Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JV partners - how to find and screen

albainstar

Registered
What and how do I look for a JV?
I have some money to invest but no time, I live in fort Mcmurray and run a busy understaffed business, so i could only meet a JV once per month MAX

I havent joined rein bc i would find it hard to come to the meetings, and i know this would be the best way, but other than that how do i find them?
After I find on what do i do to screen them, how do I trust them with my money?

MicFromMirus

Registered
If you`re looking to do a JV, you simply have to put a post like you just did. My JVs come from networking.
When looking for a partner, you need to find out what the investor`s credentials and history are: what is his/her experience with investing and in JVs.
You must ensure that your goals/plans are the same because you have to understand that 80% of business partnerships don`t work out.
There are so many factors to take into account, like objectives of the partnership, duration of agreement, financial contribution, buying out other investor, and the list goes on.

There is an easy solution though. Have your real estate lawyer draft you a JV agreement, according to your & your JV partner`s needs. If your partner has one drafted already , get it checked by your lawyer (not the same lawyer as your JV partner - conflict of interest). This will protect your interest and money in the investment.

UTCVenturesLtd

Registered
What and how do I look for a JV?

222 Pick your interest on where you would like to invest your money. 1. Flipping Houses 2. Condos or apartments 3. Raw Land 4. New construction projects or ? JV opportunities can be located through an internet search or right here on this website by checking the signatures of those who post. My partner is looking for those interested in doing a quick Saskatoon house flip. I have been looking for those interested in investing in U.S. vacation destination locations for a year from now. Look for some history on past performance of completed deals and the outcome. Real estate over the long run goes up even though there are some temporary dips so the idea is to get onboard as many deals as you can whether you do your own or go the JV route which will allow you to be diversified to a much greater extent. I am maxed out with my projects that i fully own, have one JV in progress and will be doing more with others come next Oct.

I have some money to invest but no time, I live in fort Mcmurray and run a busy understaffed business, so i could only meet a JV once per month MAX

222 Those setting up JVs will take care of all the work and some deals let the investor get involved as well.

I havent joined rein bc i would find it hard to come to the meetings, and i know this would be the best way, but other than that how do i find them?

222 Working 7 days a week keeps me out of that loop for now. Seems to be a great way to go to hook up with others with a passion for real estate investing and have taken action.

222 Their tough job like any business is to get established and have the track record. Typically, it takes 5 years to establish a business and being a business owner, i am sure that you are quite aware of that. Everyone is having the understaffed problem it seems. My wife runs a downtown salon which seems to have staff cycle in and out every 6 months making it tough to get established although it is growing. Very frustrating to spend hours training them only to see them run off elsewhere and lose what they had been building. How do you trust banks with your money? They guarantee that you will get .0001% on your savings accounts with them. Risk = Reward I have heard the horror stories as well with deals that have gone bad which gives each of us a fear factor to overcome. I think the key is well structured legal paperwork that outlines your deal in detail. When i invest in small stock companies, i limit myself to around $2000 per company. With JVs, it seems to run around $10K and up for each investment. There are some that offer limited partnerships and they boast that they have never lost money for their investors. How easy is it for a company to attract investors if their past record shows that ALL ventures are successful to some degree? Again once a company shows that kind of past performance, expect your returns with them to be lower as well. When the risk goes down, so does the reward.
Dean
[email protected]

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi,

If you are serious about Joint Ventures, and doing it right (but aren`t prepared to become a part of the REIN Member community) the best asset you can have is the Joint Venture Secrets Package that the majority of REIN Members are using to attract tremendous amounts of cash.

Here`s the link: JV Secrets

If you are in BC, make sure you are at the February 15 - 17 Vancouver Quickstart Program that I will be teaching live (18 hours). We will be discussing Joint Ventures and how to attract them there as well. (if there are any seats left, you might want to check it out)

Trust this all helps!

P.S. We have hundreds of Members who don`t make many of the Workshops. In fact, the Workshops are just a bonus for Membership... not the reason for Membership. Members who don`t attend get the complete event on CD... it is the support and exclusive research that REIN Members tap into that make Membership worth it.

timmopussycat

Registered
QUOTE (albainstar @ Jan 16 2008, 04:56 PM) What and how do I look for a JV?

Hello albainstar
I`m in Vancouver and, after coming out of my first deal 6oK to the good, I am looking for a JV partner to invest money in houses or apartments in the Lower Mainland. I have a good lawyer and accountant and a fantastic mortgage broker on my team already. My realtor often finds properties before they hit MLS. If this sounds like something you would be interested in email [email protected] with "JV Partner" as the subject line.

Tim Cunningham

DanBarton

Registered
I tend to recommend that the first step is to find a select few people that you think and feel that you would enjoy working with. From there you can now take it to the next level of due diligence with a select few people you have now chosen.

A great way to find out how people operate and if there is a match is to just have a general conversation with them, ask them about their past deals, what challenges have they come up against and how they overcame them - which will demonstrate an example of their level of integrity. Ask to review past investment opportunities and how they have performed so far to date.

One of the best and most effective ways to complete deep due diligence is ask for a few investors that they have worked with and that are currently on their client list in addition to a few of their current team members on their real estate team. I once had a potential JV partner ask me for a reference in regards to a client where everything may not have gone just as planned, if your looking to find the cracks you may find them here.

Hope that helps
Dan Barton

DrRage

Registered
hello, i also am in fort mac and a friend and i would like to create a team here to do jvs.....please let me know if you are interested

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (albainstar @ Jan 16 2008, 05:56 PM) What and how do I look for a JV?

You should NOT do a JV .. as you have no time ! It takes money and time to do real estate. It appears you have little of either !

Either: get money and do it yourself .. or get into a different business / job to free up time !

You do not do JV partners a favour doing sloppy research in a far-away market with little to no time.

Get a few deals under your own belt, with your own money .. THEN (AND ONLY THEN) do you have the right to ask other people for their money !

Top Bottom