Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mould remediation

kir

Registered
Does anybody have any experience with mould removal?

I had an inspection done recently, there is some mould on bedroom ceilings (2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom).

However, the extent is unknown until they take samples. They did a thermal imaging and saw something.

The work done by the professionals would entail sectioning off each room, set up a air monitoring system,

cutting out the ceiling and letting it dry and they would pressurize the house .

Sounds a bit overkill, but I guess that is what is required. Apparently, water was seeping into the house from the gutter, according to a roofer.

Do you have any experience with such matters? Or if you do this kind of work, I wouldn't mind having another inspection and consider other options, if any.

Usually, I would just cut out the drywall and replace new ones, while wearing a respirator.

Thanks,

Kir.

Tony Miller

Ottawa's Investor Focused Realtor
Registered
I had a similar problem. It turned out that there was a lack of insulation where the mould had built up.

Mould Busters was very helpful. They cut out the infected drywall and did their mould remediation work. I then hired a contractor to install new insulation, fix and paint whatever Mould Busters had tore down.

I recommend that you hire a mould removal professional and to not remove the mould yourself. The stuff is nasty and can spread.

kir

Registered
Thanks,

I contacted Belfor Restoration, out of Edmonton.

The insurer recomends them.

K

invst4profit

Registered
Hiring a remediator without actually seeing the extent of the mold is overkill. It would take very little effort to open the ceilings to look without resulting in any risk.

I would carefully remove some drywall to visually inspect the extent, if any, before hiring any contractors. Mold is in fact not as dangerous as is commonly believed and providing it is not overly disturbed and one is not exposed for a extended period of time there is next to no risk. In addition there are actually very few molds that are actually dangerous.

kir

Registered
According to the restoration company, they required samples to be tested for absestos before cutting into the drywall.

The house was constructed in 1958. This is going to be an expensive lesson.

Cash flow for this year is largely gone.

Kir.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
We have used Advanced Remediation in Edmonton. They are experienced with both mould and asbestos.

I would get a second opinion to see if it is overkill or not.

The CMHC has several useful webpages addressing mould: Fighting Mold

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]Hiring a remediator without actually seeing the extent of the mold is overkill. It would take very little effort to open the ceilings to look without resulting in any risk.

I would carefully remove some drywall to visually inspect the extent, if any, before hiring any contractors. Mold is in fact not as dangerous as is commonly believed and providing it is not overly disturbed and one is not exposed for a extended period of time there is next to no risk. In addition there are actually very few molds that are actually dangerous.

While I agree that few moulds are dangerous, asbestos is. Removing ceiling drywal in a house built in 1958 is risky business. If the insulation is vermiculite, it will pour out like a waterfall as soon as you make a small opening. And the dust will fill the room in no time.

And there is no safe amount of asbestos exposure. Some people can be exposed for years with no ill effects, while some will react with very limited exposure. And the particular cancer caused by asbestos is NASTY.

You can buy a respirator designed for that type of particulate and open the attic hatch and see what type of insulation you have. Here's a website with a few photos and safety tips: Vermiculite insulation

invst4profit

Registered
Exactly Sherilynn, landlords need to do some investigation into there properties before simply throwing money at a problem. Get your hands dirty. Profit margins, especially for Ontario landlords, are often far too thin to simply hire out every little problem or take a contractors opinion at face value.

Investors on the other hand place a much higher value on their time and would be advised to simply follow the advise of their trusted property manager.

kir

Registered
There's no abestos, according to the samples takened. (drywall is non-containing).

I will get a second opinion and gather all options, but will have comply with the environmental officer who is aware of the situation now.

Kir.

kir

Registered
There is no vermiculite...only saw dust and the pink stuff.

I have been up there many times...and there is not signs of mold in the Attic, according to the remediation company.

Kir.

dplummer

Registered
CMHC, Canadian Construction Assoc.,IICRC,IAQA, EACO, all provide guidlines for safe remediation. EACO may just be in Ontario. Anyway, whether you perform the remediation yourself or hire a remedation contractor follow the guidelines & have a post clearance done by a professional. The reason is if you decide to sell your property & the issue of mould or asbestos comes up you can say yes there was a issue & it was properly remediated & you have the documentation to prove it. If you have tenants cover your bum & have the required documentation it'll save you a lot of head ache. As a remediation contractor & a landlord it's my advise.

Doug

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I agree, especially about asbestos.

When we discovered that the insulation in one of our properties could contain asbestos, we had it analyzed. There were only trace amounts, but even so we had an air quality analysis done after the reno's were complete (before letting it). CYA is a wonderful thing.

kir

Registered
I got a second opinion from Advanced Remediation....they suggest the mold was very minor...

Certainly remediation was Overkill.

So...I was very happy that day...

:)

Kir.

kir

Registered
[quote user=Sherilynn]I like Advanced Remediation. They seem quite honest.

I agree, I recommend them too for any restoration type of work. The inspection was free, but I suggested I should pay him for his effort to coming out to inspect. Oh well, I'm still happy.

Kir.

Top Bottom