Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is there an Investor`s club in Calgary?

desipaskaleva

Registered
Hi, I`m interested in Real Estate Investing. I`m reading "Real Estate Investing in Canada" right now. I was wondering of there is a club or something like that in Calgary, where I can meet with likeminded people. I need to find the right people who will help me with the first steps. I`m still hesitant to become a member of REIN because I can`t cancel my membership if I see it doesn`t work for me. I`m afraid to do such commitment.
Please help me

Desi
[email protected]

RebeccaBryan

Registered
QUOTE (desipaskaleva @ Oct 17 2010, 05:32 PM) Hi, I`m interested in Real Estate Investing. I`m reading "Real Estate Investing in Canada" right now. I was wondering of there is a club or something like that in Calgary, where I can meet with likeminded people. I need to find the right people who will help me with the first steps. I`m still hesitant to become a member of REIN because I can`t cancel my membership if I see it doesn`t work for me. I`m afraid to do such commitment.
Please help me

Desi
[email protected]

Phone the REIN office and see if you can get a free pass to one of the meetings. Then you will see it`s well worth it! You can decide from there if you want to join. I`ve been a REIN member for 5 years. REIN is where you are going to find the like-minded people you are seeking.

REINteam

Registered
Hi Desi,

It`s great that you`ve had the chance to read "Real Estate Investing in Canada" and your interest in real estate investing can definitely be strengthened here on our forum.

If you are interested in attending one of our monthly workshops in Calgary but you`re still not totally sure if REIN™ membership is for sure, you can come out and do your due diligence on a one-time guest pass at a cost of $199. If membership is something that you see as a potential in the future, coming to a workshop is something I would highly recommend. The next workshop in Calgary is going to be on Tuesday, November 9th at the Red & White club starting at 6:30. If you`d like to register, please call our offices toll free at 1-888-824-7346 and we`d be glad to nswer anymore questions you might have.

Have a great day!

QUOTE (desipaskaleva @ Oct 17 2010, 04:32 PM) Hi, I`m interested in Real Estate Investing. I`m reading "Real Estate Investing in Canada" right now. I was wondering of there is a club or something like that in Calgary, where I can meet with likeminded people. I need to find the right people who will help me with the first steps. I`m still hesitant to become a member of REIN because I can`t cancel my membership if I see it doesn`t work for me. I`m afraid to do such commitment.
Please help me

Desi
[email protected]

MichelSelim

REIN Member
QUOTE (desipaskaleva @ Oct 17 2010, 05:32 PM) Hi, I`m interested in Real Estate Investing. I`m reading "Real Estate Investing in Canada" right now. I was wondering of there is a club or something like that in Calgary, where I can meet with likeminded people. I need to find the right people who will help me with the first steps. I`m still hesitant to become a member of REIN because I can`t cancel my membership if I see it doesn`t work for me. I`m afraid to do such commitment.
Please help me

Desi
[email protected]

I can help you by sharing my experince. I knew about REIN since I came to Calgary in 2000. My automatic reaction was "I could not afford it". In 2006 i grew out of my poverty mentality and joined REIN. I realized how much opportunity i have missed by following my programming without questioning. Nowadays my re-programming says: "I could not afford Not to Join REIN".

If education is expensive, try ignorance.

My hope is that you come to the conclusion that is right for you.

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (desipaskaleva @ Oct 17 2010, 07:32 PM) Hi, I`m interested in Real Estate Investing. I`m reading "Real Estate Investing in Canada" right now. I was wondering of there is a club or something like that in Calgary, where I can meet with likeminded people. I need to find the right people who will help me with the first steps. I`m still hesitant to become a member of REIN because I can`t cancel my membership if I see it doesn`t work for me. I`m afraid to do such commitment.
Please help me

Desi
[email protected]

Desi, the commitment required is for your own benefit. It`s a learning process and it is a long one. No quick shortcuts.
Do join if you feel the urge to make a change and you will be challenged and supported. There are other options to explore what REIN is all about as previously mentioned. Also ACRE weekends etc.
Feel free to contact me if you need to hear my independently biased opinion

desipaskaleva

Registered
Please help me

Desi
[email protected]

Thank you all for the encouragement and the advice.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Oct 18 2010, 10:30 AM) Desi, the commitment required is for your own benefit. It`s a learning process and it is a long one.

That`s a bit much isn`t it? If someone has decided that Real Estate and/or REIN is no longer a good path for them moving forward after ten months of membership, how is paying REIN for the next 7 months (199*7=$1393) going to benefit them? Rein is a great organization, but the 17 month thing is for their benefit.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 18 2010, 11:09 PM) Rein is a great organization, but the 17 month thing is for their benefit.

