Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hello, and a few questions...

Ready4Rent

Registered
Hello, first off what a great site with a wealth of information. I have read quite a few posts etc, and have picked up a few pieces of great advice already.

The question I do have is, When selecting a property manager for your properties what are your biggest concerns?

1. Communication
2. 24/7 Maintenance
3. Price (7 percent vs. 10)
4. Monthly statements etc.
5. Hourly Rate
6. Monthly Exterior Inspections
7. Interior Inspections twice yearly

I am always looking a better ways of doing business, and improving our services.

Thanks in advance for your input

John Schutten
Ready 4 Rent
[email protected]
www.Ready4Rent.ca

DanBarton

Registered
Order of importance for myself is as follows: (taken from your list)

1. Communication (do they call me back)
4. Monthly statements etc. (are they detailed, including recipes for repairs, are they timley, is the rent deposited constantly?)
2. 24/7 Maintenance (how effective is the team)
6. Monthly Exterior Inspections (being proactive)
7. Interior Inspections twice yearly (I would be impressed)
3. Price (7 percent vs. 10) (I`m willing to pay for professional, well done, management, this is a non-issue if the previous are done well)
5. Hourly Rate

Hope that helps!
Dan

SeanFlatt

Registered
Hi John,

Picking quality tenants has to be the #1 priority.
7% to 10% commission really is a low priority.
Responding to maintenance issues is obviously important. However, the response must be in the form of physical action to make the repair either immediately or within 48 hours depending on the nature of the problem. A verbal response to placate the tenant doesn`t cut it at all.

With the small duplex that I own in Brantford I am now on my second property manager. I have also dealt with a property manager in Hamilton with less than stellar results earlier in my investing career. I have found that once I have chosen quality tenants and handed the property over to a manager there are very few problems until its time for a tenant to move. Once a tenant gives notice there are some immediate action items to be taken care of:

1) Get the notice in writing on the proper provincially sanctioned form.
2) Inspect the unit as soon as possible and make a list of things that need to be done.
3) Notify the owner of the list of repairs / suggested improvements.
4) Make sure the tenant understands their responsibilities on move-out for damages, cleanliness etc.
5) If the unit shows well, start advertising and showing the unit (you kow they`re moving out so why not get it rented for a few days after they move out??)
6) Have an action plan, line up the workers and cleaning crews for the day they move out.
7) Be present during the move-out process and go through a final inspection of the property with the tenant that has moved out.

Having a plan of action is really what I`m talking about. Deal with the "what if" scenarios before they actually happen. Having a tenant give notice and move out is just one example.

Anyway, having regular inspections is something I do with my property managers at least twice a year.

Responding to the needs of the tenants in a timely fashion and recognizing that they are the customer not the pain in the *%$& that lives there (although they can sometimes be that).

Again, picking quality tenants has to be my #1 priority. Treating them with respect, showing them your clearly outlined policies and procedures, having a welcome basket for their move-in, bringing a box of donuts with you on an inspection for them to enjoy, encouraging timely payment of rent with gift baskets at Christmas time, and the list goes on.

Hope this helps.

Sean Flatt
[email protected]

Ready4Rent

Registered
Sean,

Thanks for your imput, we do 1-6 allready, although we do number 7 a few days before they move to ensure they know that they are responsible for damages and that we will pursue them if we have to. If your interested in a third p.m. give me a call :)

John

Top Bottom