Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to Verify Income of Potential Tenant on Disability

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,

A specific question about income verification:

As part of the rental application process we ask for the employer`s phone number
in order to be able to verify income if needed among other things we do like asking for pay slips.

However, what if the tenant is saying he is on disability - how should I verify his income then?
I`m assuming his case worker/government employee will not share any personal information with me.

In this case, do you just ask the tenant to send you proof of his/her recent income/disability payments?

THANKS.

Berubeland

Registered
I always ask for payslips. Or in case of someone who gets direct deposit their bank statements.

Employer verifications are getting more difficult as the Privacy Act keeps a lot of employers from telling you if the person does or does not work there. And anyone with a computer is able to produce letterhead and an employment letter that states they make as much as they want.

So I always ask for pay slips the best is right at the first showing the person gives you a arinkled up payslip they are carrying around in their wallet or from under their car seat.
QUOTE (investmart @ May 17 2010, 10:42 AM) Hi,

A specific question about income verification:

As part of the rental application process we ask for the employer`s phone number
in order to be able to verify income if needed among other things we do like asking for pay slips.

However, what if the tenant is saying he is on disability - how should I verify his income then?
I`m assuming his case worker/government employee will not share any personal information with me.

In this case, do you just ask the tenant to send you proof of his/her recent income/disability payments?

THANKS.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Some disability payments can be made directly to the landlord. Not sure if this applies to you, but in Alberta we have had a couple of tenants on disability where the tenant pays the rent to us but also a couple of tenants where the Alberta government pays us directly. Gotta love it!

In either case, Alberta landlords must complete a "rent report" that the tenant submits to their case worker. The tenant will know in advance if the rent will go to them or to the landlord.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ May 17 2010, 08:39 PM) Some disability payments can be made directly to the landlord. Not sure if this applies to you, but in Alberta we have had a couple of tenants on disability where the tenant pays the rent to us but also a couple of tenants where the Alberta government pays us directly. Gotta love it!

In either case, Alberta landlords must complete a "rent report" that the tenant submits to their case worker. The tenant will know in advance if the rent will go to them or to the landlord.

Regards,
Sherilynn

my understanding is that it is the tenant`s decision whether you will get it directly from the government or from the tenant.
the case worker will do what the tenant wants, not what you want. well, unless you want the same

New related question: is it possible a tenant on disability receives money from Ontario works? the tenant said he is on disability but on the rental application mentioned Ontario Works. also, provided an intent to rent form used by Ontario Works not ODSP.
if you had to guess, is he most likely lying or most likely using the wrong department name in his application?
Yes, I will also ask him

TX.

PropertySolution

Registered
I also have a few tenants who are subsided and they make direct payment.

Direct Payment can be made mandatory for all subsidized applicants. This is convenient but I cannot emphasize enough to encourage you to complete the application and your qualifying process as usual. Although the rent is guaranteed this does not insure they are a good Tenant.

PropertySolution

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ May 17 2010, 10:15 PM) New related question: is it possible a tenant on disability receives money from Ontario works? the tenant said he is on disability but on the rental application mentioned Ontario Works. also, provided an intent to rent form used by Ontario Works not ODSP.
if you had to guess, is he most likely lying or most likely using the wrong department name in his application?
Yes, I will also ask him

TX.

Could this be a structured insurance payment that is related to his disability?

Top Bottom