Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to build a real estate portfolio?

Angie11504

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Dear REIN Coach,

I have heard people are talking about real estate portfolio, but don't understand which kinds of portfolio is suitable for me and how to build it.
Please advise.

Thanks,
Angie

Last edited:

stuartjmac

Real Estate Investment Advisor (REIA)
REIN Member
Hi Angie.

You asked a great question that many beginning investors ask (or should ask). The type or types of real estate that you should hold in your portfolio will be very specific to your circumstances, and may change over time. It will depend on your resources (mostly time and money, as well as knowledge and experience) as well as personal preferences. Some people love to work in single family units, while others prefer multi-family. Some people have great success with commercial while others do well with storage units. You will need to determine what you want or need from your real estate portfolio, and what type (and location) of properties best fit your needs.

To help in figuring this out, there is a great book by Peter Kinch, called “The Canadian Real Estate Action Plan” - I found that the methods Peter described in this book to be very helpful in planning a strategy. At the right time, having a good coach will also help you map out a plan.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using myREINspace

Angie11504

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi Angie.

You asked a great question that many beginning investors ask (or should ask). The type or types of real estate that you should hold in your portfolio will be very specific to your circumstances, and may change over time. It will depend on your resources (mostly time and money, as well as knowledge and experience) as well as personal preferences. Some people love to work in single family units, while others prefer multi-family. Some people have great success with commercial while others do well with storage units. You will need to determine what you want or need from your real estate portfolio, and what type (and location) of properties best fit your needs.

To help in figuring this out, there is a great book by Peter Kinch, called “The Canadian Real Estate Action Plan” - I found that the methods Peter described in this book to be very helpful in planning a strategy. At the right time, having a good coach will also help you map out a plan.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for answering my question. No matter which kinds of property, the big concern is how people can do the fixes to the rental properties; the more properties they have, the difficult it is. I only have a few properties right now, but already feel exhausted when fixing small things to the property as nobody want to come to fix the small tasks. I think this applies to all kinds of properties.

Please advise.
thanks, Angie

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Delegation is critical.

Don’t confuse getting things done with doing them yourself.

Every journey beginnings with a small step, then another, then another. rarely is there an initial huge leap.

You made a wise choice to further your education, your family's networth and your mindset to move from "Ready, set, set, set, set ..." to GO.

Here are some initial REIN posts that I have done over the last 7 1/2 years that you may find a good read.

Last edited:

Devin Roberts

Devin Roberts - Brent Roberts Realty
REIN Member
Thanks a lot for answering my question. No matter which kinds of property, the big concern is how people can do the fixes to the rental properties; the more properties they have, the difficult it is. I only have a few properties right now, but already feel exhausted when fixing small things to the property as nobody want to come to fix the small tasks. I think this applies to all kinds of properties.

Please advise.
thanks, Angie

Hi Angie,

Maybe you should get a property manager? This puts these kinds of problems into the managers hands and is much easier for you. Something like a pre-sale or newer home may be of interest to you as they are in great condition and don’t usually have any problems for the first few years at least.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

bb2

Registered
Hi Angie,

Maybe you should get a property manager? This puts these kinds of problems into the managers hands and is much easier for you. Something like a pre-sale or newer home may be of interest to you as they are in great condition and don’t usually have any problems for the first few years at least.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

I️ have self managed for my entire real estate career - 30 plus years. While it is not for everyone it teaches you a lot of important things - how to deal with tenants, how to find a good handyman, how to deal with renovations, how to be a good time manager etc. Once you feel you understand what it takes to manage properties then find a property manager.
I’ve used the same plumber for 30 years. It’s important to develop relationships and to treat people well and then managing becomes easier. After all the years of managing tenants and renovations I’m very comfortable with any kind of renovation and effectively working with tenants.
Realize that if this wasn’t a hard business more people would be doing it. There are always tough times but these are usually amazing learning moments.

Rickson9

Registered
I’ve never managed a property in my life. Nor would I want to. In lieu of dealing with tenants and plumbers, I’ve been spending time with my family.

There’s no need to be a property manager before hiring one. Personal preference.

I’m very comfortable with renovations and dealing with tenants.

A property management company has been a boon to me and my family. A completely worthwhile expense.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I’ve never managed a property in my life. Nor would I want to. In lieu of dealing with tenants and plumbers, I’ve been spending time with my family.

There’s no need to be a property manager before hiring one. Personal preference.

I’m very comfortable with renovations and dealing with tenants.

A property management company has been a boon to me and my family. A completely worthwhile expense.

Amen to that.

Angie11504

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Thanks a lot everyone! I haven’t got time to log in to myreinspace for a few days and suddenly seen so many warm and helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Angie

jay1214u

New Forum Member
Registered

Please advise.
thanks, Angie

I am also in the same boat and as a result plan to move to commercial real estate.

Top Bottom