Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mortgage Rates

JohnOlieux

Registered
Hi Gang,

What interest rates are other investors getting on their current mortgage quotes? I just received a quote of 3.79% on a 5 year closed mortgage amortized over 30 years.

Thanks for your input.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Low 3's .. Or prime minus 0.25 to 0.5 for variable is doable. Did you use a mortgage broker ? If not, why not ?

JohnOlieux

Registered
Thanks for your reply Thomas. I did use a mortgage broker and specified that I wanted a variable rate mortgage. Sounds like I need a new broker. This property will be my principal residence so I'm now getting rates from my bank. They figure around prime - .5 to .6 will be the rate so things are looking better.

I do realize, however, that I'll have to choose another lender for future investment properties - though a new mortgage broker.

RobMacdonald

Registered
If you're getting prime - .5 or .6%, consider yourself lucky. Most of the lenders are moving to prime - .2 or even closer to prime.

Most lenders I've spoken with feel the discounted VRM's are going to be a thing of the past. Now, Benjamin Tal came out with the same statements after the crash, but we saw the rates go back pretty much to the same level of discounts. This time, it seems different with more economic pressure and regulation dictating the reduced discounting.

Time will tell.

MonteDobson

Registered
We just renewed two RBC mortgages for a 2 year term at 2.49%, even though they initially offered 3.66%. Going to fix for 2 years and see what VRM rates/discounts will be at that time.

Scotia has a 2 yr special on at 2.49%, and I used this as leverage to get RBC to match.

Wish I could keep my prime - 0.8's forever!

Top Bottom