Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How important is a dishwasher?

moparcanuck

Registered
Question for those who have experience with this. How much difference does a dishwasher make to the rentability (and I guess the rental rate) on your properties. I'm looking at a duplex that seems to be in great shape (built in 1980, but most of the interior was redone a couple years ago). However, the kitchen is a bit small and there's really no reasonable way to add a dishwasher. This is a first for me, since all my places have dishwashers in them (and numerous people on showings have been quite glad to see one). Does anyone supply a portable rolling dishwasher to their tenants in order to make it more rentable? Seems a bit much to me, but if it really makes a difference, might make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the thoughts and discussions.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
It's a major item that will result in a much lower rental rate and many rejections, but like any feature is a factor only, likesmallbackyard, view of a cemetery, on a busy road, ugly wallpaper, unfinished basement etc...

mortgageman

Registered
I have a place where there's a small kitchen so we have a portable dishwasher. The tenants actually decided to move it out to the garage and prefer to wash by hand. Great tenants and the rent is $1647 per month plus utilities. I'd suggest that all things being equal though most people want a dishwasher.

moparcanuck

Registered
Sounds like what I figured. I guess if I can actually get a deal on the place (going to make an offer today) I will have to start looking for a portable dishwasher. Quick glance, they're not terribly expensive (500-700).

JimWhitelaw

Registered
In my experience, dishwashers add to rentability but not to rental rate. Plus they're easily the least reliable of all appliances. I'd avoid them altogether if I could, but our strategy of offering "premium" suites demands them.

I bet if you offered a choice of a portable dishwasher or an Xbox as a rental incentive, 99% would choose the Xbox.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Other points to consider are where to store the dishwasher when not in use and how much space will it take when in use.

If you don't have a good corner to keep it in when not in use, it could be more of a hindrance than a help. Same thing if it takes up the entire kitchen when in use.

We have one property that could accommodate a portable dishwasher, but we have never had one. We still get the same above-average rent as for our other properties and no troubles with vacancy.

What we did at the last changeover was to increase the rent by $50 in the ad (I'm in Alberta), and then offer to either purchase a portable dishwasher or discount the rent by $50/month for six months. These tenants took the discount.

housingrental

Registered
Would you choose to live in a place without a dishwasher?

If there is choice in your market, the top quality renter is always going to choose the unit with the desired features. The type of profile you are targeting, and your local market, should help answer this for you.

Of note I've seen few cases where adding a dishwasher does not provide a significant return on investment.

Tony Miller

Ottawa's Investor Focused Realtor
Registered
Has anyone ever seen a coin-op dishwasher? That would be ideal :)

DanW

Registered
Hi Mopar,

I just bought a used portable dishwasher that was in excellent shape for $100 from that easyhome rental store. I checked and they have two locations in Red Deer. Sure the appliances have been rented out, but they are only a few years old and to save $400-$500 is pretty good. The one I bought works perfectly.

Top Bottom