MoneySense May 2008

mark186

Registered
I am a recent Quickstart attendee and new REIN member. Having an interest in personal finances, I have a subscription to Moneysense magazine and was intrigued when it showed up in the mailbox yesterday with the cover headline: "A Boom Of Your Own" and stories about "The New Way to Make Money In Real Estate" and "Where To Buy Now". I thought it should be interesting in respect to what I`ve learned recently. Well, it wasn`t.

The Editor`s Note was a smug piece down on Canadian real estate basically because it has risen dramatically since 2000 for no obvious (to him) reason. I wonder how hard he researched. As well, the editor refers to "news stories from the U.S., Great Britain, Spain or Australia about sliding real estate prices." After complaining about not knowing why prices have risen, he now doesn`t explain why he thinks they will decline other than the anecdotal fact they have declined elsewhere. He also refers to the fact that rental prices have not increased the same amount as home prices but that doesn`t seem like an apt comparison to me for a number of reasons. The first is the vast size of Canada could throw the numbers out of whack as well as different growth patterns in different regions. Second, what if the costs to rent property has decreased in the last while? We all know which way interest rates have been going. And in respect to interest rates, what about the size of the home-owner market – has there been a "migration" to home-ownership that would affect rental rates? There is no mention of these details, just a know-it-all attitude that seemed to be hoping for a sharp decline in prices to prove a point some time in the future.

The "New Way To Make Money" article is so simplistic it is hard to convey – you can`t count on double digit increases in value anymore so buy properties with positive cash flow and verify the numbers before you buy. Well, duh. What is "new" about this line of thinking? Worse, was the "Where To Buy Now" article. The story basically rated Canada`s top 35 cities according to Value (a comparison of rents to average home price), Momentum (sales in comparison to listings) and Economy (growth between 01 and 06). The top 20% (seven cities I guess – 20% of 35) get an A and B`s and C`s seem to be handed out subjectively. From there, the grades are amalgamated evenly for an overall score. I won`t even begin to go into how poorly this system stacks up against REIN`s 12 Economic Fundamentals but instead point out the results of the Moneysense list. Regina comes in at #1 followed by Saskatoon and Winnipeg. REIN Ontario Top Ten town #2, Barrie, comes in fourth in all of Canada tied with Sudbury! Top Alberta town Edmonton comes in at nine tied with Guelph but behind Fredricton and Moncton.

This issue came with a renewal notice, which, needless to say, I will not be filling out. Looking behind the curtain I see an editor trying to fill space. Thankfully I have REIN research and systems to guide me but I get chills thinking about people basing their investment decisions on these types of shoddy studies.

SamEfford

Registered
Good post Mark, that is definately an article written without studying the market or having a clear path for real estate investing.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi,

Good to see that Members are looking behind the curtain and not just buying into uninformed stories. Isn`t it sad that a national magazine, based on money & wealth, would use such poorly informed `experts` to speak about markets.

As mentioned at the REIN Workshop, the Chicken Littles come out of the roost everytime the market goes up and again when it goes down.

When in reality, that`s what markets do and that is why it is critical that investors study all 12 of the Economic Fundamentals of their target market.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Oy! And did you read the review of "51 Success Stories" at the back of the mag? I don`t think they actually read the book. Whoever wrote the review doesn`t understand the relationship between property values and wages.

It is odd that such a national magazine refuses to consult the established experts in real estate investing. They treat all kinds of RE as speculation. They are not at all helpful.

Thank you to Don and the REIN team for shining a light!

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
We must remember something very clearly about their track record on real estate. In the April 2005 issue, on page 40 this is their quote:

"If I were a REIN Member, I wouldn`t wait. I`d cash out now and head for the real Belize while the market is still hot and the sun`s still shining." MoneySense Magazine April 2005

Just imagine if an investor, having done all of their homework, targetted an area that was poised to take off (remember this was 3 years ago), they had used the Goldmine Scorecard... then read this quote not understanding that the reporter was just trying to be cute with words. The investor didn`t act and now their finacial dreams are NOT realities today.

