Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking for a seminar on how to network?

forumstyles

Registered
Clearly in most aspects of life dealing with people on some level is crutial to success. In my experience with real estate and business I can clearly see that becoming skilled at networking is a skill that can go a long way.

Don`t get me wrong, I can speak to people fairly well but still would like some additional guidance on some more effective networking and conversational techniques that will help me move past the fears of social and networking settings that I still hold on to.

I am living in Calgary and have searched the net but have come up with nothing.

Anyone know of any such programs????

ChrisDavies

Registered
Toastmasters is a great program. It`s more focused on public speaking, but there`s a lot of social networking with it. I`ve been planning to get involved in the new year.

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Nov 30 2009, 04:42 AM) Toastmasters is a great program. It`s more focused on public speaking, but there`s a lot of social networking with it. I`ve been planning to get involved in the new year.

One piece of advise on Toastmasters: Go to few clubs as a guest once and pick the club that you like best. It is a fairly big commitment.

vandriani

REIN Member
Just joined Toastmasters 2 months ago. I really enjoy it. Our club is very fun and easy going. I think it probably the best bang for your buck. One year for me was $165.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
I have been a toastmaster for years and really enjoy it. But yes go to several clubs before joining and see where you "fit" best. Also there is a group called BNI that is a networking club. They are quite a bit more costly than toastmasters but they really do teach networking. If you go BNI on google you will find a chapter near you.

kreezo

Registered
An excellent book that I would recommend on networking is a book called "Dig your well before you are thirsty" by Harvey MacKay. Absolutely incredible book on truly understanding the value of networking. Networking sometimes has a stigma to being manipulative and scheming. After reading this book you`ll learn that its the opposite of that. Networking is about creating long term value added relationships.

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (kreezo @ Dec 8 2009, 11:52 PM) An excellent book that I would recommend on networking is a book called "Dig your well before you are thirsty" by Harvey MacKay. Absolutely incredible book on truly understanding the value of networking. Networking sometimes has a stigma to being manipulative and scheming. After reading this book you`ll learn that its the opposite of that. Networking is about creating long term value added relationships.

Although I am not familiar with this particular book, I have read two others and listened to cassette tapes of Harvey MacKay. Excellent stuff! I will look into this more recent book myself. Thanks for the notice kreezo.

Cal

Registered
QUOTE (RCrein @ Dec 10 2009, 07:11 PM) Although I am not familiar with this particular book, I have read two others and listened to cassette tapes of Harvey MacKay. Excellent stuff! I will look into this more recent book myself. Thanks for the notice kreezo.

I read an excellent book by July Ono who is a very succesful real estate investor. Her book is called "How to Build Your Million Dollar Network" and is mostly focused on the power of a regular newsletter in order to keep in touch with your network.

Hope this helps.

Cal

lgrossi

Registered
Hello,

I have been a member of Toastmaster since Sep/09. It really helps you with your speaking, listening skills and self-confidence. It is a fantastic way to meet people. We do not have too much time to network because our meetings are very structured. I go to SOS Toastmasters in St. Albert/ AB.

Another way to network is being part of your Chamber of Commerce, or you can go to Networking sessions at Business Link (free). I run into some REIN members offering JV in there. I was surprised!!!

Top Bottom