Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I saw this in a Lease - legit?

Nir

REIN Member
Hello All,

3 items I saw in a Lease used by previous owner (sent to me prior to closing) that I wanted to share and ask about:

"PETS
No pets shall be brought into the premise even temporarily without the express written permission of the landlord.
if a pet has been at the premise at any time during the tenant`s occupancy (with or without the landlord consent) a charge may be made for de-fleeing and/or deodorizing and/or shampooing and/or damaged occasioned by the pet. Any animals on the property not registered under this rental agreement will be presumed to be strays and will be disposed of according to law, at the option of the landlord.

PLUMBING
Tenant agrees not to put or pour any debris, grease, paper towels, Q-tips, tampons, newspaper, food or any other matter in the sink drain or toilets. Tenant agrees to pay the entire amount on bills for all sewer cleaning services resulting from clogged pipes or sewer back-up.

ELECTRICITY
Tenant must not overload electrical circuits. Only two electrical operated items may be plugged in any electrical receptacle."

Especially re: pets - can we landlords really cook (joking, dispose) a pet not.. registered! ?

Thank You

tbarcier

Registered
The wording is a bit confusing. Does it mean you have to register you pet with the landlord? I want to think they mean registered with the city ie: licence? "Disposed of according to the law" under what authority? I`m assuming they would call by-law otherwise they could be in trouble. Good luck enforcing that one in ON. Printing that stuff in the lease is a waste of ink when it`s not enforceable by law.

Nir

REIN Member
Hi again,

just 2 more sections copied one from the same Lease the other from another, that would be nice to get your thoughts on:

"The tenant covenants to turn off any energy consuming devices such as lights or fans before leaving the apartment and when these are not in use. In addition, the tenant covenants not to open any window during cold seasons when heaters are on.

The tenants covenant that they have one (1) dog and will not bring any additional pet, animal, bird, insect or reptile into the property."

Thoughts?

THANKS.

tbarcier

Registered
What did you want to know? Can you evict if they don`t do this, no you can`t. I would be nice if they did turn the lights off if you are paying for it though.

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Thomas. I wanted to know if you like the comments and would add them to your leases(?)

invst4profit

Registered
In Ontario you may include any thing you want in the lease agreement BUT only guidelines found within the RTA are enforced by the LTB.

If something is not specifically stated in the RTA tenants may ignore anything in the lease they may have agreed to without fear of retribution.

tbarcier

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 24 2009, 10:02 AM) In Ontario you may include any thing you want in the lease agreement BUT only guidelines found within the RTA are enforced by the LTB.

If something is not specifically stated in the RTA tenants may ignore anything in the lease they may have agreed to without fear of retribution.

Like I said waste of ink. So you can out it if you like in hopes that they will follow that agreement, however you cannot enforce it.

Top Bottom