Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Investing in real estate in toronto

flyingsquirrel

Registered
I am considering to purchase an investment property.

However, I found out that all the property in toronto has a really low rent to asset ratio.

For example, for a single family home with price of $420,000 can only rent for 1800 a month.

It is around 5.14%. This is far off the target of 8%.

So my question is: Is it not a good idea to invest in toronto?

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
FlyingSquirrel,

Prices in Toronto are generally much higher than some of the surrounding suburbs. (ie: Hamilton)

That is not to say that you cannot find great deals in Toronto. You can. Many REIN members invest in Toronto and have found some great deals.

Using your example in you post. If you compare Toronto to Hamilton, in Hamilton you can still buy townhouses in the $150,000 range and get a rent of approximately $1250 to $1300.

Wherever you invest, you need to know the market well, so that you can detect the good deals from the bad ones.

Also, if you are able to buy in the hot neighborhoods of Toronto, or in the transitional areas, you may be able to find some solid deals.

I purchased a condo in the Junction about 2.5 years ago and have been happy with the continued revitalization of the area as well as price appreciation.

All the best,

Neil.

MrHamilton

Registered
[quote user=flyingsquirrel]

So my question is: Is it not a good idea to invest in toronto?

Hello flyingsquirrel,

Don't forget to factor in the two land transfer taxes you must pay in Toronto...

Couldn't agree more with my friend Neil. To add to Neil's example, in Hamilton, 420,000 could afford you decent 6-8 plex with rent to asset ratio closer to 10%.

Look at your goals, for many investors (especially REIN members) they want cash flow so their investment does not eat into their savings each month and so the bank will continue to lend them $$. + cash flow also allow an investor to hold onto their property through downtowns in the real estate cycle.

Also, if you have a look Don's 2011 Preview, Don picks Hamilton to overperform and Toronto to underperform. link: http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/2011-real-estate-preview-01-05-11-5-40-pm/jvk2ah9w

All the best!

Erwin

markl

Registered
Investing in Toronto can be extremely lucrative. You need to do a little more work to make it so.

Typically picking up a property that needs some work done. Fixing it and refinancing it so you have little of your own money in the deal and you are enjoying positive cash flow.

Otherwise you are looking for multi's you can add some value to with below market rents. That you can maek cosmetic improvements to.

flyingsquirrel

Registered
I am living in Toronto, but since my capital is small, I cannot afford to purchase an expensive home.

I am thinking about Barrie. I know the GO train is going to bring some upside potential there. Any thoughts?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=flyingsquirrel]I am thinking about Barrie. I know the GO train is going to ..

Barrie is in the Top 10 in ON towns of REIN .. so a good start. But you have to do FAR MORE HOMEWORK.

Let me highlight a few:

First of all you should assess your CASH situation .. then your CREDIT situation.

[list type=decimal]
[*]CASH is a
combination of `real` cash, committed friends and family`s cash and a
HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) or short: LOC. On a LOC you have to
pay interest only on the portion you use, which is good. It has to be in cash for 3+ month for a bank to recognize it as "cash" for a downpayment !

For CREDIT: Talk to a mortgage broker, to get pre-qualified for a mortgage !! To get a mortgage,
you need various documents including property documents and personal
documents showing the bank that you are credit-worthy. REIN calls this the `networth binder`. Spend A LOT OF TIME preparing this document, find a mortgage broker
to get you a mortgage, or at least tell you what kind of mortgage you
can get roughly, depending on the type of property listed above. Townhouses are treated differently than condos, for example !
[/list type=decimal]

Then, research a market VERY THOROUGHLY !Any area takes time (and a little bit of money for driving time,
flying there, donuts, lunches, research material ..) to research.

Then, decide on a TYPE of property: townhouses ? condos with lakeview ? single family homes older than 50 years ? new sub-divisions
? pre-sales ? acreages ? horsefarms ? trailer parks ? office buildings
in crappy parts of town ? high end luxury condos with high end
finishings ? land with sub-division potential ? strip malls ? defunct
shopping centres ? warehouses ? storage facilities ? fixer upper homes
? ANY of these property types allow you to make money once you know
what you are doing.

The best one to start as there is plenty of supply and plenty of
seller motivation is a small house or a townhouse. Not a condo as you
can`t control costs of the condo association. Not a big house either as
they are usually more expensive and hard to cash-flow.

Then spend a TON OF TIME BECOMING AN EXPERT on the property type in
an area. THEN AND ONLY THEN should you start writing offers and buying.
And yes, better several smaller properties than one huge one. Many
properties allow you to sell one if you have to.

You must know, for example, the price differential if the townhome is facing south as opposed to north ! If you do not know it: do more research. You must know, for example, the price differential if the townhome is 3 BR with a finished basement as opposed to a 2BR with an unfinished basement ! If you do not know it: do more research. You must know, for example, the price differential if the townhome has 2 bathrooms vs. 1 1/2 only ! If you do not know it: do more research. You must know, for example, the price differential if the townhome is east of ABC street or north of XYZ avenue, PER BLOCK ! If you do not know it: do more research.

For each piece of real estate you have to hang in financially and emotionally.

This means realistic assessment of cash situation (inc. closing
costs, vacancies, upgrades required in addition to `normal` expenses
like: mortgage payment, taxes, utilities, condo fees, insurance,
management fees ..). It also means realistic assessment of mental
`toughness` or time commitment. Vacancies will arise. Basements will
flood. Tenants occasionally have to be evicted. Maybe the police gets
involved. Boilers break .. sometimes at midnight. Get used to it .. or
anticipate it. Be prepared to handle those things yourself, or
preferably, hire a property manager that does it for you, but then be
prepared to pay this person or company well.

So, ask yourself: who will manage this property impeccably? Before
closing ensure you have someone in that market to manage the property
impeccably. That could be you, although a professional with in-depth
market insight, knowledge of legalities and local knowledge is likely
better. Spend some significant time finding that special someone, as
good property managers are VERY hard to come by.

Once the deal makes sense .. you got the money (cash +
mortgage) .. and the manager .. ask yourself if you will be able to
hang in emotionally and financially .. if so: CLOSE.

flyingsquirrel

Registered
Thank you so much Thomas for your comprehensive information.

I am planning to get a small detached home in Barrie. I will do more research towards your research instructions. Do you know of any good property managers in that area?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=flyingsquirrel]Do you know of any good property managers in that area?

nope. ask some local owners ! Part of your DD !

Top Bottom