Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to Network Properly

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
shake-hands.jpg
Hi Everyone, I hope you are doing well. As you begin your real estate investing career, the people that you surround yourself with become increasingly important as time goes on.

Throughout your investing career, you will have many different experiences and will face many different obstacles.

The people that you surround yourself with will either be able to help you during these tough times, or they won’t be able to help you a all.

It becomes increasingly important that you network with purpose, because as you encounter obstacles as a real estate investor, you want to be able to reach out to people that you have met along the way that will be able to help you.

As an aspiring real estate investor, the challenges that you face will be quite different than the challenges that someone who owns 5, 6, or 7 rental properties will face.

This is why it is also very important that you are meeting and networking with new real estate investors, with varying levels of experience.

You constantly need to be adding on people to your social network. When I say social network here, I mean it in the context of people that you know that you can reach out to at any time. Whether it be during a time of need, or just to simply say hello.

Birds of a feather flock together

I pay attention to detail and I have noticed some similarities within real estate investment groups. In these groups, real estate investors with similar levels of experience tend to gravitate to one another. They gravitate to one another because they have something in common. For example, aspiring real estate investors who have not purchased their first rental property can often be seen associating with other aspiring real estate investors.

Further, real estate investors with one rental property may feel comfortable hanging out with others who have just bought their first rental property as well.

In addition, real estate investors with multiple rental properties often enjoy the company of others that have also achieved what they have accomplished.

Real Estate investors just like the rest of the population tent to gravitate toward and feel comfortable around people that share similarities with them.

It is your responsibility to know that in order to become a better real estate investor, you cannot always hang out with people that have the same level of experience that you do.

In order to get to the next level
, you have to network and hang out with real estate investors who have accomplished more than you have.

So how does one network properly?

Networking properly is really quite simple. It is something that I have been very good at, however, it came so naturally to me that I never even realized that I was good at it. I began to realize that I was good at it, when people started to ask me for advice on how to network.

In my opinion, here is the most important thing that you need to do when networking:

YOU NEED TO LISTEN

Many people think that networking should be an intense experience where you go out to an event where you need to power through the room and talk to every single person in the room and exchange business cards with each and every person. To some, this may be an ideal form of networking, however to me, it is a waste of time.

If you approach networking as an opportunity to listen to what people have to say, you will find it tremendously worthwhile.

SIMPLY APPROACH PEOPLE AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY DO

Students of >Dale Carneige know that people like to talk about themselves. The more you can master listening to others, and talking less about yourself, the more the other person will appreciate the conversation, and the more you will learn about the other person. (I highly recommend trying this if you have not done this before — you will be very impressed with the outcome) Be genuine. Listen to what the other person has to say. If you feel a good connection with this person take note. Also, if they repulse you beyond believe, also take note.

IT IS NOT ABOUT TAKING, IT IS ABOUT GIVING

Another very important lesson that people have to learn is that you don’t enter into a networking event to take from others. You enter into a networking event to give to others. If you listen to what people have to say, and where appropriate you offer them help as to how they can improve their real estate business, you are providing them with real value. You have to be genuine with your intentions. If you cannot offer them any help, don’t. Just listen to what they have to say, and perhaps follow up with them at a later date and time with any help that you can offer.

It is also a good idea to follow up with them at a later date, asking them to talk more about themselves. For instance, if there was something that they had mentioned in their real estate business that you found particularly interesting, take a mental note of that. Ask them further about this, and let them talk about it.

The bottom line is that people enjoy talking about themselves. Allow people to talk about themselves and you in return will benefit a great deal. You will learn a lot about them, and the other person will have appreciated the conversation the two of you had shared.

In summary, networking as a real estate investor is not that hard, you just need to focus on doing the right things. If you approach every real estate investment group meeting with the same game plan, you will be very happy with the outcome.

To network properly you need to first listen. Listen to what others have to say. Let them talk. You do not talk. If you are talking more than they are, you are not listening.

You then need to simply ask people what they do. Let them explain what they do, and let them tell you all about their real estate business.

Finally, never approach the activity of networking from the position that you are looking to take from others. Always keep on the forefront of your mind that you are there to give something of value to others. Look to help others with their real estate business. Perhaps you can share with them the name of a good property manager, the name of a good painter, or you can share with them some of the key things that you have learned as a landlord.

Make these 3 changes to how you network, and you will notice a dramatic change in how people respond to you.

Best Regards,

Neil Uttamsingh

PS:
To keep up to date with my blog, enter your e-mail address on the LEFT
hand side of the blog. To receive The First Rental Property Newsletter, enter your e-mail address on the RIGHT
hand side of the blog. In the newsletter, experienced real estate investors will share with you how they purchased their first rental property. They will also share with you some tips and tricks in order to help you get started.

JDaley

Registered
Nice post, but the comic you have posted on your blog, "Thanks for paying my mortgage!!", in whatever context you mean, is probably not the wise thing to do. As landlords we should and must value our tenants and treat them with the respect they deserve, particualrly when tenants pay us large fees every month to occupy a rental unit. Although tenants are not all the same, the majority I have had (99%), have been great people and some with very promising careers. A better view of tenants would be to see them as customers in a business you own.

