Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How condo prices vary

Albertritchot

REIN Member
In multi family condo properties, it seems as if prices hold up initially when condo fees are low (first 2 or three years) and subsequently become soft. I notice this in Airdrie properties on MLS.

My question is this: are condos generally a poorer investment than a duplex. Is the price of a condo significantly affected by th rise of condo fees? If so, is it always better to purchase a condo at the height of the rise in the condo fees? (example, Point of View type properties)

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Albert

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Albertritchot @ Nov 19 2009, 08:40 PM) ..

My question is this: are condos generally a poorer investment than a duplex.
usually .. but not necessarily as it depends on price, area, upside ..

QUOTE (Albertritchot @ Nov 19 2009, 08:40 PM) ..
Is the price of a condo significantly affected by the rise of condo fees? ..
yes .. but only if unusually high as it may indicate a deficiency .. usually indicating a seeding of the reserve fund has to happen or high utilities !

Condo values are affected by supply and demand and affordability and interest rates and in-migration and area and size and view and mortgageability and seller`s motivation .. just like a house/duplex !

The question is somewhat too vague !

What is better ? A used VW or a 6 year old BMW ?

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Nov 19 2009, 08:55 PM) What is better ? A used VW or a 6 year old BMW ?

Hi Thomas:

BMW guy couldn`t resist the semi-thread hijack.... the answer is: the 04 Bimmer! "All cars are new once - a BMW is a BMW forever....." - nothing handles, drives and performs like one (not that I am biased or anything....)

(The real answer of course is: it depends.....)

Neill

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (neill @ Nov 19 2009, 09:55 PM) Hi Thomas:

BMW guy couldn`t resist the semi-thread hijack.... the answer is: the 04 Bimmer! "All cars are new once - a BMW is a BMW forever....." - nothing handles, drives and performs like one (not that I am biased or anything....)

(The real answer of course is: it depends.....)

Neill
I see .. a 2 year old Passat is not better than a 6 year old beemer ??

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Nov 20 2009, 10:56 AM) I see .. a 2 year old Passat is not better than a 6 year old beemer ??

Hi Thomas - if you measure "better" by driving dynamics, fun to drive, performance, handling, the 04 wins hands down.

If you measure "better" by value for $ vs new originally, warranty remaining, toys and trinkets, then the Passat wins hands down.

I tend to put more emphasis (again I am admittedly biased) on driving experience, hence my leaning towards the Bimmer - we have so many clients that after purchasing their first one come back later and tell us "I get it now", when we talk about driving experience, and I have had plenty tell me "Everything else prior to this has been mere transportation, like an appliance"

In the case of the Passat, a darn decent washing machine, but drive one back to back with a BMW and you will see.....

Again, the true answer is "It depends", as both sell in their respective market segments well used. (new is another story....)

Cheers!
Neill

Top Bottom