Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Office to Residential conversion.

investornewbie

Registered
I currently have a commercial building in my family that has been vacant for a number of years. It's currently zoned as office space, however I checked with the city and it can also be zoned for residential units. Is this a viable option worth pursuing? I done some research. I found estimates for the average cost to construct a single unit being around 90-100k. Is this accurate?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Step 1: phone the city / municipality but if the zoning allows multiple designation then you are probably ok.

Step 2: check parking rules and other code issues with current exterior of building, say roofs, walls, ceiling heights, foundation that are all valuable and ought to be re-used as much as possible

Step 3: talk to a general contractor about your rough plans. I'd say $80/sq ft as a broad ball park, plus or minus 25%, assuming the outside walls, roof and the foundation can be reused.

3canctheayr

Registered
The cost per square foot that Thomas noted should be right in the ball park. It depends how much mechanical infrastructure and other structural changes you may have to do to create residential units.

Some other things to consider are what the rents would realistically be and how much demand there would for people to live in that building. What else is nearby? More residential?, or more commercial? Or mixed?

If you are in a high demand area with high rents such as Toronto, Van, or Calgary, you might be sitting on a potential gold mine.

eddyb1978

Registered
i agree with Thomas.

Another thing to factor in is an approx 8 to 10K of city development fees per unit. Again you need to meet with the city and explore everything ahead of time, some cities may waive the development fees under certain conditions. We did a couple of projects 2 years ago converting rooming houses to Multiplexes and commercial units to residential...

Cheers,

--

cleardot.gif
Eddy Boudiwan

President

Real Estate Rangers & Taft Forward Management Joint Venture

250 Davisville Ave, Toronto, ON M4S 1H2, Canada

Email: eddyb/span>@realestaterangers.ca

Cel: 647-218-7925 Fax : 416-482-8010

Over 1400 Apartments under management and growing.

Fully structured & managed Real Estate Investments. Canada/USA

www.realestaterangers.ca www.taft-forward.com

Top Bottom