Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Basement Bathroom

mplut

REIN Member
We`re putting in a bathroom in an otherwise finished basement to add value to a recently-purchased townhome.

We have a contractor but are tasked with purchasing the fixtures.

With both form and function in mind I`d appreciate advice from experienced members as to what to spend money on (and what NOT to spend money on), and what to include in order to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Margaret

ibuildstuff

Registered
1. Toilet
2. Large china sink
3. 48-60" shower or tub/shower
4. Good sized vanity
5. Large mirror (not oval or framed)
6. Generous lighting over mirror & light over shower/tub
7. Good bath fan
8. Mirrored medicine cabinet
9. Nice bath hardware (towel bar, TP holder, shower rod)
10. Finish the bathroom in neutral colors, and basically match your existing finish in the home.

Nice basic functional bathroom, nothing extravagent. And remember, garbage in = garbage out...if you buy the cheapest fixtures you can find, they will perform as such!!!

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (mplut @ Aug 26 2009, 02:19 PM) We`re putting in a bathroom in an otherwise finished basement to add value to a recently-purchased townhome.

We have a contractor but are tasked with purchasing the fixtures.

With both form and function in mind I`d appreciate advice from experienced members as to what to spend money on (and what NOT to spend money on), and what to include in order to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Something that sent up a red flag for me is the fact that you are tasked with purchasing the fixtures. Is this your choice or does your contractor want you to purchase the fixtures.

Most reputable, ticketed plumbers have wholesale plumbing suppliers that they deal with. Even the cheapest professional faucets you get through the wholesalers are better quality than some of the expensive fixtures you will find in retail stores.

I`ve learn from experience you will get more life and reliability from professional quality fixtures.

Most reputable plumbers will advise you to go with the quality fixtures.

Top Bottom