Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Load bearing wall removal

brad

REIN Member
Hi all,

My wife and I have just taken possession of our new home (new to us, built in 1971). We would like a load bearing wall on the main floor removed. I am somewhat handy, but this is beyond my capabilites. Does any one out there have experience with this type of work? If so, please get back to me and we can talk and maybe do business.

Thank you for your time.

Brad Hamilton

I

IanSzabo

Hi Brad
If you are handy we can consult or take care of the whole job, Depending on how soon you need it done. Please send me your contact info [email protected] I will send you a Pre-Quote Package.
Sincerely Ian Szabo PLP Contracting

JasonEtheridge

Registered
QUOTE (brad @ Sep 7 2008, 04:14 PM) Hi all,

My wife and I have just taken possession of our new home (new to us, built in 1971). We would like a load bearing wall on the main floor removed. I am somewhat handy, but this is beyond my capabilites. Does any one out there have experience with this type of work? If so, please get back to me and we can talk and maybe do business.

Thank you for your time.

Brad Hamilton

Brad,
I ve done a lot of flips and removed many load bearing walls. You ll need an engineer to have look. Then you ll have to have him do up plans, submit for permits etc...
you ll have to put in an lvl beam..the longer the span the thicker it is...or you can use a steel beam...steel beam will be almost half as thick.
either way, get an engineer or architect to look at it. Dont mess with removing load bearing walls on your own.
Any contractor who tells you that you dont need permits...well, run.
Good luck.

egonneau

REIN Member
QUOTE (brad @ Sep 7 2008, 04:14 PM) Hi all,

Thank you for your time.

Brad Hamilton

If you remove a load bearing wall without a building permit, and unless you`ve magically come up with a correct design, most building departments will require an engineer or a architect`s plan, then you will have no insurance should anything happen to your house. Don`t remove loading bearing walls without professional help.

Eric

I

IanSzabo

Wow, it is great to see other like minded Contractors in Rein give solid advice. I agree that the proper procedures must be in place. Over all job scope Drawings, stamped & Permits. Also make sure you hire a full time GC or Project Manager,not some one that just got layed off from GM.Lots of Renovation Questions maybe we need to start a Reno Blog?
Sincerely Ian Szabo PLP Contracting

markl

Registered
Hi Brad,

If that is the only thing you want done you can have a drawing done and you probably will not need an engineers stamp as long as you get somebody who is up on local building code. We removed a couple of walls and added a 3rd floor and we did not need an engineers stamp on the drawings as we stayed within existing code. Something that small you can probably get fast tracked at least in toronto and have full plans with in a couple of days for the project.

Plans are good if you decide to sell ever people can go back and say yes it has been inspected by the city and it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling.

Regards.

craigw

Registered
Hi Brad, you might want to make sure it actually is a load bearing wall. Many peaple assume that a wall running down the center of a house is always load bearing. However, if your roof is framed with roof trusses there is a good chance that it might not be load bearing as most roof trusses transfer their load to the outside walls. Even if your house is older and has a hand cut roof the wall may only be supporting ceiling joists. If this is the case you will still need an engineer to spec the size of beam required. If you have a two storey house and the wall you want to remove is on the main floor then there is a very good chance it is load bearing. Definatly get an expert in and get all the permits required. And a word of warning about engineers. Many I have dealt with over spec things by 2 to 3 times to cover their butt. So if the cost seems excessive you might want to get a second opinion. Also some contracters mark up engineered beams huge amounts because most home owners are unaware of the cost. Most engineered beams cost around $8 to $20 a foot. Good luck.

Craig Williams
WrenCorp Developments

brad

REIN Member
It is amazing the difference in opinion out there!!! Here on myreinspace, most of you who take the time to give your opinion on a subject like this are well versed and know that permits and the legalities of such a project are extremely important. When I talk to the "general public", many tell me that it can be done on a weekend with a few buddies, don`t worry about permits and drawing because they just cost money that isn`t needed.

I am in the process of finding someone to do up drawings so there are no questions of beam size, lvl vs. steel vs. timber, footings, etc.

