Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to filtre out bad tenants early

therenoguy

Registered
Hi all,

I've received a lot of good information from REIN over the years that has brought me closer to my goals, so here's a small nugget that might be helpful to someone.

When I advertise a property, I always mention right in the ad that, "please be aware that I am very careful about checking references." This filtres out a lot of the bad tenants and scam artists, but not all.

I have no phone number on the ad, only an email address. That way I'm not inundated with dozens of people asking me questions that are already answered in my ad. When an email comes in, I shoot them this response:

Hello there,

Here are some things you should know about my house that may not be on the ad. Please read it carefully as there is important information here. If you think this house would work for you, call me and we will arrange a viewing in the next week or two.

I am very careful about checking references regarding employment and rental history, as well as the validity of those references. Sorry to be so blunt, but if you have red flags that my checking is going to dig up, close this email and move on so neither your time or mine is wasted.

-There are * bedrooms and * baths upstairs. There are * bedrooms and * baths down.

-Rent as of August 1is $**** per month. Damage deposit is 1 month's rent.

-I do not do month to month rental, ever. There will always be a lease in place with a set term. We will do a 6 month term to begin with, then if it is working for both parties, we can do a 1 year lease after that.

-Pets are considered at $25 per month, per head.

-The tenant is responsible for the yard maintenance(such as lawn mowing) and shoveling the walk in the winter, including the sidewalk out front.

-All utilities are the responsibility of the tenant

This may be the place for you if:

-You are respectful of your space, and treat it accordingly.

-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">-You have plenty of good references with good, stable employment and rental history

-If you want to stay for a year or more

-You don't ever smoke in the house

-You don't have big parties at your house.

-You are able to come meet with me and see the house in the next week or two

If you're still interested and think you'd be a good candidate, please reply to this email, or call Keith at ***-***-**** and we can arrange a viewing.

I recently rented out a suite at out house, and am currently doing so on a house in NE Calgary. In both cases I started with about 60-70 emails, and this email scared off all but the best. I hear back from about 7 or 8, show to 3 or 4, and have my pick of the litter. It's a great system.

AndyLuchies

Registered
Anyone from Ontario wanna chime in? Gotta be careful in the commie province how you sound to tenants.

I heard of a "friend" who would always state during the interview that the late fee for rent was $50 (which is not allowed according to landlord tenant board I understand). If the possible tenant had a problem with that the first question is "why is this a problem for someone who plans on paying the rent all the time?" But the kicker is when the tenants would know that's not allowed and say "that's not allowed under the rules of the Landlord Tenant Board?" Somehow those professional tenants who knew all the rules never passed the interview stage.... funny that.

KevinSolomon

Registered
[quote user=AndyLuchies]Anyone from Ontario wanna chime in? Gotta be careful in the commie province how you sound to tenants.

I heard of a "friend" who would always state during the interview that the late fee for rent was $50 (which is not allowed according to landlord tenant board I understand). If the possible tenant had a problem with that the first question is "why is this a problem for someone who plans on paying the rent all the time?" But the kicker is when the tenants would know that's not allowed and say "that's not allowed under the rules of the Landlord Tenant Board?" Somehow those professional tenants who knew all the rules never passed the interview stage.... funny that.

No 'professional tenant' would show their hand like that. They may do it once out of ignorance, but that's about it. Simply note the ignorance of the landlord and what is illegal under the landlord tenant act. And then bring it up with the landlord tenant board after moving in. Stop rent. Mission accomplished.

tnguyen

Registered
Awesome filtering system. Do you still do the credit check for those best apples you picked?

MooseHead

Registered
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I have always added "Credit checks, character reference checks, and criminal background checks of prospective tenant(s) to be completed without exception." in my ads which has worked well. I also only include my email (one specifically for my rental properties and not my personal email) and proceed with a phone call from there should the "email phase" go well.

Cheers,

MH

3rd

Registered
THERENOGUY,

thanks for sharing! My system is very similar.

In addition, when I get first email, I google and check interested person on facebook (probably 75% of the people had accounts). That would give me a good idea what to expected even before meeting in person.

therenoguy

Registered
At risk of being voted off the island, I don't do credit checks because, a) I try to only own decent places, which means if you're renting from me you have a good income, and if you have a good income but aren't buying, it means you have crappy credit, b) I've scared off people who were otherwise good tenants according to my other checks, but felt it was too invasive and weren't willing to give up a SIN, c) if your last two landlords say you always pay your rent, and your job checks out, that has always been enough of a filtre for me.

Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom