Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Knob Tube

fhabib

Registered
Hi all

How much does it cost to upgrade the wiring in a property that has knob & tube? I am looking at a duplex that has knob and tube and each unit is serviced by 60 amps.

Is it the law that the minimum service should be 100 amps? is that correct?

thx
Fadi

Nir

REIN Member
Hi Fadi,

How old is the property?

It depends on the insurance company but one option should be to upgrade the main panel only to 200 amp from 100 amp instead of each unit, and keep each unit at 60 amp. Just my guess, I`m not an electrician. In a triplex I purchased the insurance company approved such an upgrade instead of each unit to 100 amp. the Master Electrician who eventually did the work there was also the one who spoke with the insurance company directly confirming it will be sufficient. I upgraded the main panel in the basement from 100AMP to 200 AMP for a very good price of $2,300 (another quote I got was $4500). however, please note although it was a VERY old 100 years old property it was NOT knob & tube. So i guess it only answers part of your question.

Regarding knob and tube, I strongly recommend you get a quote from a master electrician. might be $10K or $20K!, might be less or NOT be feasible in that duplex depending on its structure(?)

Regards,
Neil

leighd

Registered
Hi

The insurance companies are driving the requirements to upgrade electrical in houses.

In Edmonton, pole and knob wiring requires a complete upgrade, and the city may allow you to be exempt from some upgrades. You may be required to bring the entire house up to 2008 codes and that is more than 20K plus drywall repairs.

Every city and region have different code requirements, so check each one.

Panel sizes are dependant on the size of the house, and the number of appliances. Many old homes had gas stoves and gas dryers, so the panel size of 60 Amps may be allowed in some cases. Your electrian must review and write the letter.

If you upgrade, the cost of installing a 100 amp vs a 200 amp panel is minimal. So I suggest the 200 amp where possible.

Good Luck on the old properties

Brent
24 years in property management

Top Bottom