydro, can we start doing it one by one at turn over, or we have to covert all units at the same time? Do we need approval from some office?

Thanks a lot,

Wen Jiang

You`ll need to first approach the tenants of each of the units and have them call the hydro company to have it switched over.

Draft up a little notice to the tenants explaining that you want to save them money by havning the hydro in their name.

Explain that you`ll be dropping off the hydro portion of their rent. Give them examples

Old way
Current Rent $800
Hydro $200
Total current$1000

New way
Current Rent $800
Hydro by tenant $100
Total $900

The tenant now saves $100/mth

If I was your tenant I`d be vary grateful to save $100/mth. The tenant will now want to do their part for the environment by managing their electricity consumption.

nicholsons

REIN Member
User issues. Can someone delete my extra posts

I just wanted to get the number of posts that I have up.