Thank you very much everyone, I really appreciate your advise.

Brad Hamilton

I

IanSzabo

Hi Brad
Here are the numbers of two pro`s that I use for drawings
Jasper Horn 905-426-9837
Mark Gibson 416-570-4168
Let me know how you make out Thanks Ian

ashleycamran

Registered
HI Brad,

I am just wondering how your load bearing wall removal project went, do you really need an engineer and permit to do that!!!!! I just bought a house and would like to tear supporting wall down to make my family room an open concept. One of my neighbour did the same project on his own, as he is a contractor, and told me that he would support the wall with two steel beams and at the top he would put steel frame to support the wall. He did the same thing at his home. Do you think I should go ahead with out a permit and design??? please advise.

thanks,
ashley

Bankfighter

Registered
I have done this type of work in the past. I have had a new structural beam designed to fill the gap supported by posts on either end. Before removing the wall I had rented a number of jack posts that I temporarily installed on either side of the wall being removed. I put a wood plate above and below the jack post temporary wall so that the jack posts would not go through the floor.

powertool

Registered
Hi there, I have done lots and lots of renovation, from flooring to plumbing, but the one thing I wouldn`t do without a building permit, is to remove a load bering wall. Look at it this way, a load bering wall is there for a reason, if you want to remove it, you must replace it with something that has the same support power. If it is not done properly to code, the whole house could collaps and if you and you spouse happen to be in it at the time, you will most likely get injured or die. Ask yourself this question,are you ready to put a price on your life and your loved one? Spend the money and get it done right, this way, if something happens, it will be covered...

ibuildstuff

Registered
You definately require an engineer`s detail & stamped drawings. Most likely will require some type of permit for renovation & municipality will want to inspect the work, make sure you have the stamped drawing available at the inspection. I have removed many load bearing walls, not child`s play...leave it to the pro`s. Make sure to use a reputable contractor for this work.

nubiwan

Registered
As has already been mentioned, the way to do it is to build a temporary supporting wall either side of the wall to be removed (using 2 x 4 framing). Remove the load wall. Then install the right combination of 2x8 or 2x10 pillars and beams across your new opening. When you apply for a permit, the engineers in the town hall should be able to tell you the load capacities required, how many strapped 2x10 beams are required, how they should be strapped together, correct footings to use etc. I`ve done it. It`s not rocket science and looks great when done right. Consider how strong your floor is when you put in pillars. Don`t want to be pushing your floor down. Make suer it is a load wall too.

MarkKruse

Registered
We removed ALL the inside walls on the main floor of our personal residence but only AFTER an engineer came by and confirmed that they were indeed NOT load bearing.

Also a note from hind-sight: removing the walls were easy. We expected to patch the flooring and ceiling. However, don`t forget about things like the furnace air return! We had some issues re-routing the duct work (it now comes up through our island). And, of course, any electrical and switches in those walls will have to be relocated.
It`s amazing home much stuff is jammed into those internal walls!

But in the end it was well worth it. Our main floor is AWESOME!
Good luck with your transformation.

Wesside

Registered
QUOTE (MarkKruse @ Oct 26 2009, 12:08 PM) We removed ALL the inside walls on the main floor of our personal residence but only AFTER an engineer came by and confirmed that they were indeed NOT load bearing.

Also a note from hind-sight: removing the walls were easy. We expected to patch the flooring and ceiling. However, don`t forget about things like the furnace air return! We had some issues re-routing the duct work (it now comes up through our island). And, of course, any electrical and switches in those walls will have to be relocated.
It`s amazing home much stuff is jammed into those internal walls!

But in the end it was well worth it. Our main floor is AWESOME!
Good luck with your transformation.

Wesside

Registered
hi,

can anyone recomend an engineer or an architech that they used to draw up the plans and stuff. I need to make a "window" opening in what i think is a load bearing wall between the kitchen and living room. I was not really able to find anyone over the internet who is qualified and will do such a small project. Thanks

Top Bottom