Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I Buy Houses

DineenJJ

Registered
Hey just a quick question for anyone who may have posted real estate signs around the city...

According to Edmonton Bylaws,
  • Peace Officers remove signs from boulevards, traffic circles and intersections and issue $250 fines.Signs are impounded to a secure sign compound for 30 days after which the signs are destroyed if they are not claimed.
So If I put out movable "I Buy Houses" signs around the city with my PATlive number on it, will the city track that and fine me or just impound my signs?

What have been other people`s experience with this form of advertising?

tonypeters

Registered
Dineen, there is no question the city of Edmonton has definitely clamped down on this form of marketing. There were a lot of companies that were abusing the by-laws, so the city started to play "hard ball" (increased the amount of fines) with the companies that were constantly abusing the rules.For instance, we received 8 ($250) fines in one month alone! However, they can only fine you if they know (company or individual) who to fine. Given that we included our Registered Trademark name on our signs, the city had a direct link to our company name and our registered (corporate) lawyer, so all of the fines were channeled through our lawyer`s office.

There is NO question
, the "BANDIT" signs will definitely provide you with the "BIGGEST" bang for your marketing dollar, so if you can utilize them without drawing direct attention to you or your company, they will serve you very well!

The other tip
is to be extremely selective when you chose your locations. Do NOT strap them to sign posts, as the city traffic department really frowns on that one and you will only draw more "NEGATIVE" attention to yourself.

Personally
, I try to follow the by-laws but stretch the envelope a little, if you know what I mean?

Hope this information is of help to you?

QUOTE (DineenJJ @ Nov 16 2009, 10:11 AM) Hey just a quick question for anyone who may have posted real estate signs around the city...

According to Edmonton Bylaws,

• Peace Officers remove signs from boulevards, traffic circles and intersections and issue $250 fines.Signs are impounded to a secure sign compound for 30 days after which the signs are destroyed if they are not claimed.
So If I put out movable "I Buy Houses" signs around the city with my PATlive number on it, will the city track that and fine me or just impound my signs?

What have been other people`s experience with this form of advertising?

JanBowler

Registered

There is NO question
, the "BANDIT" signs will definitely provide you with the "BIGGEST" bang for your marketing dollar, so if you can utilize them without drawing direct attention to you or your company, they will serve you very well!

Tony, what is a bandit sign? Are those the pointer signs directing people to a house, with just the numbers on them?

tonypeters

Registered
The name "BANDIT" is just another name for the corrugated plastic (corroplast) signs. They are referred to as "BANDIT" signs, because they can attract a lot of "negative" attention (in the form of fines) from local by-law officers.
The biggest reason for this; a lot of people that utilize them typically ignore the by-laws altogether, and in some cases, they go overboard by attaching them to street signs.

QUOTE (DavidB @ Nov 16 2009, 01:11 PM) There is NO question

Tony, what is a bandit sign? Are those the pointer signs directing people to a house, with just the numbers on them?

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Nov 16 2009, 02:56 PM) The name "BANDIT" is just another name for the corrugated plastic (corroplast) signs. They are referred to as "BANDIT" signs, because they can attract a lot of "negative" attention (in the form of fines) from local by-law officers.

The biggest reason for this; a lot of people that utilize them typically ignore the by-laws altogether, and in some cases, they go overboard by attaching them to street signs.

Does anyone know what the bylaws are for Calgary? I was informed that my signs would be removed by the city, but I am not sure what the fines are? Also, an expert in the sign posting business mentioned that it is only on major roads that the city will disapprove of the sign. Probably, not the case, but I thought I would ask??

Thanks, Vic

tonypeters

Registered
Vic, You can obtain a copy of the by-laws by visiting the "City of Calgary" website. You should be able to navigate to the "by-law" section from there.

QUOTE (VicChung @ Nov 16 2009, 05:41 PM) Does anyone know what the bylaws are for Calgary? I was informed that my signs would be removed by the city, but I am not sure what the fines are? Also, an expert in the sign posting business mentioned that it is only on major roads that the city will disapprove of the sign. Probably, not the case, but I thought I would ask??

Thanks, Vic

ScottS

Registered
Generally, what should I be looking at for cost per sign (aka - what is a competitive price)? Also, generally what size are you talking about, and what info is on the signs? My guess is something like "I buy houses CASH" and a phone number - preferably your own.

Thanks!
Scott

jseib

Registered
My solution to this has been to use a 1-800 service based in the USA and obviously the numbers are run of a computer rather then registered in my name... As well my website whois information is held by domains by proxy and the only reason they hand out contact information is if I am running an illegal adult website or a court orders them to.. My web hosting is provided by an old childhood friend of mine who wouldn`t just hand my info out without giving me a chance to switch hosts first... I also don`t use a registered business name on the site.

While I don`t believe this makes me impossible to fine... Unless I get caught in the act of putting the sign up I think it would be very difficult to track me down, and I only do that late in the wee hours of the morning...

Of course I also don`t spam the city in ads.. Road signs go up on highway access points on Friday night and come down Sunday evening and I have 8x10 vinyl stickers in the areas I am targeting at about 50 intersections

tonypeters

Registered
Scott, from your comments I assume you missed the Ron LeGrand event in October? QUOTE (ScottS @ Nov 24 2009, 09:15 PM) Generally, what should I be looking at for cost per sign (aka - what is a competitive price)? Also, generally what size are you talking about, and what info is on the signs? My guess is something like "I buy houses CASH" and a phone number - preferably your own.

Thanks!
Scott

marcp

Registered
QUOTE (jseib @ Nov 25 2009, 09:01 AM) My solution to this has been to use a 1-800 service based in the USA and obviously the numbers are run of a computer rather then registered in my name... As well my website whois information is held by domains by proxy and the only reason they hand out contact information is if I am running an illegal adult website or a court orders them to.. My web hosting is provided by an old childhood friend of mine who wouldn`t just hand my info out without giving me a chance to switch hosts first... I also don`t use a registered business name on the site.

While I don`t believe this makes me impossible to fine... Unless I get caught in the act of putting the sign up I think it would be very difficult to track me down, and I only do that late in the wee hours of the morning...

Of course I also don`t spam the city in ads.. Road signs go up on highway access points on Friday night and come down Sunday evening and I have 8x10 vinyl stickers in the areas I am targeting at about 50 intersections

Ha!ha! A true bandit! Working in the wee hours of the night.

Thus the name "bandit signs".

antaynguy

REIN Member
The Calgary Bylaw on sign is fairly straight forward.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gat...ylaws/Signs.htm

I had a police officer called me and warned that if I don`t remove the sign I put up, I would be fined a $100.00 per sign.

I followed the bylaw to the letter. I called back to the police officer that warned me and asked him to reference the law I have broken and I never heard from him again.

Antay

ScottS

Registered
Actually I was there, but forgot that Ron put some info in his binder till you asked your question...lol

Top Bottom