Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

More Libel Against REIN?

invst4profit

Registered
Not liable in my opinion, just internet chatter, but then again since you and I have not even bothered to become REIN members what's it to us.

Be interesting to hear from REIN about the accusations. Particularly about trying to trademark her name. Although the accusation really doesn't amount to much if it isn't true.

All the rest is no different than any naysayer speaking out about any other investment guru. Who cares. Certainly not the guru as any smart business man knows "any advertising is good advertising".

tonyla

Registered
There wasn't very much substance to that post really. I'd be interested in hearing the other side before forming any opinions about the trademark issue.

Most of the REIN based accusations and implications are either based on incorrect information or half truths.

In the end it was her responsibility to take the necessary steps to protect her trademarks and businesses. So it's hard for me to understand exactly what she is upset about.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=tonyla]There wasn't very much substance to that post really. I'd be interested in hearing the other side before forming any opinions about the trademark issue.

Most of the REIN based accusations and implications are either based on incorrect information or half truths.

In the end it was her responsibility to take the necessary steps to protect her trademarks and businesses. So it's hard for me to understand exactly what she is upset about.

Registering a business name is enough to legally protect it from being trademarked by someone else, so she would have a very strong case if she registered the name before it was trademarked by someone else, especially because they are in the same business field. If the facts are as presented (most important is the order/dates) she'll win if she pursues the matter.

The headings on this post http://landlordrescue.ca/rein-real-estate-investment-network/ are mostly not incorrect, although some of them are the sort of thing that can't be conclusively proven either way. For instance, the heading "REIN and Bad Press" states that REIN doesn't like bad press. Well, I'm sure that's true. I bet they're also opposed to kicking puppies.

"REIN and Don Campbell" and "Books as a Business Card" state that Don Campbell might not be a hero. Which is kind of here-nor-there since "hero" isn't a word with a strongly agreed-upon definition. The part about books as business cards is at least partially true, since there are references to REIN and their websites sprinkled throughout.

The section "Membership in REIN" just calculates out the amount of money REIN makes from membership fees. This doesn't seem like a big deal to me, since REIN is a for-profit business, as far as I know. (I have never seen anything indicating it's a not-for-profit association) REIN is a for profit business, and it's revenues are in the millions per year. (Her calculation of $6,447,600 is mathematically correct, but may be a bit high if that member number includes associate members, who pay less) REIN makes money. Big deal. If you don't like that, don't join. This isn't incorrect information, but I don't personally see why it matters.

Basically, it seems like she has a (quite possibly legitimate) beef with someone who is associated with REIN, and says a bunch of stuff like "REIN makes money" and "They're not heroes." The post didn't have a complimentary tone, but I doubt it could be the basis for a successful action.

Personally, I think very highly of REIN, and I've gotten a great deal out of Don Campbell's books. I also think it's exceptional that they provide this part of the forum for non-members. Some might say that's also a marketing tactic for REIN members, and I'm sure some have signed up based on value they've gotten from the forum. The biggest thing I've seen is a willingness to be light-handed with moderation, and allowing posts that are critical to stand, which is very big of them. That shows a character I've not seen from any other real estate education group.

Regards,

Michael

PS. I checked her assertion that REIN claims to have 2700 members. That figure comes from here: http://reincanadamembership.com/membership-benefit/, so it's reasonable to rely on it.

WadeFenner

Inspired Forum Member
Having registered many company and domain names over the years I'm wondering if what she had was a domain name or a company name because there is a big difference.

Having a website does not imply it is a company name.

GaryW

Registered
I had a stick in the face a few years
ago on the ice. I knew the game , I knew the rules and I knew how to
protect myself. I didn't bash the whole league because of what happened
to me , on my team , on my line. I think we all understand how it feels to attend the "School Of Hard Knocks" and speaking out when you're in the middle of it. I think Rachelle will learn after she's away from this , the real message REIN speaks.

Gary

JimWhitelaw

Registered
[quote user=bizaro86]The biggest thing I've seen is a willingness to be light-handed with moderation, and allowing posts that are critical to stand, which is very big of them.I'm guessing that you have not yet experienced having your posts deleted or silently edited by an admin. Of the dozens of forums that I frequent, this one has by far the most heavy-handed moderation. The conventional "norm" in most online communities is for moderators to publish a notice of the specific rules infraction involved when editing or deleting content published by a member. That doesn't happen here. Content just gets changed or removed. I've experienced two such incidents in the past few weeks alone.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
WOW!!! I would say she's jealous, her business is failing and she likes to cry poor me and point fingers at someone else for her not being sucessful.

Don Campbell is a very smart businessman and Kudo's to him for making REIN work and making money. If he didn't make money, we wouldn't have all the perks we have to make our real estate investing businesses work.

One of the things I have learned in life is: When someone is convinced on a specific topic (eg. REIN is bad and all the people are in it are bad), there is no point in trying to convince that person otherwise. It's a waste of time and effort and completely futile. Your efforts are better spent doing what REIN teaches us. Take action, buy properties, focus on our belize..... etc.

