Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hmm looking for some advice

bron3003

Registered
Went to do my 6 month check up on my property..
Heres what I found.

Garbage all over the backyard and side of the house.
Possible squaters ( Tenant was away but people there said were just staying while she was away) She has already expressed she wanted to move.
Apparently friend(neighbour) who knows the tenant has a key
Not even sure if she (tenant) is actually living there, her rent is paid by the city.

there are a few things I am wondering.
1. With the garbage, can i call the city? I know if i ask someone to clean it up for me and give her the bill it will never get paid, possbily i could put it in her name?
2.If she isnt living there, the city finds out and lets me know. Am I legally able to turn off the utilities? Everyone told me when I was there that they were just staying while she was away.

3. I had read somewhere that you can evict if renovations were going to be completed. Anyone have anymore information on this?

Thank you
B

housedoc

Registered
Advice?
Visit your property more often.
Learn the rules before you buy.

You may be surprised to find you`ve been played.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
start eviction procedures according to the local landlord-tenant act that differs by province. That may take between 14 and 100 days ..

Fire the property manager .. or if it is you ask yourself if this was a wise move !

Clean up the place yourself or hire someone. Assume YOU pay for this .. no one else. if you`re lucky you can get the damage deposit and deduct it eventually.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
If the original tenant isn`t there, the rent won`t be paid by the city. I suspect that you will not see Sept. rent. If you don`t, file immediately to the RTDRS on Sept. 2, without wishful thinking and hesitation and get the ball rolling. File against "tenants name and all other occupants:".

Today, go by your property and deliver a 24 hour notice that you will be coming in to view their property, to check the condition and take pictures of possible damages. (or whatever you need to say to legally check your property) You could just simply say you are coming to check furnace filters. Make sure you bring a second person and a camera. That works best because you can then talk and the extra person can casually snap pictures to gather evidence if you feel necessary.

Not everyone has the gift of being able to landlord. Maybe consider not self-managing. There`s no room for wishy-washy nicey nice when it comes to a tenant that clearly doesn`t follow the tenancy agreement.

You don`t like what is happening at your property, be firm, take action, and solve it quickly. Don`t sit on the side line and belly ache about them, if you were the one not paying attention. It`s not your fault this is going on, it`s just your fault if you don`t take action quickly.. Step up to the plate!!

housingrental

Registered
1. City will bill you. Contact tenants. Document. Photo. Get taken care of in future if they dont. Sue for damages.
2. I`m confused by this question
3. Evict for other reasons
Check your local landlord and tenant website for your province as a start - call the help line - if you need more guidance give a call to a paralegal
Don`t procrastinate - do this today

bron3003

Registered
Ok thank you everyone for the help.. this is a problem in Ontario.

Can I evict then for her being such a slob? I will get in to take pictures but what clause can I evict under?

Again if I do evict her and her 60days is up, am I legally allowed to turn off utilites?

Where can I find landlord and tenancy acts for ontario?

Thank you for the people with patience in answering these questions

housingrental

Registered
Generally no
You can get in to take pictures by giving at least 24 hours notice in writing of a maintenance inspection
No, you cannot turn off the utilities to the place
Check out www.ltb.gov.on.ca as a starting point

Top Bottom