Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New apartment/Funky smell

TriniBini

New Forum Member
Registered
Good morning,

I am currently renting in Alberta, and have recently moved into a small 2-bedroom apartment with an open-space kitchen/living room. When I first went to see the apartment, there was a noticeable smell that I could not place (neither the scent nor the source of the scent), but I didn't give it a thought - I assumed it was cleaning solution or something from the steam clean, and would be gone once I took possession and, worst case, I aired out the place. At the time, I did ask if it was because the previous tenant was a smoker and they perhaps they used a solution to clean it. The property manager was unsure, and gave me a general "I think" answer.

It's been over a month since then, and almost a month since I moved in. The scent remains and is most noticeable when walking in the apartment, although I still do not know what the smell is (it is a sharp, high scent - almost salty), or where it comes from. It is in all the rooms (living room, kitchen -strongest scent - first bedroom) except the back bedroom, bathroom and laundry room (these three rooms are at the back of the unit). I have aired out the place each day for a week, steam cleaned the place twice (the second time doing a very deep steam clean), washed the walls, washed the vents, washed behind the stove, washed the cupboards and drawers, as well as the floor, released an odour bomb, cleaned out the dish washer basket, filter, arms, have tested the drain pump, and have also checked the pipes beneath the kitchen sink.

I am wondering what to do at this point. Is this simply apartment living and toughen up, or can I ask the Property Manager for assistance in diagnosing the scent? I am not sure I can live 12 months like this.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Get an aerator. ( also called ozonator). Comes in various strength levels as it emits ozone. I had a house once with extremely strong smell from a fire. Stage 1 ozonator was too weak but stage 2 did the trick. Usually you have to leave the apartment for a day or so, i.e. do it when you go away for a weekend.

Rent them and do it yourself or hire a company.

Last edited:

TriniBini

New Forum Member
Registered
Get an aerator. ( also called ozonator). Comes in various strength levels as it emits ozone. I had a house once with extremely strong smell from a fire. Stage 1 ozonator was too weak but stage 2 did the trick. Usually you have to leave the apartment for a day or so, i.e. do it when you go away for a weekend.

I will do this and let you know how it works. Thanks!

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Is a ozonator safe to use when there is adjacent apartments that share the same air and those occupants are in the building while its being ozonated? Just curious

Lisa

TriniBini

New Forum Member
Registered
I was also wondering this (if adjacent apartments are affected). So for the vents, would I put something over them? I'm assuming I share ventilation with the other apartments.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Yes it can't affect others. Remove food, pets, plants & people. Follow instructions or hire a professional.

tnguyen

Registered
Ozonator will kill all the living thing: moldy smell etc... After 48 hrs you have to open all the windows for air replacement. we did many growth op houses and it works great.

TriniBini

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi! After some discussions, my landlord will allow me to run an ozone generator in the place. It is a 860 square foot apartment, and I've been reading that the strength of the ozone generator strength should be 1000 milligrams per hour (mgh) for every 100 sq ft., so I would get 8000 mg/hr strength ozonator. However, how long would you run that for? 1 day?

Top Bottom