Everyone who has had success in REIN, knows what it's all about and "gets it". Let this woman wollow in self pitty and let REIN members move forward with successes in life and celebrate along the way.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Jim

I'm a bit suprised to read what you have written.

I think the moderation here is often very well done... REIN is a for profit business that allows free access to their site and (some level) of criticism of itself while heavily moderating spam and slander - I don't post on any other forum but this seems like this would be rare?

I'm guessing I've been the most edited and deleted poster on the forum and yet still they have provided me a lot of leeway....with the deletions and editing (though I disagree with) being very understandable.... What were the topics of your deleted posts?

[quote user=JimWhitelaw][quote user=bizaro86]The biggest thing I've seen is a willingness to be light-handed with moderation, and allowing posts that are critical to stand, which is very big of them.I'm guessing that you have not yet experienced having your posts deleted or silently edited by an admin. Of the dozens of forums that I frequent, this one has by far the most heavy-handed moderation. The conventional "norm" in most online communities is for moderators to publish a notice of the specific rules infraction involved when editing or deleting content published by a member. That doesn't happen here. Content just gets changed or removed. I've experienced two such incidents in the past few weeks alone.

housingrental

Registered
Also is anyone else baffled from reading the bashing of REIN that the writer does not seem to be able to distinguish there is a big difference between an employee of a company operating independently of that company in a different business, customers of the company, and the company itself...

It does not make a lot of sense to me.....

JimWhitelaw

Registered
[quote user=housingrental]I'm guessing I've been the most edited and deleted poster on the forum and yet still they have provided me a lot of leeway....with the deletions and editing (though I disagree with) being very understandable.... And we're both still here aren't we? I understand that it's REIN's sandbox and their rules. Sure, I'd like to see the moderation be more open, but I'd also like cheaper gas for my truck too. Can't always get what you want. ;) It's an annoyance, not a deal-breaker.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=JimWhitelaw]]I'm guessing that you have not yet experienced having your posts deleted or silently edited by an admin. Of the dozens of forums that I frequent, this one has by far the most heavy-handed moderation. The conventional "norm" in most online communities is for moderators to publish a notice of the specific rules infraction involved when editing or deleting content published by a member. That doesn't happen here. Content just gets changed or removed. I've experienced two such incidents in the past few weeks alone.

Interesting. I've never noticed that, but I don't pay that much attention to my posts after I've made them, unless there's a response. I'll pay more attention to what I write in the future. I agree that it would be nice to have a specific set of forum rules to abide by. Did you get a note saying why they were deleted?

Regards,

Michael

housingrental

Registered
Hi Michael

Generally the modifications are from posts that are very critical of people...

EdRenkema

Registered
[quote user=housingrental]I'm guessing I've been the most edited and deleted poster on the forum
Who's guessing?

Tariqt

Registered
Don's books helped me a lot and I saw this libel and have to comment to help a REIN contributor.

Landlordrescue.com must fight this! She is using her website in a manner that is clearly a vicious attempt harm Jared Hope and harm his company. It's a form of extortion and any judge in the land will see what she is up to.

What is her claim? I checked and see she only has some one in a billion blog that started a year ago. I checked where her office is and it's her home in a dumpy part of Toronto.

Her "business" is what? A blog with a different name, a dumpy home office. How many clients does she have or does she just want to create controversy on her blog and get writing jobs and sell advertisements?

If Landlordrescue.com doesn't do anything now, she will continue her libel and extortion. She doesn't have a leg to stand on and should be sued for libel and extortion.

Tariqt

Registered
Sorry, I meant "a blog that is just only one of billions of blogs."

Is there any news about this libel and attempted extortion against Landlordrescue.com? I've been thinking more of this and really hope Landlordrescue.com fights against this person.

Not only did her one of a billion blogs only start a year ago (so she lies about having a blog for so long), and she only uses her house as her office in a dumpy part of town, did she even have a business more than a year ago? How many clients? Where's the proof instead of "oh my husband is sick and unemployed and I'm a mom"? She uses her website to just try to harm Landlordrescue.com and puts private discussions online.

Even if she continues, would you hire such a non-professional person to manage your investment!? I hope we can get some news on this because she is even giving a distorted story to the newspapers who love a 'victim' story even if it's from a fake victim. Landlordrescue.com should print this out because its another example of her trying to publicly tarnish their good reputation. She will lose everything if this goes to court!

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=Tariqt]She will lose everything if this goes to court!

Are you affiliated with landlord rescue in any way? Because this seems over the top for a disinterested person who only has two posts on this forum, both of which are comments on this specific issue.

I read her whole blog, and there are some issues that merit attention. It might not be presented in the best possible manner, but if she had registered the name and was using it for the same business she might have a reasonable chance of winning. It's not cut and dried without hearing both sides together, so unless you already know the other side of the story, I don't see how you could have come to those conclusions.

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom