Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Oil-fired heating, with radiant baseboards

holymoly

Registered
I`m considering purchasing a house in Ontario that has a 3-year-young oil tank (in the basement, not buried or outdoors), an old boiler, and radiant baseboards (like radiators, not electric). There are no ducts, so switching to forced air natural gas isn`t feasible. But I see online that there are gas-fired boilers that can be used with rads, so I`m assuming they can also be used with radiant baseboards. Does anyone have experience with this?

I don`t know if making the switch would be cost-effective in the long-term or not, but I`ve heard that insurance companies insist that oil tanks be replaced every 15 years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (holymoly @ Jan 10 2010, 02:50 PM) I`m considering purchasing a house in Ontario that has a 3-year-young oil tank (in the basement, not buried or outdoors), an old boiler, and radiant baseboards (like radiators, not electric). There are no ducts, so switching to forced air natural gas isn`t feasible. But I see online that there are gas-fired boilers that can be used with rads, so I`m assuming they can also be used with radiant baseboards. Does anyone have experience with this?

I don`t know if making the switch would be cost-effective in the long-term or not, but I`ve heard that insurance companies insist that oil tanks be replaced every 15 years.

I`m not sure what research you`ve done but I would stick with the current system and a gas fired boiler. Hot water heating is under utilized and under rated in this country. In the Netherlands almost all heating is hot water and it is very even heat and very comfortable and efficient.

LukasWywrot

REIN Member
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 10 2010, 06:21 PM) I`m not sure what research you`ve done but I would stick with the current system and a gas fired boiler. Hot water heating is under utilized and under rated in this country. In the Netherlands almost all heating is hot water and it is very even heat and very comfortable and efficient.

NiagaraInvestor

Registered
QUOTE (holymoly @ Jan 10 2010, 02:50 PM) I`m considering purchasing a house in Ontario that has a 3-year-young oil tank (in the basement, not buried or outdoors), an old boiler, and radiant baseboards (like radiators, not electric). There are no ducts, so switching to forced air natural gas isn`t feasible. But I see online that there are gas-fired boilers that can be used with rads, so I`m assuming they can also be used with radiant baseboards. Does anyone have experience with this? I don`t know if making the switch would be cost-effective in the long-term or not, but I`ve heard that insurance companies insist that oil tanks be replaced every 15 years.

If it`s a boiler it simply heats water and there should be reason this won`t and isn`t working with the current baseboard style rads.  These are simply a more modern version of the old upright ones associated with hot water heat.

Anyways, oil is nasty expensive stuff.  If it`s an old oil boiler I`d consider replacing it with a gas fired unit.  I`d also have it inspected to ensure it`s safe and doesn`t get red tagged the next time it needs service.

Maybe the seller can contribute towards a new unit..

But most importantly I`d be concerned about the presence of asbestos that usually come with old boilers.   Legally the seller does not have to disclose it`s presence so you must look for it.

No problem if you know what your looking.

Just out of interest where in Ontario is the property?

holymoly

Registered
Good to hear that people like radiant (hot water) heating systems. I`m not considering putting in ductwork, just changing the boiler. I`m glad to know that sounds doable, though perhaps expensive.

Thanks for the heads-up re: asbestos. One more reason to change the boiler. I`m not keen on oil myself... but someone just told me that switching out their oil-fueled boiler for a natural gas-fueled boiler cost about $6000. That`s a lot of money.

The house is in Hamilton.

housingrental

Registered
holymoly - note asbestos might be a reason not to change the boiler. You need to get someone in who knows what there doing - $$$ - it might (or might not ) be OK as is

NiagaraInvestor

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 12 2010, 07:35 PM) holymoly - note asbestos might be a reason not to change the boiler. You need to get someone in who knows what there doing - $$ - it might (or might not ) be OK as is

The issue here is that often home owners are forced to get the asbestos removed when the boiler konks out and gets red tagged because it`s so old and more difficult to service.  Although they are ineficient and should be replaced, the fact that these heating companies are in the biz of selling boilers comes into play also...

That being said it is superior heat compared to forced air..

To the OP get multiple quotes but $6,000 is not unreasonable a decent forced unit can easily cost that... 

holymoly

Registered
QUOTE (NiagaraInvestor @ Jan 13 2010, 08:50 AM) The issue here is that often home owners are forced to get the asbestos removed when the boiler konks out and gets red tagged because it`s so old and more difficult to service. Although they are ineficient and should be replaced, the fact that these heating companies are in the biz of selling boilers comes into play also...

That being said it is superior heat compared to forced air..

To the OP get multiple quotes but $6,000 is not unreasonable a decent forced unit can easily cost that...

Okay, thanks -- good to know.

NiagaraInvestor

Registered
QUOTE (holymoly @ Jan 13 2010, 08:43 AM) Okay, thanks -- good to know.

Oh I forgot, if you buy the place, get an eco energy audit before you replace the boiler.  I`m pretty sure you can get up to $1500 back for the prov and fed govt`s for energy saving retrofits like these but you need to get the test done then after the work is completed they come for a follow up...

holymoly

Registered
QUOTE (NiagaraInvestor @ Jan 16 2010, 10:09 AM) Oh I forgot, if you buy the place, get an eco energy audit before you replace the boiler. I`m pretty sure you can get up to $1500 back for the prov and fed govt`s for energy saving retrofits like these but you need to get the test done then after the work is completed they come for a follow up...
Awesome advice. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom