Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Option - Round Robin Failure Need Advice

Debbie

Registered
Hi Everyone,

We got an option on a house in Priddis (expensive area south of Calgary) and did a Round Robin style auction based on the book "How to Sell a House in 5 Days" by Bill Effros 2 weekends ago. We could not find a buyer unfortunately, so we decided to share our lessons learned here and ask for some advice for next time.

The house was 16 yrs old, 1443 sq.ft, and on 5.8 acres with a nice big shop as well...without seeing the house or thoroughly looking into property values we agreed on an option price of $730,000 (we looked at listings before agreeing, then solds after). This was our first mistake, however, even when we got solds there was nothing good to compare to and we still thought we had a decent chance of selling around $730,000.

We marketed for 5 days prior to the Sat-Sun 12-4PM open house mainly through kijiji, but we also put an ad in the Western Wheel (Okotoks` local newspaper), and we got bang on the recommended 25 calls or emails by Fri night. We thought we were doing alright.

We also spend a TON of time building signs using a massive sheet of corrugated plastic from Home Depot ($20 made 6 realtorish sized signs plus a large banner sign for the owners fence on 22X. We will be ordering signs next time...the headache received from an afternoon spent with a very strong smelling sharpie pen was not worth it).

The open house sat and sun went well as far as interest, we had 35 parties come through, with about 6-8 groups being very interested, doing their homework, and some coming back twice. We had the book on display for people to read which has a section for buyers to read on how to bid strategically etc., which only a couple people took advantage of (unfortunately). We also had a property inspection, well report, and comparable listings available for people to check out.

As stated in the book, we put the minimum bid at the lower "magic number" of half of what we wanted, which wound up being $349,500. By Sun at 4PM the high bid on the initial bid sheet was $376,000...we started to get worried. The Round Robin started at 7 Sun night, and was a complete failure. We had 12 bidders, all who thought they could buy the house for under $500k (we were off on our value estimation, but not by that much...it`s probably worth between $650-700k). So over the course of 3 hours we had people bidding by $500-5000 at a time, and at 10PM we had 2 buyers left and the high bid was $482,000. We called the round robin process and told the 2 buyers they could put in offers if they wished, however, unfortunately neither was willing to offer more than $650,000, and the seller would take no less than $700k. We did get one serious buyer who dropped out of the Round Robin early but called first thing Monday morning to inquire whether it sold or not. She was going to place an offer in collaboration with another couple but things fell thru.

Major lessons learned for us:

- Order generic signs to point people in the right direction, ugly handmade signs with more detailed information attracted primarily looky-loos and nosy neighbors.
- List the starting bid price much higher than 50% (we`re thinking maybe 75-80%)???
- Encourage more people to read the buyers strategy section
- Change the round robin format from phone calls to something else (i`m thinking maybe a gotomeeting or conference call...something where everyone is there so you don`t have to worry about people not answering their phone and that will speed up the process...it took WAY too long!)

This was our experience, we do want to try it again on an easier house with more systematizing...but for those who have done lots of these we have a few questions:

- How do you do the Round Robin portion? Phone calls, conference call, gotomeeting, ebay...?
- What do you set the initial bid price at, and what are the increments of bidding ($500 or $1000 etc.)?
- What price range and area of house have you used this on?
- What percentage of market value do the houses sell for...higher or lower than what you would expect market value to be?

Hopefully this is of some help to others, and thank you in advance to anyone experienced who offers advice.

TerryKruse

Registered
Congratulations Debbie on at trying the sale and learning from it.

The Round Robin process is fairly new to our area so you really do have to have a lower starting price. You also have to have the right property. This process is ideal if you can sell the home under market value. Something I learned when I did a Round Robin. The property has to be pristine and staged if needed. You want someone to fall in love with it enough to bid higher than others. It has to be too good to let get away.

It will not work for every home.

It would seem that there was a good turnout for a rural property so this part is good, but it usually takes a lot longer to sell rural, no matter how nice it is. There are less buyers.

If you made the signs generic you could use them for another sale. We used ours for a Round Robin and for a private sale and open houses for one of our own properties. They were extremely successful as we had at least 50 people in each day we used the signs. They differentiate you from a realtor or professional auction house - so people perceive that they will get a better price. I will use our "ugly" signs the next time I get this type of opportunity. The marker smell was awful so it is better to reuse than remake.

I am not sure about getting people to read the buyer strategy section.. We retyped an information sheet, blew it up as a poster and had take away flyers with the auction information. This was also posted in a nearby Safeway, Coop and Sobeys.

I really like the idea of changing the phone calls to a conference call. This is a great idea!

