Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How much to dig a basement or foundation

ccameron

Registered
I have to opportunity to purchase a bungalo 2bdrm. totoally renovated on a huge 160x130 ft. lot with beautiful tall trees and seclusion. My banker however says that the bank may have issues with the fact that it sits on block and pillar. I believe that if the $ were not to high perhaps putting a foundation under it or even a basement would be worth the price of $84 000. It is also on septic. Any comments...as far as a rental it has tremendous tenant appeal!
style_emoticons

bobbie

Registered
QUOTE (ccameron @ May 8 2008, 07:22 PM) I have to opportunity to purchase a bungalo 2bdrm. totoally renovated on a huge 160x130 ft. lot with beautiful tall trees and seclusion. My banker however says that the bank may have issues with the fact that it sits on block and pillar. I believe that if the $ were not to high perhaps putting a foundation under it or even a basement would be worth the price of $84 000. It is also on septic. Any comments...as far as a rental it has tremendous tenant appeal!
style_emoticons

Hi ccameron,

You might want to google some house moving and raising companies in your area. I`m gathering you would need to raise the house. If the location and zoning allows basements , it seems a good way to
add value if affordable. Would depend where the septic field is, usually is in the back yard meaning you wouldn`t want construction to disturb the field. I`m sure companies that often move and raise homes for this purpose would be able to answer some of your questions and estimate the costs.

Barb

ccameron

Registered
QUOTE (bobbie @ May 8 2008, 07:57 PM) Thanks Barb, thats a good place to start.I will check that out and hopefully get the answers that I am hoping for. Regards Chris
Hi ccameron,

You might want to google some house moving and raising companies in your area. I`m gathering you would need to raise the house. If the location and zoning allows basements , it seems a good way to
add value if affordable. Would depend where the septic field is, usually is in the back yard meaning you wouldn`t want construction to disturb the field. I`m sure companies that often move and raise homes for this purpose would be able to answer some of your questions and estimate the costs.

Barb

MonteDobson

Registered
Just to give you an idea, we built a new home last year and the basement foundation alone was quoted around $60K. So raising a house, cutting off/reconnecting services and construction etc for a project like this would be significantly more I would expect. Concrete and steel (ie. rebar) are very expensive right now.

Talk to a local contractor, home mover or foundation guy and they will be able to give you a more accurate assessment of costs and whether this would be feasible or not.

ccameron

Registered
QUOTE (C2Ventures @ May 8 2008, 08:28 PM) Just to give you an idea, we built a new home last year and the basement foundation alone was quoted around $60K. So raising a house, cutting off/reconnecting services and construction etc for a project like this would be significantly more I would expect. Concrete and steel (ie. rebar) are very expensive right now.

Talk to a local contractor, home mover or foundation guy and they will be able to give you a more accurate assessment of costs and whether this would be feasible or not.

Thanks for the reply. Prices are ridiculous for some things. I found a guy who is great at plumbing but do to his personal life doesnt hold a license, the difference between what he charges me to do a 1/2 hour job and what my usural plumber charges are signifigant. I dont mind paying fair price but some costs you cannot justify. Hopefully this home pans out and the price is still worth the investment. Regards Chris
style_emoticons

bobbie

Registered
QUOTE (ccameron @ May 8 2008, 08:38 PM) Thanks for the reply. Prices are ridiculous for some things. I found a guy who is great at plumbing but do to his personal life doesnt hold a license, the difference between what he charges me to do a 1/2 hour job and what my usural plumber charges are signifigant. I dont mind paying fair price but some costs you cannot justify. Hopefully this home pans out and the price is still worth the investment. Regards Chris
style_emoticons

Would depend on the footprint of the house the sq. feet , how difficult the site, we were looking at modular homes on Vancouver Island last year, wondering what the costs would be to construct the foundation, we were told depended on complexity of design, whether the site was flat or difficult, rocky, hilly, but we got a rough estimate of from $4000 - $10,000, on simple site , upwards if complex. Just shows you the variables. This did not include hooking things up or raising a house.

Barb

StevenRoorda

Registered
ccameron,

A friend of mine bought a house that had to be raised in order to replace his foundation. It was a two story 3000 sq.ft. house. The cost was something around $35-40,000. As an irrelevant aside, I have also used the same contractor to move an old stone house to a new location. Quite the project - this one was significantly more expensive, but included the moving of the 440 tonne heritage house over a two day period.

I would suspect they would be able to do work in the Niagara Region, since they are from the London area.

Contact: Continental Building Movers - Murray Abra - (519) 289-5733

Here is a link to some detailed contact info:
http://www.manufacturinglondon.com/search/....php?Thisco=312

Steve

ccameron

Registered
QUOTE (StevenRoorda @ May 9 2008, 10:10 PM) ccameron,
Thanks Steve, I will give them a call. I am looking at a few different properties to purchase. Prices are great in Niagara and I want to take advantage!! Have a great weekend and thanks for the recomm
style_emoticons
endation. Chris
A friend of mine bought a house that had to be raised in order to replace his foundation. It was a two story 3000 sq.ft. house. The cost was something around $35-40,000. As an irrelevant aside, I have also used the same contractor to move an old stone house to a new location. Quite the project - this one was significantly more expensive, but included the moving of the 440 tonne heritage house over a two day period.

I would suspect they would be able to do work in the Niagara Region, since they are from the London area.

Contact: Continental Building Movers - Murray Abra - (519) 289-5733

Here is a link to some detailed contact info:
http://www.manufacturinglondon.com/search/....php?Thisco=312

Steve

Top Bottom