Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jv closing technique

ZanderRobertson

Registered
In Arlen Dahlin`s fantastic presentation about closing JV partners (JV package CD`s), he says that when a potential partner asks him if he`s sure the value of homes is going up, he answers "absolutely". This is obviously a very powerful way to close someone as certainty communicates confidence.

He also says that if you don`t believe it, you shouldn`t be trying to get JV money. I also agree with this, as honesty trumps all else.

However, this brings up the point, how are we supposed to close potential JV`s if we are uncertain there will be significant appreciation. Now, I know that on the inflation curve we`ll see appreciation, but I think it would be a little bit disingenuous of anyone to say that without a doubt we`ll see significant appreciation now, things are just too uncertain.

This brings up something that Greg Habstritt and Russell Westcott both touched on last night. It`s time to get back to Real Estate the old way of creating value, and pushing the business upwards with fundamentally sound tried and true techniques (improving the property, buying below market for built in equity etc.) The point is that to sell our opportunities honestly and effectively, we have to, now more than ever, present RE opportunities as BUSINESS opportunities above all else, a business with a business plan.

With all that as prelude, the point of this post is to solicit ideas as to how to present business ideas to potential JV`s. Here are the ones I`ve been thinking about and working on:

1) pursue strategies to buy 10% below market value as a way of mitigating potential for further depreciation
2) as part of business plan (if buying in edmonton) utilize city money to convert unused basements into secondary suites thereby drastically raising rents and values with the instant $24,000 equity the city provides
3)sell your JV as a stable yield producing asset

I`m sure my fellow members and guests can come up with more creative ideas than those. What are you doing?

Thanks,
Zander

kanabel

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Feb 11 2009, 09:13 AM) 2) as part of business plan (if buying in edmonton) utilize city money to convert unused basements into secondary suites thereby drastically raising rents and values with the instant $24,000 equity the city provides

Great Zander, but could you please elaborate more line #2 of your plan, as I am not familiar with as what City of Edmonton provides in this case.
Thanks a lot!

Dejan

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Feb 11 2009, 09:13 AM) ... to close potential JV`s if we are uncertain there will be significant appreciation. Now, I know that on the inflation curve we`ll see appreciation, but I think it would be a little bit disingenuous of anyone to say that without a doubt we`ll see significant appreciation now, things are just too uncertain ...

the answer did not specify WHEN .. OBVIOUSLY most quality stocks and most real estate projects go up in value .. IN TIME .. the trick is to have enough income t get there and enough patience !

so if you are in it for 2 years only .. obviously real estate is not the way to go .. nor most stocks btw !

We always tell people: 5 -6 years MINIMUM .. and that is both the legal language and the marketing message .. and a good filter ! If they don`t understand it .. ask them again in a year or 2 .. but walk now .. part of selling is to know which people waste your time and which do not ..

ZanderRobertson

Registered
As soon as I posted I got in my car and was thinking to myself, "Thomas is going to call me out on that." Sure enough you did; thanks. You`re right, we do know, long term that we will see increases in values. So there is a strategy for closing, realistically explain the long term power of Real Estate. Thanks

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Feb 11 2009, 10:09 AM) the answer did not specify WHEN .. OBVIOUSLY most quality stocks and most real estate projects go up in value .. IN TIME .. the trick is to have enough income t get there and enough patience !

so if you are in it for 2 years only .. obviously real estate is not the way to go .. nor most stocks btw !

We always tell people: 5 -6 years MINIMUM .. and that is both the legal language and the marketing message .. and a good filter ! If they don`t understand it .. ask them again in a year or 2 .. but walk now .. part of selling is to know which people waste your time and which do not ..

ZanderRobertson

Registered
This is part of my due diligence right now, learning a lot more about this program. My understanding thus far is this: there was a very limited program whereby homeowners (with certain kinds of zoning on the homes) qualified for the City of Edmonton program for increasing the number of affordable housing units in the city. My understanding is that they`ve expanded the program to include lot more types of properties.

The catch: you have to keep your rent at 80% of market rent for the next five years. So obviously there is a cost/benefit analysis to do here, my thinking is if a property is bought cheaply enough with these low interest rates, and then you add a totally legal secondary suite, it could cash flow well, even with the second suite being only 80% of market rent. Needs some research, but what I like about it is you go to an investor with a stronger business plan than "we`ll buy and it`ll appreciate".

I`m sure there are other members who know a lot more than I about this. any info?

zander

QUOTE (kanabel @ Feb 11 2009, 09:33 AM) Great Zander, but could you please elaborate more line #2 of your plan, as I am not familiar with as what City of Edmonton provides in this case.
Thanks a lot!

Dejan

ZanderRobertson

Registered
There are a few threads on JV closing techniques vis-a-vis our current uncertain appreciation environment? There are a few threads regarding the city of Edmonton`s program for developing secondary suites? There are a few threads regarding the long term appreciation potential of Real Estate? Which one or all are you speaking of? Do you mind posting links? Thanks.

QUOTE (vandriani @ Feb 11 2009, 01:26 PM) Search the forums. I believe there are few threads on this already.

EdRenkema

Registered
I`m going with Arlen`s closing statement - absolutely.
Every property I`ve bought in the last year has increased in value, not drastically but up in value none the less.
The key is to understand inflation and with the central banks pumping liquidity into the market values will go up simply as a function of the decreasing buying power of the dollar.
I`ve got a handle on inflation and how purchasing today and locking in the cost at today`s price, holding minimum 5 years at positive cashflow and selling at tomorrow`s prices. And you can do this with prudent leverage, that is the real kicker.

My investor almost bailed on me but came back and is now committed, my first JV is coming together - but not without a few hiccups!

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Feb 11 2009, 08:43 PM) I`m going with Arlen`s closing statement - absolutely.
Every property I`ve bought in the last year has increased in value, not drastically but up in value none the less.
The key is to understand inflation and with the central banks pumping liquidity into the market values will go up simply as a function of the decreasing buying power of the dollar.
I`ve got a handle on inflation and how purchasing today and locking in the cost at today`s price, holding minimum 5 years at positive cashflow and selling at tomorrow`s prices. And you can do this with prudent leverage, that is the real kicker.

My investor almost bailed on me but came back and is now committed, my first JV is coming together - but not without a few hiccups!

I`m with Ed. A solid absolutely
, but with solid cash flow I`m not as worried about it.

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Right , so it seems I have to do more work convincing myself by focusing on inflation and that OVER time we`ll see increase.
Ed, I have a basic understanding of inflation as you speak of it, but obviously not good enough. Do you mind mentioning if there was a particular document or website that helped you really get a handle on it?

Zander

QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Feb 11 2009, 10:31 PM) I`m with Ed. A solid absolutely
, but with solid cash flow I`m not as worried about it.

Top Bottom