And I guess it`s impossible for 2 parties to benefit from the same situation, huh?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Oct 18 2010, 11:06 PM) And I guess it`s impossible for 2 parties to benefit from the same situation, huh?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

Of course win-win is possible, but realistically all transactions in life have both costs and benefits. In my opinion (which many on here will disagree with, I`m sure) the 17 month lock-in goes on the "cost" side of the ledger for deciding if REIN membership is worth it. Maybe for those who have a chronic lack of follow through.

I mainain that if ten months of intensive mentoring, learning, and motivation is not enough to convince someone that they WANT to take action, then 7 extra mandatory months probably don`t have a lot of benefit to that person. Either REIN membership has proved its worth (which it obviously does to some, as there are many long-time members) or the person has decided (or just fallen into by inertia) that Real Estate/REIN isn`t for them.

I`m not saying either choice is for everyone (I buy propery, and think RE is a great investment, but RE is not for everyone), but at 10 months, I suspect the people who will keep the membership know they will, and those who won`t know they won`t, and the 7 extra mandatory months are something they pay for and don`t use.

My opinion only, and I`m not trying to pick an argument. REIN is obviously the group that best fits the OP`s criteria.

Michael

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 19 2010, 02:16 AM) Of course win-win is possible, but realistically all transactions in life have both costs and benefits. In my opinion (which many on here will disagree with, I`m sure) the 17 month lock-in goes on the "cost" side of the ledger for deciding if REIN membership is worth it. Maybe for those who have a chronic lack of follow through.

I mainain that if ten months of intensive mentoring, learning, and motivation is not enough to convince someone that they WANT to take action, then 7 extra mandatory months probably don`t have a lot of benefit to that person. Either REIN membership has proved its worth (which it obviously does to some, as there are many long-time members) or the person has decided (or just fallen into by inertia) that Real Estate/REIN isn`t for them.

I`m not saying either choice is for everyone (I buy propery, and think RE is a great investment, but RE is not for everyone), but at 10 months, I suspect the people who will keep the membership know they will, and those who won`t know they won`t, and the 7 extra mandatory months are something they pay for and don`t use.

My opinion only, and I`m not trying to pick an argument. REIN is obviously the group that best fits the OP`s criteria.

Michael

You have some good points, but the problem of course is that as people are different, it`s going to be pretty hard to standardize how long most people will need to be in it to benefit from it. When you say "Why 17", others will say, "Why 10? Why not 12....or 4....or 22?" If the number`s going to be different for lots of people, how can any number be picked?

That being said, I do know of other non-REI but also often life-changing programs that are also 17 months long. And I remember thinking to myself, when I first heard the number, "Why 17? Why not 18, and make it an easy year and a half?"

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

RebeccaBryan

Registered
I`m the biggest sceptic anyone will ever meet. When my Mom joined REIN is 2003, I thought she was nuts, because she was the type to join things and think she was going to make a million dollars by doing so. I used to wonder how she bought into so many things. I`m a huge sceptic of multi-level marketing companies, and I still think that`s warranted. However, after my Mom joined REIN, I watched her buy a little house, then a fourplex, then a sixplex, then a 17 suite multi family, then a 21 suite multi family building all in a two year period and after the age of 60. I actually still thought she was nuts because I didn`t understand how little risk her action taking was. I didn`t understand what she was trying to acheive because I was off in my own little world struggling to pay my bills and wrapped up in the rat race. I thought she was nuts because I didn`t understand that she knew what she was doing until after I joined.

She offered to buy me my REIN membership for the first year. I took her up on it because I wanted to understand. I joined after attending the Quickstart Program in October of 2005. I put an offer on my first property 2 months later and closed on it in February, then bought 5 more over the next year.

I couldn`t have done this without the knowledge I received in REIN and neither could my Mom. I hope REIN continues to make money, because the education they are offering changes lives. Don Campbell has taught us the concept that the more you give, the more you get. That`s why you find REIN Members on this site giving to their fellow REIN members as much information as they can. We have our own built in cheer leading team and genuinely wish nothing but the best for each other in every aspect of our lives.

There`s enough money and properties out there for everyone who wants to work to attain their goals. REIN should make money from the education they are giving us and the more they make, the more programs they will be able to offer. I`ve been a REIN member for 5 years now and I learn something every time I go to a REIN meeting or listen to a REIN CD.

