Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

InnKeepers Act

Coreena

Registered
Hi there, I was trying to find info on the innkeepers act and when I googled it I couldn`t find anything up to date.

Does anyone have a link where to find some info on this.

Thanks
Coreena

JordanCartwright

Registered
So, from what I`ve read on my first skim through, this is the law as it applies to me if I rent out rooms in my primary residence.. I am under the impression that the landlord-tenant act doesn`t apply in this case..

Am I correct in this line of thinking?

Jordan..

=========================
Jordan Cartwright

www.JordanCartwright.com
www.JoinJordan.com

Coreena

Registered
QUOTE (JordanCartwright @ Jun 19 2008, 12:36 PM) So, from what I`ve read on my first skim through, this is the law as it applies to me if I rent out rooms in my primary residence.. I am under the impression that the landlord-tenant act doesn`t apply in this case..

Jordan..

Hi Jordan As I understand it according to the BC tenancy act if you share a common kitchen and bathroom then the tenancy laws don`t apply

Coreena

Jordan Cartwright

www.JordanCartwright.com
www.JoinJordan.com

jackie

Registered
QUOTE (JordanCartwright @ Jun 19 2008, 03:36 PM) So, from what I`ve read on my first skim through, this is the law as it applies to me if I rent out rooms in my primary residence.. I am under the impression that the landlord-tenant act doesn`t apply in this case..

Jordan.

I`m an innkeeper in Ontario. The regs are probably different here so I don`t know if you`re correct about how they would apply to you.

The Landlord Tenant Act does not apply to people staying at my inn because I`m providing transient accommodations. But if I were to have a guest stay for longer than a month in one stretch, the LTA would apply. It doesn`t matter that this is my primary residence. So you might want to see if length of lodging period has any impact on whether the act applies. Check the tax regs too. I have to charge taxes on transient accommodations, but not on residential tenants in my investment properties.

For the record, innkeeping is hard work but it`s a wonderful way to put a property to use. Guests are soooo much nicer to deal with than tenants.
style_emoticons

Jackie

Top Bottom