Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ontario LL`s, offering rent rebates.

invst4profit

Registered
I know that some LLs offer rent rebates for such things as paying rent on time etc and am interested in knowing if Ontario LLs are offering anything similar.

What I am looking for is a way around the fact that in Ontario the RTA states there are no "fees" allowed. In particular in dealing with the fact that LLs are not allowed to prevent tenants from having pets nor are we allowed to charging a additional fee or damage deposits if they do have pets.

Do any LLs in Ontario
set there rent high and then offer a reduced rent for tenants without pets or any other creative ways around the RTA/pet problem.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Greg

I`m not aware of any good solution to charge more for pets

As far as I know the only option is you can provide a prompt payment discount if stated in your lease and if rent isn`t received by the first ask for rent / 0.98 to be provided.

smalltown

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Dec 23 2009, 11:20 AM) I know that some LLs offer rent rebates for such things as paying rent on time etc and am interested in knowing if Ontario LLs are offering anything similar.

What I am looking for is a way around the fact that in Ontario the RTA states there are no "fees" allowed. In particular in dealing with the fact that LLs are not allowed to prevent tenants from having pets nor are we allowed to charging a additional fee or damage deposits if they do have pets.

Do any LLs in Ontario
set there rent high and then offer a reduced rent for tenants without pets or any other creative ways around the RTA/pet problem.

I charge higher rents because my large single family homes are rare in the area so I can.

I expect late rent and pets as just about every applicant has a pet or always has an excuse. It`s just too easy to scr*w Ontario landlords thanks to the provincial government.

By having these laws, the Ontario government is inadvertantly driving up rents.

I would think pet owners move around less as it`s hard to find a nice place that accepts pets.

invst4profit

Registered
Your probably right about them moving less. The problem I always had with charging higher rents to adjust for the possibility of tenants with dogs is the higher rent discouraged those without dogs.
Your situation is better suited to attract tenants that will pay more (location, type of housing etc.).

I am just curious to find out if any LL has offered the reverse incentive of a lower rent for no pets. The problem of course is the tenants bring in a pet after agreeing not to for the lower rent.

Could the reverse incentive allow the LL to then jack the rent to the original amount without it being viewed as a "fee" by the LTB? I know rent rebates are allowed but has anyone in Ontario tried this approach in dealing with the LTBs insane ruling on pet restrictions?

Top Bottom