Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My first townhouse

nepoez

Registered
Hi all it`s me newbie again,

I`ve recently purchased my first town house in Edmonton after 2 Quickstarts. I`ve hired Libertas Properties Management to manage it. It`s been advertising for over 2 weeks and so far it isn`t renting out. Here are the ads I`ve posted myself. Libertas has also posted the same ad on RentEdmonton and RentFaster, plus thier own website:

Here are mine: http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/apa/834858245.html
and http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartm...QQAdIdZ72571215

Any feedback?

Thanks again,

Nepoez

TodorYordanov

Registered
If I was looking for a place, adds without a price go down to the bottom of my list. I can`t picture myself in this unit unless I know how much it will cost me.

Todor

nepoez

Registered
Right, the price is the first thing on the page though.

QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Sep 10 2008, 05:15 AM) If I was looking for a place, adds without a price go down to the bottom of my list. I can`t picture myself in this unit unless I know how much it will cost me.

Todor

Zee1960

Registered
A few suggestions...
People are time constricted (or so we think) and want things quick and easy these days, and your ad,
at first sight, looks like a story...so...

When writing an ad - sit at your desk and pretend you are the renter...

what would you like to read?
what are you looking for?
what features sets you apart from the rest?
  • use bullet form
  • state some of the key features - "parking for 2
  • cars"
  • is it close to schools, parks, shopping?if the outside looks nice - post a pictureif it has a great view - post a picture of the view
Read some other ads, what draws you to certain ones over others?

Hi all it`s me newbie again,

I`ve recently purchased my first town house in Edmonton after 2 Quickstarts. I`ve hired Libertas Properties Management to manage it. It`s been advertising for over 2 weeks and so far it isn`t renting out. Here are the ads I`ve posted myself. Libertas has also posted the same ad on RentEdmonton and RentFaster, plus thier own website:

Here are mine: http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/apa/834858245.html
and http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartm...QQAdIdZ72571215

Any feedback?

Thanks again,

Nepoez

nepoez

Registered
Hi thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at ads that attract me and learn from them.However, according to the REIN document I kept from the QS, which I went over, said I should write lots. My original ads were short and brief like your suggestions actually because for some reason I feel short/to the point ads make sense, but after reviewing the REIN documents on "Proactive Landlording" I change it to this current long, descriptive, and full of adjective ad.

Not sure what I should do about that.

QUOTE (Zee1960 @ Sep 10 2008, 07:57 AM) A few suggestions...

People are time constricted (or so we think) and want things quick and easy these days, and your ad,
at first sight, looks like a story...so...

When writing an ad - sit at your desk and pretend you are the renter...

what would you like to read?
what are you looking for?
what features sets you apart from the rest?
  • use bullet form
  • state some of the key features - "parking for 2
  • cars"
  • is it close to schools, parks, shopping?if the outside looks nice - post a pictureif it has a great view - post a picture of the view
Read some other ads, what draws you to certain ones over others?

www.rentedmonton.com
www.places4rent.com
www.HomeRent.ca
www.gottarent.com

The mind reads from left to right and sort of stops digesting just before half the page.
So try not writing too long of a description.

Just my 2 cents...with my best wishes,

~ maria

Zee1960

Registered
hey - just my opinion and what has worked in the past for me

one of the keys in marketing is also statistics
keep statistics on what works and what doesn`t

right now i am trying to see if a 1 -800 number attracts more calls than my cell number - we`ll see...

~ maria

btw - adjectives are great!

QUOTE (nepoez @ Sep 10 2008, 11:31 AM) Hi thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at ads that attract me and learn from them.
However, according to the REIN document I kept from the QS, which I went over, said I should write lots. My original ads were short and brief like your suggestions actually because for some reason I feel short/to the point ads make sense, but after reviewing the REIN documents on "Proactive Landlording" I change it to this current long, descriptive, and full of adjective ad.

Not sure what I should do about that.

MonteDobson

Registered
Most of the rental websites are great because you can measure your viewing traffic by the number of "hits" on your ad. This will be a good indication to see if people are even looking at the ad. If you are getting good "hits" but no applications, then there may be something else going on (ie. curb appeal, property mgt etc). But you first need to get people looking at your ad, not the thousands of other one`s that you are competing against.

The first thing to catch peoples eye is the title, not the price. So be creative, funny, witty and if something isn`t working don`t be afraid to change it up and try something else.

With regards to length of your ad, why not post a short version and a long one to see for yourself where you are getting the best response. This is espcecially easy on the free sites like Kijiji. The last ad I posted on Kijiji had over 1000 hits in a week!!

Lastly, you need to differentiate yourself from the crowd, so why not offer a small incentive to potential renters. I have used gift cards, small TV`s, electronics etc which can be effective for someone to choose your home over someone elses.

That is the joy of this business...if something isn;t working, take control and change it as YOU ARE THE BOSS!!

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Play the role of your prospect.

Get onto Google (because that is where the majority start) and start searching for the many different word combinations that your prospect might be using. Notice what web-sites are on the top and THAT is where you should advertise. Go where your prospects are is a real key.

Make sure that the pictures are fantastic, check out your competition and ensure your price is right.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
great write up .. albeit a tad look !

be more patient !

$1295 in the NE + utilities might be too high .. depending on location and access to LRT, buses ..

is there a sign in the window that states "For rent - Phone #" ?

Did you advertise in Edmonton Journal or Renter`s Guide ?

Are there flyers @ nearby schools, universities` bulletin boards, Safeway ?

How about this: ATTENTION STUDENTS - ONLY $450/month in BRAND NEW TOWNHOUSE
or

GREAT FOR KIDS !

nepoez

Registered
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the feedback and support! I have leanred quite a few tricks from your responses and some of your private messages and I will try them out next time.

However it looks like the ad I had worked after all, this ad was changed just 4-5 days ago after revising my Quick Start notes and from some other REIN member suggestions(my awesome mortgage broker actually) and the PM is now just waiting for the deposit from the renter. Hope it follows through!

I`ll keep you all up to date and will try out your strategies on my next property!

Nepoez

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Sep 10 2008, 05:33 PM) great write up .. albeit a tad look !

be more patient !

$1295 in the NE + utilities might be too high .. depending on location and access to LRT, buses ..

or

GREAT FOR KIDS !

nepoez

Registered
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the tips. I`m actually writing all these things down in my checklist for the next vacancy. I`d like to know what you meant with the tip on "ATTENTION STUDENTS - ONLY $450/month in BRAND NEW TOWNHOUSE" though.

Nepoez

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Sep 10 2008, 05:33 PM) great write up .. albeit a tad look !

be more patient !

or

GREAT FOR KIDS !

Top Bottom