Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My recent experience as a potential tenant

mortgageman

Registered
My wife and I wanted to move to a specific neighbourhood in Edmonton so our oldest son could go to the community school in September. So rather than looking to buy we decided it might make more sense to rent an executive home and preserve capital for rental downpayments.
We have two little boys and a dog.
Let me tell you, if you have vacancies and want to cater to a group of people who have a hard time finding a place to live allow pets.
We made it clear to the landlords that we were also landlords and recognized we represented a higher wear and tear factor. We even in one case offered to refinish the floors at the end of our lease if we didn`t follow through with a purchase of the property when the landlord was ready to sell.
No one wanted to rent to us.
So, we decided to buy instead.
I guess the point of the story is that it can be really frustrating being a tenant and being turned down because you have a four legged member of the family. And if you don`t allow pets you`re eliminating a large pool of very good tenants. I`d rent to another landlord in a second. I`d even rent to me and my family.

REINteam

Registered
Had a very similar problem in college - big dog and college male...not a big pool of properties to pick from! I also drove across the country for grad school with my dog and had to stay in hotels...for tenancy and hotels I found the best solution was to bring the dog right in there with me before asking! He was very well trained, clean, etc and I always ended up finding a place to stay, without extra fees...even in Vegas with a big German Shepherd. But yes, tough, I feel your pain!

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (REINteam @ Aug 26 2010, 04:43 PM) Had a very similar problem in college - big dog and college male...not a big pool of properties to pick from! I also drove across the country for grad school with my dog and had to stay in hotels...for tenancy and hotels I found the best solution was to bring the dog right in there with me before asking! He was very well trained, clean, etc and I always ended up finding a place to stay, without extra fees...even in Vegas with a big German Shepherd. But yes, tough, I feel your pain!
Great post!

I had a similar situation. I found out to take my German Shepherd with me (lots of treats in hand) when looking at places and meeting landlords was the easiest way to get a place. She wasn`t so scary when munching on treats and sitting beside me.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I must disagree with your sentiment about renting to another landlord in a second. I have rented to people who have owned homes, managed properties, and owned rental properties, and none of them have been better tenants than any other. I would like to say that REIN members are different, but that is not necessarily so.

And much to my dismay, I have also had "completely housetrained" dogs destroy the flooring and half of the doors (the bottom half, strangely enough) in a house in less than 2 months. Still, I consider all pets, just as I consider all tenants.

It is unfortunate that some landlords do not see that there can be a winning combination. However, taking my experience above as an example, the cost and hassle of ripping out 3 bedrooms of carpet, sanitizing the floorboards, and replacing the flooring is huge. Add to that the difficulty in renting a stinky suite to new tenants or the cost of a month of vacancy while repairs are done so that you can show the suite properly, and I can see why many landlords do not consider pets.

Side note, which school?

Regards,
Sherilynn

mortgageman

Registered
Riverdale Elementary School - the one that was in the news this week about kindergarten being reinstated.

QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Aug 26 2010, 09:06 PM) I must disagree with your sentiment about renting to another landlord in a second. I have rented to people who have own homes, managed properties, and owned rental properties, and none of them have been better tenants than any other. I would like to say that REIN members are different, but that is not necessarily so.

And much to my dismay, I have also had "completely housetrained" dogs destroy the flooring and half of the doors (the bottom half, strangely enough) in a house in less than 2 months. Still, I consider all pets, just as I consider all tenants.

It is unfortunate that some landlords do not see that there can be a winning combination. However, taking my experience above as an example, the cost and hassle of ripping out 3 bedrooms of carpet, sanitizing the floorboards, and replacing the flooring is huge. Add to that the difficulty in renting a stinky suite to new tenants or the cost of a month of vacancy while repairs are done so that you can show the suite properly, and I can see why many landlords do not consider pets.

Side note, which school?

Regards,
Sherilynn

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Yes, I heard about it on the news. Sounds like an interesting school.

Regards,
Sherilynn

PropertySolution

Registered
I can appreciate what you have experienced as well, l have a small dog that is quiet and well trained yet I had difficulty finding a place when I sold my house. That is why I allow small pets. Although, I am very picky and do ask the prospective Tenant to bring the pet with them if possible when they come for the viewing. In some cases the pet is/was the only decent Tenant in the unit! LOL

Top Bottom