No one wants to get sucked into something that isn`t going to benefit them. I think you first have to decide if you have what it takes to take action and buy real estate. That might be hard to know without the REIN education. I knew I was an action taker before I joined and I knew I just needed knowledge to boost me. I already understood the concept of equity building through real estate. What I didn`t know was how to go about investing, how to landlord, how to make an investment binder, where to invest, how to analyse a property to find ones that would cashflow, where to start, that there was actually a step by step process to succeed, that I could reach out to knowledeable people for real answers to anything I didn`t know, etc, etc, etc, etc. etc.

The only thing I knew is that I had nothing to lose by joining. Your time isn`t renewable, money is, so my advice is not to get so wrapped up in what it costs for a REIN membership, but instead think about how much time you waste in your life that you`ll never get back. The sooner you join, the sooner your life changes.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (RebeccaBryan @ Oct 19 2010, 04:48 AM) I couldn`t have done this without the knowledge I received in REIN and neither could my Mom. I hope REIN continues to make money, because the education they are offering changes lives. Don Campbell has taught us the concept that the more you give, the more you get. That`s why you find REIN Members on this site giving to their fellow REIN members as much information as they can. We have our own built in cheer leading team and genuinely wish nothing but the best for each other in every aspect of our lives.

There`s enough money and properties out there for everyone who wants to work to attain their goals. REIN should make money from the education they are giving us and the more they make, the more programs they will be able to offer. I`ve been a REIN member for 5 years now and I learn something every time I go to a REIN meeting or listen to a REIN CD.

REIN absolutely needs to continue make money, just like any business. They`re obviously providing a huge amount of value, for which they should be commended. I would never recommend anyone not apply for a REIN membership, but just that, as with any decision, they weigh the pros and cons, and how it will fit into their life.

You have a great story, it`s very inspirational to hear how two generations of people can be impacted like that!

Michael

R

RussellWestcott

QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 18 2010, 08:09 PM) That`s a bit much isn`t it? If someone has decided that Real Estate and/or REIN is no longer a good path for them moving forward after ten months of membership, how is paying REIN for the next 7 months (199*7=$1393) going to benefit them? Rein is a great organization, but the 17 month thing is for their benefit.

Michael, that is a great question, and good for you for asking. Having a degree of skepticism is a good trait for an investor to have.

I ask this question all the time of the services I pay for... am I getting value for the money I spend?

I`ll give you just a few examples how my association with REIN™ benefits me financially (with dollars and cents). I could go on and on about these, but I`ll only give you 4 things that happened this weekend alone

1) This month I am switching over all my insurance to Park Insurance (something that only REIN™ members have access too), my coverage will be increasing and I`ll be saving over $2,520 in my insurance expense over the next 12 months by switching to the REIN™ negotiated insurance provider.

2) This past weekend I learned a new way (from a REIN™ member) to handle my up/down suited properties utilities (I only have one). Something more simplified and can actually put another $300/ year in my pocket.

3) This past weekend I learned (from another REIN™ member) how to get my tenants to sign an agreement authorizing me to charge their credit card if the rent is late or does not clear at the first of the month... having another way to collect money from my tenants, saving me the hassles of chasing down my tenants for collection will save me both time and money.

4) This past weekend I learned (from yet another member) a better way to paint my properties and using chair rail in my kitchens, because typically upon move out if there is any damage on the walls in the kitchen, the damage in on the bottom part of the walls. I`ll only have to paint half the wall (up to the chair rail), getting the property ready quicker and my painting costs will decrease. For every day one of my properties are vacant costs me $36.66 (in lost revenue). If I save one week vacancy gives me another $256.66 per property revenue to me.

As mentioned this is only a couple things from this month alone that saves me more money than my fees would cost me...

EVERY month
I learn something from REIN™ and the REIN™ members that benefits me, and my family, financially, and those financial savings can be directly measured.

If you would like to discuss this further you can always call the office and I`d be glad to help.

bizaro86

Registered
Hi Russell,
I appreciate your being willing to discuss this. I suspect the vast majority of real estate information providers would have deleted my post and moved on. I`m sure REIN provides great value to its members, as I`ve consistently stated. The resources/networking are obviously there, providing real value to people who are investors.

My previous example about the lock in period is still relevant, however. To someone who isn`t doing real estate after X amount of time, the lock in period doesn`t benefit that person. I understand why REIN has it, and support their right to run their business in any way they see fit. I`m not trying to get anyone to change the system, and I`ve never told anyone to not join REIN.

Ultimately though (as the disclaimer on the membership sign-up form states) each person is responsible for results in their own life. For someone who has decide real estate/REIN isn`t for them, ultimately no amount of extra mentoring/networking/lectures is going to change their life. I know people like this who I`ve tried to help become financial sound (not just with RE) and ultimately they can only change if they make the choice.

