Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Interest rates

alexh

Registered
I don`t know who could answer this question?

Interest rates have gone up from prime rate 4.15 to 4.25.

Im currently looking to invest and wondering if it would be a better idea to lock in at 5.6/5.7 for 5 years,
or go with a variable at 4.25

what are the trends at the moment, and what affects those trends?

ChrisDavies

Registered
Very few lenders are discounting prime right now, which is 4.75%. The same rule applies as before though. If mortgage rates keep you up at night, lock in; if not, stay variable with a lock-in option.

invst4profit

Registered
Averaged out over the long term variable rates work out to be less.

Two answers at 180*. It`s really up to the individual comfort level.

Nir

REIN Member
Greg is right, variable is better if you do not mind increasing the risk for a higher expected profit. I strongly prefer variable. cheers.

smack123

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Sep 30 2008, 09:16 AM) Greg is right, variable is better if you do not mind increasing the risk for a higher expected profit. I strongly prefer variable. cheers.

I am hearing that interest rates may climb due in part to recent instability (understatement of the year) in the US.

I have a variable, and agree that if you look at it historically, variable is the way to go. However, you must look at the specifics of each cursumstance... 3 years ago, on a different mortgage, I was able to lock in for 5 years at 4.4% That was a no-brainer as far as I`m concerned.

Locking in now at 5.6-5.7.... hmm, that`s a tough one. I had the option to lock in at 5.35 most recently and still went with the variable. Again, it`s all about whether or not you can sleep at night.

piggy

Registered
QUOTE (smack123 @ Sep 30 2008, 11:15 AM) I am hearing that interest rates may climb due in part to recent instability (understatement of the year) in the US.

I have a variable, and agree that if you look at it historically, variable is the way to go. However, you must look at the specifics of each cursumstance... 3 years ago, on a different mortgage, I was able to lock in for 5 years at 4.4% That was a no-brainer as far as I`m concerned.

Locking in now at 5.6-5.7.... hmm, that`s a tough one. I had the option to lock in at 5.35 most recently and still went with the variable. Again, it`s all about whether or not you can sleep at night.

Yes, rgt now variable is low and historically, the best route to go vs a fixed mortgage. What I find interesting is that in the next 5 yrs the general opinion amongst economists is that inflation, along with high interests rates is the next big thing. So do you lock in on a 10 year mortgage for 5.5 %-which will look really , really cheap when rates go up??? With the price of commodities and the devalued US dollar going forward, rates will probably go way up.
The general idea if you research it is that a 10 year you will lose out vs a variable. But when rates go way up which is NOT normal historically-then a long term fixed loan will save your bacon.

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,
It`s a little difficult to explain why and beyond the scope of this forum to prove but by definition it does not matter when you take a variable rate (today or tomorrow or in 3 years), a variable rate is always expected to improve your cash flow compared to a fixed rate. please note: this does not mean it always does, just that it is always expected to, statistically and historically.
Think about it this way:
If, for example, high inflation is expected as mentioned above, then the banks know it too and they will adjust/increase TODAY`s fixed interest rate. By definition, it is increased to a level where a variable is still expected to be better, with the knowledge that exists today. The logic behind it is related to a basic rule in economy saying the higher the risk the higher the expected profit, otherwise no one would take the "risk" (=variable). why do you think an average real estate investment is generating more (much more) than putting the money in the bank for example? exactly for the same reason - higher risk higher expected (average) profit.
Regards,
Neil

Top Bottom