Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How To Find The Property Owner?

misty

Registered
As an Investor, you come across a potential property to purchase. You see the property is vacant. You know the property has been a rental. You are able to pull Land Title and find out who the owner is of the property. However the title only lists the address of the property you are looking at for the Owner.

Where do you go from here? How do you contact the property owner?

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Very Strange... Indeed.

All real properties must have an owner registered in the Land Titles (could be owned by the city but that would come up).

Where did you pull the Land Title?

It the property is located in Ontario, email me and I will see what I can dig up for you.

[email protected]

misty

Registered
Thanks Gary,

I am out in Calgary. I use the Spin 2 Alberta Government website for titles.

It does provide the Owners name, however it only provides the address of the property I am looking at.

There is no other contact information provided for the Owner.

Dan

PaulPoulsen

Registered
If you've got a name and assuming it's not something common like James Smith, I'd start with 411 and see if the owner has a listed number. Plug the name into Google and into Facebook and see if something hits.

Also search for the address on Google. You might find an outdated listing or another piece of information that might give you a new direction to search.

You could send a letter to the address. Presumably sooner of later someone is going to have to pick up the mail.

If that doesn't produce a result, try leaving a letter at each house on the block. Make it something that neighbours will want to respond to. "I love the house located at XXX and want to see if the owner will sell it to me so I can fix it up/cut the grass/address whatever problem the neighbours have with the property."

Talk to a Realtor and have them see if the house has ever been listed on MLS. If yes, track down the listing Realtor and ask about the owner. There might be a personal connection or maybe they stay in touch.

If you still can't track him/her down, you can try contacting all the utility companies, the police, the bank (if there's a mortgage on title), etc. I don't think that this will have a very high probability of working but if you get the right person on the right day, they may take pity on you and point you in the right direction. I don't think they'll hand over personal information (or at least I would hope not) but maybe they'll offer to contact the owner on your behalf or have a better suggestion as to where you might want to look. This is really a Hail Mary but if you're stuck, what does it hurt to try?

ChrisDavies

Registered
Dan, you should also try pulling the transfer (the first registered document on the title). That often has more information, like a real address or an attorney's name who you could contact.

Top Bottom