THAT is the SAD part in all of this, a cute turn of phrase, not based on market realities probably cost quite a few Canadians the chance of a much more enjoyable retirement.

P.S. in the same issue this is their retirement recommendation: "Retirement made simple. Forget about saving a million. Just find a job you love." (page 23) Wow.

L

lanedry77

I couldn`t agree more - the magazine is just horrible.

My last issue, that also had renewal cards all over it, had an article about a lady who owned three investment properties. She was having trouble making ends meet after a divorce, and the panel of experts all agrees she should sell all of her real estate - including the house she lived in (!!!), rent, and buy mutual funds and dividend paying stocks.

It was a very easy decision to not renew.

I just couldn`t believe the `advice`. Of course, the magazine is full of advertisers that sell mutual funds and advising services, and no real estate sellers advertise there. So behind the curtain is pretty easy to see.

David.

dwb

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Apr 24 2008, 02:22 AM) Great post David. They are indeed but Shills for their advertisers.

I`ve always taken their MoneySense real estate stories and opinions with a big grain of salt.

That 2005 article on REIN was actually what informed me about REIN and got me so excited about REIN and so happy that there were others interested in real estate like I am. But I had to sift through the writer`s snide remarks about REIN and how skeptical he was of the REIN program which really was disappointing and annoying. Fast forward a few years and thanks to REIN, most especially Don`s books, and that particular MoneySense article and my net-worth has more than quadrupled (still not where I want it to be though!) because I acted on the REIN system as outlined by Don... Meanwhile, I bet that writer wishes he had taken some action on what he learned about REIN.

I`m still waiting for that follow-up article from MoneySense but I doubt they`re revisit and admit that they were quite wrong... because they now look ridiculous for their heavy doses of doubt they peppered throughout that 2005 article. Everyone and their brother knows what has happened to real estate in Canada since their article.

I`ve always suspected that in their MoneySense opinion real estate investing directly competes with thier darling mutual funds. Yep, those darling funds that still command hefty MER fees and return a pitiful 4-5% UNLEVERAGED (and heavily taxed) returns... sadly, they actually probably know the reality of the math is that real estate investing returns blows mutual fund returns completely out of the water without even a fight but try and talk real estate down for reasons bigger than them (ie advertising).

Looking even further behind the curtain, A big percentage of MoneySense revenue comes from the advertising from these darling big pocketed mutual fund companies, no? Certainly we can`t be encouraging alternative investing in anything (like real estate) away from these mutual funds, right?

donksky

Registered
Moneysense & similar mags are all pro-conventional, salesman heavy investments: i.e., mutual funds, ETFs, stocks, build ur RRSP - in fact in the financial industry - real estate is near the top of the investing pyramid of how much you should devote to your portfolio & riskiness. Real estate is near the top - meaning they think it`s exotic & risky and that u should devote a very small portion of ur portfolio to it. But like Dolf de Roos (real estate expert) writes, these people NEVER consider the power of leverage when comparing investment returns so it looks like real estate is risky & lower return than stocks - because they ignore the return multiplier effect of leverage, which if you incorporate- turns real estate into a giant performer even with minimal appreciation.

nepoez

Registered
In 2002 when I just moved to Vancouver my parents gave me a down payment for a condo. In 2003 I wanted to invest in real estate and tried searching for a group(too bad I didn`t know of REIN then). A couple groups that I managed to contact(other groups` contact #`s were no longer in service) said the members have all moved on to stocks instead because there`s no money in real estate anymore...ha

The interesting thing is that, 2002-03 seemed to be the time when the market skyrocketted. That was a time when Vancouver Lower main land actually still had many cashflowing properties.

I purchased a rental property that year. It was cashflowing, the interest was only 3.x%. I held it for a year and listened to all the chicken littles yell "SELL SELL!" so I sold thinking oh the interest rate is now 4.x%... I pocketted 30k with the sale after tax, but today that apartment would be worth 100k more..