Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is this roofing quote too high?

surfermoe

Registered
Hi folks - my wife and I just bought a duplex in downtown Ottawa (our second investment property) and will be having the tar-and-gravel roof repaired.

We`ve received a couple of quotes for this work, the best one being $9,500. While I understand that the cost of reno work varies by city, I`m looking for feedback on whether or not this is a reasonable quote.

Here`s what the roofer proposes to do:

-Remove tar and gravel to bare wood and dispose
-apply first coat of membrane (base)
-install facial all around
- new mechanical drain
-install new pipe stack (rubber around pipe)
-install cap sheet (final coat ) color at your choice grayblack or brown
-new chimney flashing

The roof is approximately 1200 square feet, including a (small) adjacent shingled portion.

Even though this is the lowest quote we`ve received, $9,500 still sounds expensive for a flat, tar-and-gravel roof. Should we keep looking?

Thanks a lot,

Moe

fisher1

Registered
Get 4 or 5 quotes and you will know what the going rate is. The cheapest isn`t always the best!

surfermoe

Registered
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess we should call a few more contractors and see what they come in at.

Moe

gwasser

Registered
I redid the roof on my residence two years ago. The quote ranged from $7000 to $15,000

We took the most expensive one. Why?

The cheapest quote was a guy that told us that he worked as a roofer in eastern europe, then worked for 3 years in Toronto as roofer, next he spend 2 years in Edmonton and ran a roofing business during the last 4 years in Calgary. He promised a 10 year warranty on cheap shingles. The installer did not recommend covering the entire roof with a tar paper underlay as that was going to be more expensive.

The most expensive quote was a new type of synthetic shingle with a 50 yr life expectance and 10 year warrant from home depot. We were promised and I checked upon installation, ice shields, cladding and drip edges on many places and we were getting a tar paper underlay covering the entire roof.

Wonder why we choose the last one?

Top Bottom