Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

how often should one visit their rental property

Ian

Registered
I live in BC and have a rental house in Red Deer. How many times a year should I go out there to "visit" the house?

Ian

MrHamilton

Registered
QUOTE (Ian @ Apr 21 2009, 04:07 PM) I live in BC and have a rental house in Red Deer. How many times a year should I go out there to "visit" the house?

Ian

Hi Ian,

We send someone to inspect every three months even though our four properties are within walking distance. That`s the same as what Don mentioned at the last ACRES event in T.O. last weekend.

All the best!
Erwin

GarthChapman

Registered
Let your gut read on your tenants help to guide you in this. Maybe as little as once a year or as often as once a month. More frequency reduces risk, as long as it is not so often that you are interfering with your tenants` enjoyment of their home.

But ultimately make this an element of your management system. So maybe every 2 or 3 months you stop in to replace the furnace filter, check the humidifier, etc. Every spring you may need to co-ordinate a spring cleanup (you don`t need to do the work but you could be there to decide what is to be done). Every fall you need to do some winterization maintenance (shut off the outside hose bibs etc).

donksky

Registered
if it`s a condo where tenants pay all utilities, what excuse can I make to do a visit (really an inspection & checkup)?

invst4profit

Registered
Just tell them you are coming from out of town and want to do a once over to make sure everything is working OK.
It is your property and you are entitled to visit whenever you deem it necessary.
Give plenty of lead time for them to clean as it will probably be the only time it gets a thorough cleaning.
They do know you are only there to check up on them so there is no reason for secrets, after all it is your property.

Top Bottom