Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking for Information on living in Grande Prairie

vargam3

REIN Member
Hello Everyone,

I have just returned to Canada after spending a few years in Australia. Just recently I was offered a job opportunity in Grande Prairie and i was hoping to find some information about the city from any members who live in the area. I am just wondering what your opinion is of the city and the area. Are their any networking clubs or events there? I have seen that there is a toastmasters group there I was just wondering if any real estate investors meet up at all, I didnt see any groups on the Meetup website.

Also I was just wondering what people think about the future of the city? I know it is known as a pretty speculative city. Since I will be moving there and staying for at least a year I was looking to purchase my own home there with a basement suite to rent out. Also I was wondering if there are some good property management companies there.

Thanks for any help and advice about the City and what you do for fun out there as well.

LAndersen

Registered
Hi,

my wife and I have lived here for over 10 years now and been investing for nearly 5 years in GP. It is a great, vibrant, young city with lots to offer. We have 2 boys, ages 10 and 6 and we love it. It has become home for us. It has changed lots, especially in the last 3-4 years as we came out of the recession. It is a bit more speculative and cyclical than other markets but I still feel that there is tons of potential.

I am am not currently in any toastmasters but I know other investors have been in the kakwa toastmasters group. I don't know of any other groups up here that meet but I know that their are other members who live and invest up here. It would be great to get a group going.

I think ink a suited home ups a great way to start. There are lots here but you do have to choose your area. I know of a builder or two so PM me and I can give you more details.

vargam3

REIN Member
Hey Leif,

Thanks for the reply. I sent an email to your contact email. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying GP and I am excited to move to GP and see the city.

I would definately be interested in getting a group together so lets see what we can put together.

Anyone else with some GP advice I would love to hear about it. I will be looking for a rental suite for the first 3 months there while I get settled with my job and look for a place to buy, so if anyone knows of anything let me know.

MonicaPaslawski

REIN Member
Hello and welcome to Grande Prairie!

It's a very busy place up here and there is lots of opportunity. My husband and I have lived west of town for about 17 years now, and as Leif says - things have sure changed. We have really enjoyed the vibrancy of the community and the opportunities for ourselves and our mostly grown children. We are new to the "investment" real estate scene, but have got a start in Grande Prairie in 2013, and plan to grow our portfolio here and in Edmonton.

We would be very interested in meeting you and others in the area who have similar interests! Perhaps we could start a group in Meetup?

Hope to meet with you - let me know when you get here! I may actually know of a place available to rent for March 1st.

Monica

sacleary

Registered
Hi Monica,

I saw your post and I am interested to hear your view, since you live there, on when condo prices are going to come back up. My condo depreciated significantly with the recession from $240K and now it is at $180K and has been there for a loooong time.

In your view, is there any hope in sight on housing price increases coming back?

Thanks,

Shawn

MonicaPaslawski

REIN Member
Hi Shawn,

I am no expert and your value does seem extreme; however, I have been told by more experienced investors that the last type of property to experience price increases are condos. I would be interested in others' comments on this. Prices of single family homes have certainly increased in the past couple of years, but I am also thinking that they may not be as high yet as they were in the peak. Again - I look forward to others' comments!

Monica

vargam3

REIN Member
Hello Monica,

Thank you for your response. I would cetainly be interested in starting up a Meetup group to get some like-minded people together.

I would also be interested in discussing the place that may be available for march 1st because I would actually be starting work at the bank on March 5th so i would be looking for a place for the beginning of march. Feel free to email me at [email protected] to discuss further.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom