Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Interest Rate Anticipation

lilbuffet

Registered
So with all this interest rate increase talk we are currently hearing, my prediction is that the rates will rise in Q2 but at a modest level. I recently purchased my 1st property and I currently have a variable rate which is prime +.1 would it be better to lock in or stay at a variable rate for the long term? (2-5 years)

GarthChapman

Registered
It would be better to have a Variable Rate Mortgage (VRM) at a rate more like Prime less 0.3%, which is what is widely available. It sounds like you might have an open VRM instead of a closed VRM, and unless it is a short term hold I don`t recommend that product to my clients. The closed VRM pre-payment penalty is only 3 months interest.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
I was looking at that a few days ago... I decided to take a VRM for 5 years (closed) with a fixed payment on the investment mortgage. While I am getting a nice cash flow on the property I realized that once the interest is goes up; the payment will go mostly to interest instead of capital. I will be deposit the positive cash flow into my secured LC (I do not have a mortgage, I have a LC) so basically transferring the bad debt into the good debt... I am still paying debt but I decided to pay the bad one first...

any flaws on this scenario?

QUOTE (lilbuffet @ Mar 8 2010, 10:20 PM) So with all this interest rate increase talk we are currently hearing, my prediction is that the rates will rise in Q2 but at a modest level. I recently purchased my 1st property and I currently have a variable rate which is prime +.1 would it be better to lock in or stay at a variable rate for the long term? (2-5 years)

Top Bottom