Thanks.

housingrental

Registered
Neil treats his tenants with respect and care
A more customer service focused landlord is rare
Don`t read too much into one graphic on a blog

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Dec 11 2010, 11:19 AM)

Don't read too much into one graphic on a blog

I didn't mean to suggest he wasn't a good landlord (as I mentioned), but the comic does seem inappropriate (and not very smart) particularly when so many landlords shouldn't be landlords
<
I hear it all the time about horror stories of tenants (yes tenants do suffer too !), I'm sure you have too so feeding the fire doesn't help. That's all I meant.

JDaley

Registered
btw just a comment here about this forum, and I do post on a few others although not frequently, but this forum ranks as the most defensive or aggressive (depending on what you post) - I`m not sure why - not matter what I post, if it sounds like it makes sense I`m either remorsely attacked or discredited. ppl should relax a bit - just freindly posts nothing more.

housingrental

Registered
I agree with you that it might not be ideal
<

QUOTE (JDaley @ Dec 11 2010, 01:35 PM)
I didn't mean to suggest he wasn't a good landlord (as I mentioned), but the comic does seem inappropriate (and not very smart) particularly when so many landlords shouldn't be landlords
<
I hear it all the time about horror stories of tenants (yes tenants do suffer too !), I'm sure you have too so feeding the fire doesn't help. That's all I meant.

housingrental

Registered
There is a need to defend others when they are unfairly portrayed - so if you are unsure why you're receiving that type of feedback now you should know.

A more appropriate choice would have been for you to email the poster directly with your comments. This could allow for him to be aware of your perspective, and make changes, without the need for publicly attacking him. I trust you will do this in the future.

Your comment had nothing to do with his post - it would be one thing if he had posted that graphic and you were responding to it but that is not the situation.

To be clear I value the contributions you have made, and it is nice to have a more conservative perspective on investing (that I share) represented on the forums. Please keep in mind what you write might be read by hundreds of people and they can be left with the wrong impression of Neil. I appreciate this might not have been your intention
<

QUOTE (JDaley @ Dec 11 2010, 01:41 PM)
btw just a comment here about this forum, and I do post on a few others although not frequently, but this forum ranks as the most defensive or aggressive (depending on what you post) - I'm not sure why - not matter what I post, if it sounds like it makes sense I'm either remorsely attacked or discredited. ppl should relax a bit - just freindly posts nothing more.

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (J Daley @ Dec 11 2010, 01:41 PM) btw just a comment here about this forum, and I do post on a few others although not frequently, but this forum ranks as the most defensive or aggressive (depending on what you post) - I`m not sure why - not matter what I post, if it sounds like it makes sense I`m either remorsefully attacked or discredited. ppl should relax a bit - just friendly posts nothing more.

Funny I feel the exact opposite about this forum. Personally I believe this forum is far too lenient/soft when responding to many that post.
I view this as a business forum dealing with a very important, somewhat risky subject where indirect or overly optimistic responses may lead many novice investors astray.
It may be that the posts from individuals such as myself may have tainted your opinion but I believe I am in the minority here.

As an example I believe your opinion of tenants is somewhat naive and likely to get you in trouble in the future. Although you may possible view that as aggressive or a personal attack on you it is not. It is simply my opinion based on too many years of dealing with all types of tenants.
As far as respect of tenants is concerned you may well be correct but tenants, as with anyone, must first earn that respect it is not simply given. Farther to your comment regarding tenants paying large sums to occupy a rental unit you should keep in mind we, as LLs, are doing them a favour allowing them to live in our property they are not doing us any favours. They may be viewed as customers but this does not imply we are indebted to them as such.

I prefer, as you suggest, to operate strictly on a business level which places customer happiness as a important priority however in my business the customer is not always right and must understand my business priority comes first.

By the way Neil one of the things I have personally noticed through out my life is directly related to your point regarding whom investors chose to associate with in life.
This goes beyond which investors they chose to associate with and includes there choice of personal friends. I have observed that as people become more successful those which place a higher importance on succeeding naturally gravitate away from those around them that are less successful. I believe that investors starting out that try to maintain relationships with friends that are not similarly motivated are often held back by those relationships.
Those friends are often the naysayers and skeptics which seldom rise above there present standards and tend to become resentful of those more successful.
Individuals should definatly, as you have pointed out, gravitate to those that have achieved a higher level of success in both there business and personal relationships. A level which they also desire to achieve.
As they say "Money breeds Money".

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Dec 12 2010, 04:23 PM)
A more appropriate choice would have been for you to email the poster directly with your comments. This could allow for him to be aware of your perspective, and make changes, without the need for publicly attacking him.

Overall, I agree with the message behind your post, Adam. I'd just minorly adjust it to say "This could allow for him to be aware of your perspective, and make changes, without feeling like he was being publicly attacked."