In that situation, I can`t see the benefits someone who wants to quit and doesn`t come to meetings is getting from paying REIN for the next X months of membership.

Best regards,

Michael

QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Oct 20 2010, 10:50 AM) Michael, that is a great question, and good for you for asking. Having a degree of skepticism is a good trait for an investor to have.

I ask this question all the time of the services I pay for... am I getting value for the money I spend?

I`ll give you just a few examples how my association with REIN™ benefits me financially (with dollars and cents). I could go on and on about these, but I`ll only give you 4 things that happened this weekend alone

1) This month I am switching over all my insurance to Park Insurance (something that only REIN™ members have access too), my coverage will be increasing and I`ll be saving over $2,520 in my insurance expense over the next 12 months by switching to the REIN™ negotiated insurance provider.

2) This past weekend I learned a new way (from a REIN™ member) to handle my up/down suited properties utilities (I only have one). Something more simplified and can actually put another $300/ year in my pocket.

3) This past weekend I learned (from another REIN™ member) how to get my tenants to sign an agreement authorizing me to charge their credit card if the rent is late or does not clear at the first of the month... having another way to collect money from my tenants, saving me the hassles of chasing down my tenants for collection will save me both time and money.

4) This past weekend I learned (from yet another member) a better way to paint my properties and using chair rail in my kitchens, because typically upon move out if there is any damage on the walls in the kitchen, the damage in on the bottom part of the walls. I`ll only have to paint half the wall (up to the chair rail), getting the property ready quicker and my painting costs will decrease. For every day one of my properties are vacant costs me $36.66 (in lost revenue). If I save one week vacancy gives me another $256.66 per property revenue to me.

As mentioned this is only a couple things from this month alone that saves me more money than my fees would cost me...

EVERY month
I learn something from REIN™ and the REIN™ members that benefits me, and my family, financially, and those financial savings can be directly measured.

If you would like to discuss this further you can always call the office and I`d be glad to help.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Michael
You are correct. However one thing not yet noted by anyone on this is that the value for a non REIN member of being able to get the ACRE program for free is close to a $1,000. Even if the person decides after 6 months that they aren`t going to invest in real estate and therefore continuing REIN membership is not going to benefit them they`ve still received almost the total amount of services that they`ve paid for. When you factor in a new REIN member that might go to other REIN events that cost between $400-$1000 for free during the same time period (like ALIFE, Multi-family conference, etc..) and 6 months of meetings at apx. $200 each if REIN offered a shorter period they could have people gaming there policies and stealing services from them. Why pay $900 to go to a few day event when you can join REIN for less than quit soon after the event?

QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 20 2010, 01:12 PM) Hi Russell,

I appreciate your being willing to discuss this. I suspect the vast majority of real estate information providers would have deleted my post and moved on. I`m sure REIN provides great value to its members, as I`ve consistently stated. The resources/networking are obviously there, providing real value to people who are investors.

My previous example about the lock in period is still relevant, however. To someone who isn`t doing real estate after X amount of time, the lock in period doesn`t benefit that person. I understand why REIN has it, and support their right to run their business in any way they see fit. I`m not trying to get anyone to change the system, and I`ve never told anyone to not join REIN.

Ultimately though (as the disclaimer on the membership sign-up form states) each person is responsible for results in their own life. For someone who has decide real estate/REIN isn`t for them, ultimately no amount of extra mentoring/networking/lectures is going to change their life. I know people like this who I`ve tried to help become financial sound (not just with RE) and ultimately they can only change if they make the choice.

In that situation, I can`t see the benefits someone who wants to quit and doesn`t come to meetings is getting from paying REIN for the next X months of membership.

Best regards,

Michael

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Oct 21 2010, 10:18 AM) Hi Michael
You are correct. However one thing not yet noted by anyone on this is that the value for a non REIN member of being able to get the ACRE program for free is close to a $1,000. Even if the person decides after 6 months that they aren`t going to invest in real estate and therefore continuing REIN membership is not going to benefit them they`ve still received almost the total amount of services that they`ve paid for. When you factor in a new REIN member that might go to other REIN events that cost between $400-$1000 for free during the same time period (like ALIFE, Multi-family conference, etc..) and 6 months of meetings at apx. $200 each if REIN offered a shorter period they could have people gaming there policies and stealing services from them. Why pay $900 to go to a few day event when you can join REIN for less than quit soon after the event?

Indeed. That`s the reason why REIN has to do this. I never objected to the policy itself, as they have to protect their business as they see fit. I only objected to the characterization that its for "your own good."

Michael

Top Bottom