There was a developer auction last Sunday, May 2, in Cochrane http://www.cochranelakes.com/ where lot starting bids were $90k from a perceived value of $680k. I wonder how this went. A different kind of auction but I would bet that it was based on the same principles.

Congratulations on taking action.

Terry

RedlineBrett

Registered
Very important for REIN quick turners to be careful how you are advertising your services and what YOU are bringing to the deal.

Remember - you are not a licensed realtor and face some pretty serious consequences if you are perceived to be selling the house on behalf of the seller and making money while doing so.

As more investors are trying out their quick-turn strategies more realtors are complaining about it and the powers that be are starting to take notice.

Debbie

Registered
Thanks Terry for your insights!

Brett,
Is there something specific with the option and round robin sale (marketing, signs or ?)that we should be careful about or do differently to avoid being seen as acting as a realtor. Are there other quickturn strategies that are getting negative attention from realtors and the powers that be?

Please expand as much as possible. Myself and I`m sure everyone else doing the quickturn real estate would appreciate your insight on guidelines and cautions to ensure we play by the rules.

Debbie

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Debbie @ May 4 2010, 06:56 PM) Thanks Terry for your insights!

Brett,
Is there something specific with the option and round robin sale (marketing, signs or ?)that we should be careful about or do differently to avoid being seen as acting as a realtor.

Do not ever advertise or say to anyone that you don`t actually own the house, or that you are a `middle man` of any sort. You are allowed to sell FSBO... you just cannot sell a house for someone else and make a profit if you do not have a license.

I have no idea what your marketing material looks but if all you are advertising is `house for sale` or `auction` you`re fine. It`s what you and your contracts say to prospective buyers and your contract with your seller that matter.

R

RussellWestcott

This is exactly why Barry McGuire is holding his Deal Ready documents workshop in Calgary May 15th.

Nothing better than have a lawyer go through exactly what and how you should be working with Options. Plus you can bring all your questions with you to be answered by a lawyer who has been closing real estate deals for more than 35 years.

Barry will be specifically dealing with Options at his workshop, amongst many other things.

There are still a few spaces left for this event, but I imagine they are going quickly.

If you want more information on this event... click here for all the details

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ May 5 2010, 09:27 AM) Do not ever advertise or say to anyone that you don`t actually own the house, or that you are a `middle man` of any sort. You are allowed to sell FSBO... you just cannot sell a house for someone else and make a profit if you do not have a license.

I have no idea what your marketing material looks but if all you are advertising is `house for sale` or `auction` you`re fine. It`s what you and your contracts say to prospective buyers and your contract with your seller that matter.

Hi Brett

Do you know where we can find the Alberta Legislation pertaining to the restriction of someone selling real estate that doesn`t have a real estate license? I am curious on how it reads and the exemptions attached. I understand it varies from province to province.

Thanks

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (MarkTorgerson @ May 5 2010, 11:15 AM) Hi BrettDo you know where we can find the Alberta Legislation pertaining to the restriction of someone selling real estate that doesn`t have a real estate license? I am curious on how it reads and the exemptions attached. I understand it varies from province to province.
Thanks

The real estate act is linked here.

http://www.reca.ca/industry/content/legisl...2008_linked.pdf

RECA, the governing body for real estate industry members, is pretty good with answering questions about the act or behaviors that would fall within it. Here is their home page.

http://www.reca.ca/splash.htm

My interpretation of it (and I am not a lawyer but I don`t think this is too heavy) is based on the following

"“real estate broker” means
(i) a person who, for another or others and for
consideration or other compensation, either alone or
through one or more persons, trades in real estate"

And then later where they define trade

(x) “trade” includes any of the following:
(i) a disposition or acquisition of, or transaction in, real
estate by purchase or sale;
(ii) an offer to purchase or sell real estate;
RSA 2000
Section 2 REAL ES TATE ACT Chapter R-5
(iii) an offering, advertisement, listing or showing of real
estate for purchase or sale;
(iv) property management;
(v) holding oneself out as trading in real estate;
(vi) the solicitation, negotiation or obtaining of a
contract, agreement or any arrangement for an
activity referred to in subclauses (i) to (v);
(vii) collecting, or offering or attempting to collect, on
behalf of the owner or other person in charge of real
estate, money payable as
(A) rent for the use of the real estate, or
(B) contributions for the control, management or
administration of the real estate;
(viii) any conduct or act in furtherance or attempted
furtherance of an activity referred to in subclauses (i)
to (vii).

