Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How can I collect rent due if a tenant leaves early?

JoseTejera

Registered
How can I collect rent due if a tenant leaves early OR for violations such as smoking in the property etc?

Is there a collection company in Ontario that is recommended by rein to use?

Thank you,

Jose

invst4profit

Registered
Your best option is to file with Small Claims court. For a couple of hundred dollars, which will be included in the claim, you will be able to garnish there wages assuming you have there SIN, place of work and banking info which you collected when they applied to rent.

Collection agencies are hit and miss and generally not highly motivated to chase this type of criminal.

Do you have a LTB ruling on your tenant. If you do you simply take this to small claims and you get a automatic court ruling against the tenant.

http://www.ontariolandlord.ca/forum/

Go to the forum link above and you should get all the assistance you need. There are several LLs with considerable small claims experience.

RandyDalton

Registered
Hi Jose,

If they have vacated the property and you are totally sure of that then your best bet is to move on and count your blessings that they are gone. Clean up the property, perform due diligence on the next tenant or hire a property manager to do likewise, and get your next tenant moved in as quickly as you can.

If you are not 100% sure they have moved out you can proceed with an eviction through the LTB and since they will not show up at the tribunal you will receive an uncontested order for eviction. Saves you any problems in future in case they do come back and want back in.

As for past rent, you can chase via small claims court however you need an address in order to serve papers. I find this is always more successful when you serve the papers before they leave the unit as opposed to afterwards.

Might be best at this point to just move on. Better karma (spelling) associated with positive directions of getting new tenants then the negative vibes of chasing deadbeats.

Regards...Randy D.

Top Bottom