Land Development

kastle

Registered
Anyone out there have any experience developing bare land? I am looking at developing a 10-15 acre site into single family residential lots in Northern Alberta and am wondering if anyone has info on rough servicing costs. Specifically I am looking for info on:
[list type=decimal][*]Water costs per lineal meter[*]Sewer costs per lineal meter[*]Storm water costs per lineal meter[*]Road construction costs per lineal meter (11 meter wide road) - or cubic meter of dirt movedCurb and gutter per lineal meterPaving costs per square meterSidewalks per square meterPower, phone, cable per service[/list type=decimal]Any rough rules of thumb would be useful as I am just doing initial work on property, if it works out then I will proceed with more detailed costing and get an engineer to work on it.

Luxmal

Registered
QUOTE (kastle @ Aug 29 2010, 05:27 PM) Anyone out there have any experience developing bare land? I am looking at developing a 10-15 acre site into single family residential lots in Northern Alberta and am wondering if anyone has info on rough servicing costs. Specifically I am looking for info on:
[list type=decimal][*]Water costs per lineal meter[*]Sewer costs per lineal meter[*]Storm water costs per lineal meter[*]Road construction costs per lineal meter (11 meter wide road) - or cubic meter of dirt movedCurb and gutter per lineal meterPaving costs per square meterSidewalks per square meterPower, phone, cable per service[/list type=decimal]Any rough rules of thumb would be useful as I am just doing initial work on property, if it works out then I will proceed with more detailed costing and get an engineer to work on it.

Just done some costing work for a 20 acres project located in south Alberta. Only for hard cost (not include levy), It would between $200,000--$250,000 per acre

RCrein

Registered
A couple of categories for you to add to your analysis. Municiple costs can be a big part of the overall budget. I`m in Ontario so some of this is going to be different. Here we need a development plan which adds tens of thousands. To prepare the plan you are expected to hire consultants, surveyers, engineers etc. Soil tests are required as well as test wells in rural settings. You may also be required to post a bond with the municipality to ensure you fulfill their requirements. Just to a little more to the tally they may add extra developemtn charges for greenspace allowance of storm water runoff development.

Your best value would be to sit down with a city planner and pump them for all the details. sometimes they try to put you off until you have started the planning process but its not really justified and you can learn a lot if you keep asking questions. the next choice os to spend a few dollars to have a local planning consultant spell it all out for you. Might be money well spent because finding costs out later could cause major hardship.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck eith your project.

QUOTE (kastle @ Aug 29 2010, 08:27 PM) Anyone out there have any experience developing bare land? I am looking at developing a 10-15 acre site into single family residential lots in Northern Alberta and am wondering if anyone has info on rough servicing costs. Specifically I am looking for info on:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
rates are not only per foot or meter .. as there is the cost of the FIRST meter / foot to consider too !!

i.e. the digger shows up .. that has a fixed cost .. whether he digs 2 meters or 200 meters ! ditto with hooking up the gas line to the main trunk .. there is a large initial fixed cost plus a much smaller per foot or per lot !!

water: high pressure line .. or lower pressure drip line (with tank per house) ?

Sewer hookup might be expensive ... depends on each town.

All towns/municipalities also charge a levy to pay for their increased sewer/snow removal/paving budget ! Check out that levy carefully ! Some towns it is $5000 and some over $50,000 per lot !

Thus:

How many lots ?

How large an average lot ?

Average distance between lot ?

Initial distance to main trunk line of main sewer/gas/water connection ?

DLUX

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Aug 29 2010, 08:59 PM) rates are not only per foot or meter .. as their is the cost of the FIRST meter / foot too !!

How many lots ?

How large an average lot ?

Average distance between lot ?

Initial distance to main trunk line of main sewer/gas/water connection ?

I have been down this road before, also in northern alberta, the best tool i had in this situation was to take your idea to the surveyor`s office, Bearsto in GP did a complete analasyss for me with projected construction costs.