Multiply applications to Tenant board- Possible or not

DK123

Registered
Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a house with problematic tenants, they do not pay their rent on time.

I also plan on making renovations to the unit downstairs, but would like to move into the unit upstarts(currently occupied) while working on the renovation project.

My question: Can I send tenants several notices: One for my application to the board for eviction for continues late payment of rent and another one asking them to vacate the premises due to my moving in?

Also is a door bell a required service/feature or i can charge tenants for installing it?

Many thanks,

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
My advice regarding the notices is to do one or the other but not both at once.

If you wish to evict for consistent lates go ahead. However the likelihood is that your tenants will not be evicted but rather be placed on a probationary period, probably one year, requiring them to pay on time. If they are late you can apply for a immediate eviction.

If you were to apply to evict for personal use, at the same time, the adjudicator will likely assume you are only hedging your bets to get rid of problem tenants. This will make winning your case for personal use very difficult.

If you honestly require it and intend to use it to live in and "expect" to be there for at least a year forget the eviction notice for consistent lates and go only with the personal use eviction. BUT don't make the mistake of using the reno of the other unit as the reason for wanting to live in the upper unit. This could back fire on you. The adjudicator could rule that is not a justifiable reason for you to need the unit or he could back you into a corner on how long the reno work will take.

You are moving in because it is where you wish to live.

If the subject of the downstairs unit comes into play at the hearing tell the adjudicator you are renovating to occupy the entire building as a personal residence.

If you do not convince the adjudicator to allow you occupancy for personal use then issue your tenants the consistent late notice.