Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How much does it costs you for property management?

KeithdeBraganca

Registered
I am working on the numbers for a sixplex in Toronto (my first property) and was wondering if you could share what percentage or amount you pay for property management. Hopefully, it will a help a lot of us.

Thanks

Keith

donksky

Registered
Depends on the property mgr. you get: I shopped for property mgr. first -ask for quotes, rate sheet & plug that in - fortunately in the 1st condo I`m getting, mgr. was in place for 7% - simply stated -that`s usually % of gross rent. 5-10% is the norm - some prop. mgr. charge per door.

navaz

Registered
A good one will make you money -so 7-12% is cheap- a bad will cost you money -fire them even if they are cheap! good and cheap does not exisit, expensive and good exists, expensive and bad also exists so be carefully

bobbie

Registered
QUOTE (navaz @ Apr 25 2008, 09:37 AM) A good one will make you money -so 7-12% is cheap- a bad will cost you money -fire them even if they are cheap! good and cheap does not exisit, expensive and good exists, expensive and bad also exists so be carefully

I`m paying 8% of Rent on Vancouver Island 10% was common. Just a note on the sixplex,given its your first purchase , remember to factor in commercial mortgage not residential mortgage.

Best,
Barb

Yev

Registered
Another issue to consider is whether the PM charges separately to manage and extra to re- rent the units. They may quote you 5% but also ask for 1/2 up to a full month of the rent to re-rent the unit. I still have not decided if I prefer to pay a TOTAL management fee (a % that includes both managing and re-renting - this is my current arrangement) versus paying for the re-rental of the units separately (gives the managers an incentive to rent them out as they only get paid after the rent them).

What do others do?

Yev

KenBoutilier

Registered
Hello everyone,

As the owner of a property management company In Halifax I will confirm that as previously stated the norm is 5-10%, also the fee for renting, called leasing fee is also standard and ranges from half of one months rent to a full months rent.You need to evaluate all the fees combined as some companies also charge for advertising and administration fees etc.I am also a firm believer that a good property manager is key to your success especially if you invest in area were you do not live.

Regards,

Top Bottom