Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ikea Cabinets

aiden1983

Registered
I tried this in the General Section but maybe I can get a response. Has anyone on here used Ikea Cabinets? Would they be good for a rental property? How about using them in your PR?

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (aiden1983 @ Mar 2 2010, 09:47 AM) I tried this in the General Section but maybe I can get a response. Has anyone on here used Ikea Cabinets? Would they be good for a rental property? How about using them in your PR?

They`re fine, if you don`t mind particleboard and install them properly.

As for PR.....depends whether you`re doing it for functionality, or resale.

CaesarPua

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Mar 2 2010, 10:02 AM) They`re fine, if you don`t mind particleboard and install them properly.

As for PR.....depends whether you`re doing it for functionality, or resale.

I`m in the process of doing the same...On a related note, how much would it approximately cost to have a 10` x 10` kitchen installed by professional installers? On the IKEA website, $2580 is the cabinet price "based on a typical 10`x10` kitchen."

Thanks for any input out there!

Caesar

CaesarPua

Registered
Hi aiden1983,

Terri Frank of www.queenwestrentals.com uses Ikea cabinets for her rentals and they look awesome.

Send her a message and she can give you her thoughts.

My boss used Ikea cabinets for his personal residence and they look very modern and sleek...

I think as long as you go at least mid-line (i.e. not the cheapest quality), and get them installed properly, they`ll look great!

kir

Registered
I did one kithen on one of my units,

Go with the cheaper doors, then when you sell upgrade to real wooden doors.

It just snaps in place. The doors will be the biggest cost to doing cabinets.

advantages to using Ikea:
-parts and supplies are always there (nuts, bolts, doors that fit and interchangeable)

I think the drawers are superior to home depot`s. They seem to snap in nicely and get a real good fit.

Kir.

aiden1983

Registered
QUOTE (CaesarPua @ Mar 2 2010, 08:52 AM) I`m in the process of doing the same...On a related note, how much would it approximately cost to have a 10` x 10` kitchen installed by professional installers? On the IKEA website, $2580 is the cabinet price "based on a typical 10`x10` kitchen."

Caesar

A 10`x10` would be closer to $4000 for mid grade cabinets with drawers, shelves, and all the little extras.

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (CaesarPua @ Mar 2 2010, 10:52 AM) On the IKEA website, $2580 is the cabinet price "based on a typical 10`x10` kitchen."

Caesar
There is no "typical".
Use their website to design exactly what you will need.
I believe their cabinets are all standard (particleboard) and the doors are variably priced.
Depending on the complexity of the job, count on adding ~50% of the cost of the cabinets as labour to assemble and install.

tim944s

Registered
Having installed many IKEA kitchens up to this point I feel there are many advantages.

1) As cost is a primary concern for rental properties, they can be very inexpensive to purchase and assemble.
2) The overall look can be made to look higher end with simple tricks such as crown molding along the upper cabinets, bull nose and undercabinet lighting.
3) To further the appearance, inexpensive mosaic tile back splashes can go a long way.
4) Let`s not forget that it is still a box with a door. Particle board for the carcass is perfectly fine. I have seen many kitchens in high end homes use a particle board base carcass. The trick is using wood veneered pieces on the ends to give the appearance of a solid wood.
5) Hardware can go a long way to giving a higher end appearance.
6) There is usually a sale on once a year where you can get a %10 discount on the total kitchen. They give you credit in the form of gift cards which can be used for anything in store. ie appliances, decor

I would beg to argue that the average person could not determine the difference between a well installed IKEA kitchen and one from one of your local installers. The 43mm system that IKEA has been using for over 20 years has remained largely unchanged and has been copied by many cabinet makers today.

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

larysa002

Registered
Looks very high end.
I`ve also seen a simple white Ikea kitchen in a quality remodel. That was amazing, but that was a good designer job, with mosaic tiles, hardware, large skylight, and all the nice colors.
I did not like Ikea before, so that was quite an eye-opener, what a good desig can do.

Top Bottom