Otherwise, JDaley could feel like he had to go on the defensive, too, which was not your intention, I think.

:)

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Dec 11 2010, 11:41 AM) btw just a comment here about this forum, and I do post on a few others although not frequently, but this forum ranks as the most defensive or aggressive (depending on what you post) - I`m not sure why - not matter what I post, if it sounds like it makes sense I`m either remorsely attacked or discredited. ppl should relax a bit - just freindly posts nothing more.

I agree with Greg in this case. This forum is a pretty collegial place, and although disagreements occur regularly, they tend to be based on poster`s wanting to give the best possible advice.

I think you may be better off assuming that people disagreeing with you are basically good and are trying to give you the benefit of their experience. My life has always gone better when I`ve assumed people are basically trying to be nice. This is especially true on the internet, when you can`t read voice and facial cues.

Michael

housingrental

Registered
Thanks JohnS

You have a point

I wish I had written that

You are truly a beacon of light - thank you - I appreciate you
<

QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 12 2010, 05:45 PM)
Overall, I agree with the message behind your post, Adam. I'd just minorly adjust it to say "This could allow for him to be aware of your perspective, and make changes, without feeling like he was being publicly attacked."

Otherwise, JDaley could feel like he had to go on the defensive, too, which was not your intention, I think.

:)

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

jseib

Registered
Another alternate view point would be that having a cartoon like that (I haven`t personally seen it) could offend a tenant who decided to google their landlords name and stumbled on their blog.

Very rare likelihood but in this digital age, something to consider for those of us with blogs etc..

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
[quote user=invst4profit]
QUOTE (J Daley @ Dec 11 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way Neil one of the things I have personally noticed through out my life is directly related to your point regarding whom investors chose to associate with in life.
This goes beyond which investors they chose to associate with and includes there choice of personal friends. I have observed that as people become more successful those which place a higher importance on succeeding naturally gravitate away from those around them that are less successful. I believe that investors starting out that try to maintain relationships with friends that are not similarly motivated are often held back by those relationships.
Those friends are often the naysayers and skeptics which seldom rise above there present standards and tend to become resentful of those more successful.
Individuals should definatly, as you have pointed out, gravitate to those that have achieved a higher level of success in both there business and personal relationships. A level which they also desire to achieve.
As they say "Money breeds Money".

Hi Greg,

I agree with your comments here completely.

Similar to your life experience, as I personally began to get more involved with investing, I noticed that people started to treat me differently. Not everyone, rather a select few friends.

My association with them started to become somewhat awkward as I was experiencing increased sarcasm and ridicule from them.

They would 'jokingly' attack my accomplishments.

I had to end my association with them immediately as I wasn't going to stand for their negativity.

Such is life.

The good thing that happens is that as we become more successful and interested in achieving more, we find new friends that are similar to us, that can constantly push us to achieve more.

Most of my friends now that push me to achieve more, have come from REIN. :)

All the best,

Neil.

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
[quote user=JDaley]
QUOTE (housingrental @ Dec 11 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't read too much into one graphic on a blog

I didn't mean to suggest he wasn't a good landlord (as I mentioned), but the comic does seem inappropriate (and not very smart) particularly when so many landlords shouldn't be landlords /public_forums1/f/61/p/98300/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif I hear it all the time about horror stories of tenants (yes tenants do suffer too !), I'm sure you have too so feeding the fire doesn't help. That's all I meant.

Hi JDaley,

You raised an interesting point that I wanted to respond to.

The cartoon that you are referring to, I placed on my blog intentionally.

Here is a link to the cartoon for those that have not sen it: http://www.firstrentalproperty.com/who-else-wants-their-rent-paid-on-time/

As per Adam's comment, he knows my character, and knows that I am not a malicious person.

However, there has been one point that has been missed in this entire thread, that I wanted to hightlight as the reason why I posted this particular cartoon.

The reason is:

Controversy

I have been studying successful bloggers over the past year, as I have been working hard at developing my own blog. One of the principals that the most successful bloggers teach is the element of controversy.

In order to become a successful blogger, you need people to read the content you are producing. If no one reads your stuff, your blog is not going to become successful.

As a result, I am embracing controversy more in post that I write. Not every post, rather the occasional post.

When I was looking for a graphic for the contoversial blog post mentioned above, when I came across the picture of the landlord, I did not like it.

I did not like it because of the many reasons mentioned in this thread. I thought that it was a bit too mean, and made me look like a big bad landlord, or at least gave the impression that I may be a big bad landlord.

However, as a smart blogger, I knew that this graphic was perfect, as it was a bit 'cutting edge' and could be interpreted in many different lights.

In summary, I know that there are a lot of real estate investors who are working hard at developing their own personal blogs.

If your goals is to gain as much traffic as possible, I would recommend writing the occasional controversial post. This type of post will draw attention to your blog and get people talking....as we have witnessed here.

All the best,

Neil Uttamsingh.

Top Bottom