Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Home inspector to avoid in Hamilton

thecrow79

Registered
For those of you looking for a home inspector in Hamilton. Avoid:
Chuck billingsley.

He came as a recommendation, however after taking my electrician and plumber with me to double check I was convinced I would have got myself into a lot of trouble buying that home. He did not detect the knob and tube wiring in the entire house!
I have heard two other horror stories where one person is now spending a lot of money to fix something he should have picked up!

manojsingh

Registered
Hi There,
May be you are right but my experience is different. He always gave me good advice and he is doing all my inspection. I am fully satisfied. May be your expectation is too high for inspector. Thanks
QUOTE (thecrow79 @ Feb 2 2010, 09:23 AM) For those of you looking for a home inspector in Hamilton. Avoid:
Chuck billingsley.

He came as a recommendation, however after taking my electrician and plumber with me to double check I was convinced I would have got myself into a lot of trouble buying that home. He did not detect the knob and tube wiring in the entire house!
I have heard two other horror stories where one person is now spending a lot of money to fix something he should have picked up!

thecrow79

Registered
My expectation is to have a professional perform their job. Having spoken to many others who have had very similar experiences and those who have been in real estate/investing for many moons: they agreed on some key points that he should have identified and pointed out. My suggestion to you would be to get a second opinion you may be surprised what you will find out that he did not point out in your homes.

QUOTE (manojsingh @ Feb 2 2010, 08:36 AM) Hi There,
May be you are right but my experience is different. He always gave me good advice and he is doing all my inspection. I am fully satisfied. May be your expectation is too high for inspector. Thanks

larysa002

Registered
QUOTE (thecrow79 @ Feb 2 2010, 09:23 AM) For those of you looking for a home inspector in Hamilton. Avoid:
Chuck billingsley.

Thank you for letting us know.
That`s a big failure for inspector, as there are ways to detect knob-and-tube even if not visible.
What`s his company ?
Can you recommend your electrician and plumber ?

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (thecrow79 @ Feb 2 2010, 08:23 AM) For those of you looking for a home inspector in Hamilton. Avoid:
Chuck billingsley.

Like Manoj I`ve used Chuck and was satisfied with him, also used a joker called hmself `BLT Home Inspections` he seemed honest and well intentioned but misdiagnosed some stuff, my realtor corrected him on, the realtor is a journeyman carpenter and home builder.
Both the realtor and inspector missed a huger issue in this same inspection, I won`t go into it...

housingrental

Registered
Check for RHI designation when using a home inspector
It is NOT mandatory but many good ones will have it

Nir

REIN Member
Adam, the guy thecrow mentioned is a RHI too(!)

I agree with thecrow - not detecting knob and tube wiring in the entire house is unfortunately a huge basic mistake!

he is a RHI which is a bit surprising. perhaps he had a really bad day, was sick or something because investors here who
are REIN members did recommend him in the past !?

thecrow, your input is appreciated!

Regards,
Neil

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Feb 3 2010, 08:49 AM) Adam, the guy thecrow mentioned is a RHI too(!)

I agree with thecrow - not detecting knob and tube wiring in the entire house is unfortunately a huge basic mistake!

he is a RHI which is a bit surprising. perhaps he had a really bad day, was sick or something because investors here who

Regards,
Neil

Did you guys see the inspector`s show on CBC market place in coop with Mike Holmes?
Here`s the link: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/grow_op...er_up/main.html

Not that I believe everything that is said here. My own home inspector was quite keen on checking for molds and grow-ups without urging. Also, you can check on-line for properties busted as grow-ups in the past and the status of `remediation`: http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/publiche...llegal_drug.htm

housingrental

Registered
Wow
I`m surprised then
In Waterloo haven`t seen a bad one with the designation
thecrow: Had it been updated in a number of sections maybe?

QUOTE (investmart @ Feb 3 2010, 10:49 AM) Adam, the guy thecrow mentioned is a RHI too(!)

Regards,
Neil

Top Bottom