The best exception for quick turners is under this

Application
2(1) This Act as it relates to trading in real estate does not apply to

a person
(i) who acquires real estate or any interest in real estate,

So you are ok if you show that you have an interest in whatever piece of real estate you are trading. How you define an "interest" is where I`ll leave it to the lawyers to decide... but that`s the line you`re treading. Could you be totally fine with a one-pager signed by the seller? Probably if the one-page was done right... would it still look suspicious enough for RECA to start an investigation? I`d say yes.. but who knows.

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ May 5 2010, 11:51 AM) The real estate act is linked here.http://www.reca.ca/industry/content/legisl...2008_linked.pdf

RECA, the governing body for real estate industry members, is pretty good with answering questions about the act or behaviors that would fall within it. Here is their home page.

http://www.reca.ca/splash.htm

My interpretation of it (and I am not a lawyer but I don`t think this is too heavy) is based on the following

""real estate broker" means
(i) a person who, for another or others and for
consideration or other compensation, either alone or
through one or more persons, trades in real estate"

And then later where they define trade

(x) "trade" includes any of the following:
(i) a disposition or acquisition of, or transaction in, real
estate by purchase or sale;
(ii) an offer to purchase or sell real estate;
RSA 2000
Section 2 REAL ES TATE ACT Chapter R-5
(iii) an offering, advertisement, listing or showing of real
estate for purchase or sale;
(iv) property management;
(v) holding oneself out as trading in real estate;
(vi) the solicitation, negotiation or obtaining of a
contract, agreement or any arrangement for an
activity referred to in subclauses (i) to (v);
(vii) collecting, or offering or attempting to collect, on
behalf of the owner or other person in charge of real
estate, money payable as
(A) rent for the use of the real estate, or
(B) contributions for the control, management or
administration of the real estate;
(viii) any conduct or act in furtherance or attempted
furtherance of an activity referred to in subclauses (i)
to (vii).

The best exception for quick turners is under this

Application
2(1) This Act as it relates to trading in real estate does not apply to

© a person
(i) who acquires real estate or any interest in real estate,

So you are ok if you show that you have an interest in whatever piece of real estate you are trading. How you define an "interest" is where I`ll leave it to the lawyers to decide... but that`s the line you`re treading. Could you be totally fine with a one-pager signed by the seller? Probably if the one-page was done right... would it still look suspicious enough for RECA to start an investigation? I`d say yes.. but who knows.

Good info!!
Thanks Brett

GordonDaniel

Registered
I agree, thanks for the great input Brett! Your contributions are appreciated.

Gord

QUOTE (MarkTorgerson @ May 5 2010, 01:58 PM) Good info!!
Thanks Brett

jseib

Registered
Just a thought but was that starting price suggestion intended for houses worth that much?

I could see if you had a 150,000 house and started at 75,000 but to create such a massive spread of 350,000 people really have to go back and forth a lot to reach that price range.. At 5k increments you would need 70 bids vs the example I used above where you would need 15

Just my line of thinking... I may be entirely off the mark

Debbie

Registered
QUOTE (jseib @ May 5 2010, 03:02 PM) Just a thought but was that starting price suggestion intended for houses worth that much?

I could see if you had a 150,000 house and started at 75,000 but to create such a massive spread of 350,000 people really have to go back and forth a lot to reach that price range.. At 5k increments you would need 70 bids vs the example I used above where you would need 15

Just my line of thinking... I may be entirely off the mark

The book we referenced said to use this method of determining the starting bid even on million dollar houses and the logic of increasing the bid by $500 is because no one will drop out of the bidding over $500. But our experience tells us otherwise. After several round robin rounds we told people this is going very slowly and we are no where near the reserve price. We had told everyone when viewing the house there was an undisclosed minimum reserve...and $349,500 was only the starting bid as obviously this house would not sell for that price. We put out the book with the buyers section flagged which gave buyers bidding strategies. The main one being pre-emptive bidding where you jump the bid price up by a large amount to knock the buyers who are not serious out of the bidding. No one used this strategy. Setting the price at half of what you want brought in dreamers that really thought they could buy it near half price even though we thought we were very clear that was only a starting bid. I would set the starting bid higher next time as well as the minimum amount you must increase the next bid by.

BarryMcGuire

REIN Member
Very useful comments by Brett. anyone interested in this creative strategy should re-read those comments as well as the excerpts from the Real Estate Act. I would also caution everyone to never ever say to a seller as you discuss the creative strategy, "I will sell your house for you". Brett pointed out that it is an exception to the trading in real estate rule if you acquire real estate or an `interest` in real estate. If you have a signed real estate purchase contract you have an `interest` as a buyer. If you have an option, you have an`interest` in that you have the right to buy. try and keep it in your mind that you are attempting to turn your `interest` in real estate into money in your pocket. A sideline of you helping yourself might be that the seller sells his home but that is not your primary concern.

Cheers

Top Bottom