Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JV PARTNER (REAL ESTATE EXPERT) NOT COMMUNICATING WITH MONEY PARTNER

butterfly

Registered
Hi,
I am a new REIN member as of June 2014 and wanted to get started. I have a JV partnership with a Toronto REIN member for 4 mons now. I am the money partner along with my husband. We purchased a rental property in Oshawa closing Dec 31 2014. She found the property and renters. She has not given me a copy of the keys,leases or rent cheques. I wanted to set up an account for the rent to be deposited in and have the bills paid from this account in my name. She insisted that she needs to be on the account because she will be taking care of the rent. She had an account set up with a bank she deals with and has several accounts with other people with the same bank and said it is cheaper that way. I have asked several times for a copy of the above items and have asked her about the rent being transferred from her account to the account we all share. She does not answer my calls or call me back when I have asked her to. She replys to my text messages after 1-2 days, usually 2 days and only addresses 1 of my concerns. She refuses to let me know when I can pick up the keys and leases. She has transferred money from the account with notifying me what it is for by email or text. To date the rent for April is not in our account and she says its in her account but the bank is holding it for some reason. I at this point am very unsatisfied with my partnership, in that I feel I am not considered a partner at all. She has total control over everything and I am totally responsible for the debt payments and expenses of the house. Our JV agreement was not signed yet. I wanted this to work out but I feel I can't trust her do to her actions and lack of communication with me. How can I end this and what should I pay her for her contribution.
Please can someone reply to my personal email. ([email protected])
Thank you,
YWilliams

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
The money partner usually does NOT get rent $s, keys or leases. So that expectation on your end is unrealistic .

However it sounds numerous potential major issues such as lack of communication and signed JV agreement. A major flaw to be corrected ASAP !

Who owns the asset ? Who is on the mortgage ? What is the understanding of profit or cash flow sharing ?

Thembi

Registered
Based on the information you have provided, this relationship was built on a very weak foundation.It sounds like there was no system put together properly.You should have done a jv agreement before and line who does what etc...Well if I were you, I would be doing that like yesterday.
As Thomas said-why do you want keys, rent and leases? When you buy stock eith Microsoft do you get the keys and agreements they have with other partners? All you need is a quarterly or monthly statement on how the property is performing depending on the agreement you have.
You dont even have to see the property-the same way you dont go to Microsoft after buying their stocks.
I suggest you go back to the basics and start on a clean page...
All the best!

Neil1

Registered
Not a good JV due to you (perhaps correctly) not trusting her. Don't JV with anyone you do not completely trust.
Regards

REInvestors888

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Communication is essential in JV as well as properly executed JV Agreement as it serves as your guideline or, if you may, a living bible in your business venture. The above comments from REIN experts are right particularly about duplicate keys, copy of leases and $$ rents. As mentioned, communication here is very important which can also be accomplished through regular issuance of financial statements, and depending on your JV agreement, should include the distribution/payment of profit/loss from operation. As money partner, you are a silent partner in the JV putting up the capital and, depending on your agreement, holds the mortgage under your name, receives share of the profit, pay additional seed money to cover up your share of the losses from operation, and let your labor partner do the rest.

Hope this helps a bit...

Top Bottom